Nelson Mandela Dies 1918- 2013

Voinjama

Open to correction on this, but I think Jirryuddums actually WAS a terrorist :)

Edit: As far as the public record goes it seems he was about as much of one as Mandela, i.e. not really at all. Once again, open to correction.

Edited by CrackpotForeigner

Even if he had been a terrorist in his younger days, surely his work has more than made up for it since.

Bit like Gerry Adams of IRA infamy?

now there's a thread that should start just after dark....

• Like 1

One only has to apply the tiniest amount of common sense when finding words to describe Mandela. It's quite legitimate and highly appropriate that Mandela's legacy is not allowed to be sullied by inappropriate language. Freedom fighter is a far more appropriate term than terrorist, as there was no grey area it was, excuse the pun - black and white. It was his mission to gain equality for a downtrodden, repressed people, NOTHING more. He was truly a freedom fighter, not a terrorist. Unfortunately, revolutions are almost always bloody, but the blood is not and never was on Mandela's hands. Mandela, apart from his unbelievable spirit and determination, knew when to push, when he needed to be ruthless, when he needed to listen and when he needed to be heard. He knew, and was overjoyed when violence could finally give way to peace. In short, he played an absolute blinder. Is the word terrorist appropriate? Never. It never was, and it's certainly not today, in retrospect of his life.

Edited by Kingfisher
  • Like 4

I prefer that you quote my whole post and not reply to the sentence that offended you most. I know the truth hurts, but face the facts.

I actually "Liked" your post dude, I just happen to agree with Awol (for once!) that you were a bit heavy with the R word. I don't know what "truth" is supposed to hurt here, or what "facts" I should be facing, but if my suspicions are correct you are well out of order. At least read my posts properly before turning nasty on me.

And what's with the "white man's dictionary" deal? A dictionary is a dictionary.

Sorry, the reply was to Awol, not you. I liked your reply. He has got a habit of supporting European colonialists everywhere they are in the world.

Sorry, the reply was to Awol, not you. I liked your reply. He has got a habit of supporting European colonialists everywhere they are in the world.

That's because Europeans (white folks with dictionaries and stuff) are an ethnic minority globally, as are white South Africans in the land of their birth. Discriminating against them is racist and you should be ashamed of yourself.

Anyway, has anyone checked to make sure Bono is okay?

Using something written in a book at Oxford...

Don't we have Levi's home state (and its sons/daughters) to thank for the dictionary Awol referenced? :)

You are missing Momo's essential point so I'll reprint it:

Using something written in a book at Oxford to support an argument, does not make the argument valid in Africa.

Or put another way one doesn't win arguments in Africa with words...which is probably something he and I would agree on.

That's because Europeans (white folks with dictionaries and stuff) are an ethnic minority globally, as are white South Africans in the land of their birth. Discriminating against them is racist and you should be ashamed of yourself.

Thank you for making me understand. Now go ahead  and discover and colonize other inhabited places that are far away from where you come from and call it your own. Oh wait, you've done that already. (I don't mean you in particular).

Thank you for making me understand. Now go ahead  and discover and colonize other inhabited places that are far away from where you come from and call it your own. Oh wait, you've done that already. (I don't mean you in particular).

So do you consider white South Africans to be Africans or white Europeans?

Or put another way one doesn't win arguments in Africa with words...

Huh?

So do you consider white South Africans to be Africans or white Europeans?

Who cares? Nelson Mandela won!

Edited by momo

A true African knows that the true terrorists are those who colonized their continent, enslaved their people, ruled with iron fists and refused to acknowledge black people as equal. That white leaders hide behind office desks does not free them from atrocities they committed. Among many evil people, P W Botha and his supporter Margareth Tatcher where the true terrorists and killers of innocent people. It was so fun seeing the British leadership lick Mandela's ass after he was released, just like yours "he was good after the release". Bunch of hypocrites. NELSON ROLIHLAHLA MANDELA WAS ALWAYS GOOD! May he rest in peace

Wow! That's some anger. These bits........

enslaved their people, ruled with iron fists and refused to acknowledge black people as equal.........and killers of innocent people

........could so easily apply to many black African leaders.

:) I stand by what I said. Using something written in a book at Oxford to support an argument, does not make the argument valid in Africa. And the last one is a cheap shot and I do not want to elaborate on that except that there are plenty of Western powers behind a lot of these African dictators.

Not cheap at all, merely an observation.

I would venture that the prejudice that you display is exactly the kind that Mandela dedicated his life to fight against.

But hey, it is the oppressor that makes the rules. I should have known.

If that's your excuse/reasoning for the 'white man's dictionary' thing then you ought to phrase it better in future if you don't wish to come across as prejudiced.

I am sorry if you are offended, but that is not even a drop in the ocean of what black people had/has to experience, and I wont let some dude use a dictionary from Europe to tell me that a freedom fighter like Nelson Mandela is anything but... Anyway, we can stop now. I am sorry this went a bit far. If you like comedy, this is something for you:

I am sorry if you are offended, but that is not even a drop in the ocean of what black people had/has to experience...

Using the problems and more of black people over the ages as an excuse for the crass stupidity of your posts insults them and their struggles much more than it offends me. Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

I am sorry if you are offended, but that is not even a drop in the ocean of what black people had/has to experience...

Using the problems and more of black people over the ages as an excuse for your crass stupidity insults them and their struggles much more than it offends me.

Actually, I think it offends you a lot. But I am stopping here, because you are only taking extracts of what I write, so stupid is what you are. Read the original post again and go do something else.

Actually, I think it offends you a lot.

Indeed 'it' does - which just goes to show how much 'it' (by which I mean the continued and unabashed justification(s) for your prejudice) puts two fingers up to people who may have shed actual tears, blood and more in the cause of the oppressed.

Â