Nelson Mandela Dies 1918- 2013

Voinjama

Very sad news. Not shocking, given his health issues. But his loss will be staggering nonetheless. An icon to millions, a true legend. 

I remember seeing him when he came to Boston not long after he was released from prison. Incredible excitement, and a real sense that young people, from universities around the world, were instrumental in exposing and isolating the SA regime and forcing them to release him.

Not many men would be able to walk out of a cage after 25 odd years and shake the hand of his jailer.

He lived the very lesson the world's holy books espouse.

R.I.P.

• Like 1

Anyone who is not aware of what Madela did for the world and why he is such a loss to everyone should watch this short obituary on the BBC:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-10773745

He is a man who fought oppression, hate-crime, white dominance and the horrendous treatment towards black people in South Africa (and elsewhere) without ever condoning violence towards the oppressors. Instead, he begged for peaceful reconciliation and the ending of apartheid through democratic and diplomatic means. He never gave up in his fight and he never wavered in his belief in finding a non-violent solution, even after he had been imprisoned for 27 years by those he protested against. Even AFTER that, he sought a solution through peace and democracy. And he gained it for South Africa. I don't think any other man in the world could have done it after what he'd been through. He sacrificed his life for the good of the world.

• Like 1

Can't be real.

Why am I feeling that there was something a bit dark about Mandela? Did a propaganda machine affect me as a child?

Must go and research more.

He did some horrible stuff in the beginning but what happens after is what makes him the man everyone looks up to.

His dark side came around the time his peaceful methods were responded to by the murder of 69 unarmed civilians. He decided to fight fire with fire which didn't go down well with the ones who owned all the fire.

Hearing O'Bama wax lyrical about him, I couldn't help wondering how quickly his modern America would have put '60s Mandela into Guantanamo never to be seen again. The world has changed alright. Some of it for the better...

• Like 4

Nah, express how you really feel, if you want to. 

I don't really have any feelings on the man or his death. Call it ignorance, but I was never taught about the man in school and it's something I never looked into myself at any point. The extent of my knowledge of Nelson Mandela is that he went to jail for a long time, and that is literally only because of that damn song.

I usually find the criticism toward Mandela comes from white people who have conveniently benefited from hundreds of years of violent oppression, yet when violence is turned toward the oppressor, they suddenly find they have a pacifist streak.

That is not to say the man is immune from criticism, but it shouldn't be so lazy.

R.I.P.

He was an icon and handled post-apartheid South Africa very well. At least he's not suffering anymore.

It's just a shame some are bringing political agendas into this thread.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 1

R.I.P.

He was an icon and handled post-apartheid South Africa very well. At least he's not suffering anymore.

It's just a shame some are bringing political agendas into this thread.

Who?

Â