2014 FIFA World Cup

BOF

The next 3 world cups look like they could involve a lot of off the field politics which is a shame. The world cup is supposed to be about the sport, not where it's being hosted. I wish Fifa would just keep the world cup in areas that would not have potential troubles. I don't really care if one nations gets the world cup twice within 30 years. It's silly to put it in places like Brazil, Russia and Qatar with all the off the field nonsense going on there. 

• Like 1

The next 3 world cups look like they could involve a lot of off the field politics which is a shame. The world cup is supposed to be about the sport, not where it's being hosted. I wish Fifa would just keep the world cup in areas that would not have potential troubles. I don't really care if one nations gets the world cup twice within 30 years. It's silly to put it in places like Brazil, Russia and Qatar with all the off the field nonsense going on there. 

Yes but it's all about the brown envelopes. Shame the English and Australian FA's didn't realise that instead of David f****** Beckham and David Cameron as diplomats. Money is the only, the ONLY thing that FIFA gives a f*** about.

• Like 2

I agree. It's ridiculous. Brazil isn't so bad in that at least it's home to historically the best national team on Earth but Russia and Qatar were just ridiculous choices. Of all the candidates for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups those were the only ones that would throw up any major problems.

Edited by Mantis

Over 400 migrant workers have died building stadiums in Qatar since 2010. Human Rights Organisations estimate it could hit 4,000 by 2022. Absolutely disgusting. FIFA need to strip them of the World Cup.

Edited by The_Steve

I agree that compared to Qatar Russia wasn't too bad a choice but it was still by far the worst choice of all the prospective 2018 hosts. England, Spain/Portugal and Belgium/Netherlands all would've been far better hosts.

• Like 1

Over 400 migrant workers have died building stadiums in Qatar since 2010. Human Rights Organisations estimate it could hit 4,000 by 2022. Absolutely disgusting. FIFA need to strip them of the World Cup.

Nah it's OK, they're far away so it's easy to ignore borderline slavery, and I suggest you do so. The only thing that concerns us is a switch from summer to winter, keep focused on that and don't let any negative press ruin what is sure to be a great WC.

• Like 2

I agree that compared to Qatar Russia wasn't too bad a choice but it was still by far the worst choice of all the prospective 2018 hosts. England, Spain/Portugal and Belgium/Netherlands all would've been far better hosts.

why? these countries have all hosted tournaments recently and Russia being the biggest country in world and with decent football pedigree should have been given a chance.

was probably due a shot especially before Brazil who are just unorganised mess and was always going to happen

why? these countries have all hosted tournaments recently and Russia being the biggest country in world and with decent football pedigree should have been given a chance.

was probably due a shot especially before Brazil who are just unorganised mess and was always going to happen

For me the most important criteria should be a country's ability to host the tournament efficiently and effectively. FIFA themselves even ranked Russia as medium risk. It shouldn't be about "being given a chance".

Edited by Mantis

well then in that case so far they have done a decent enough job in running the Olympics

The Winter Olympics and the World Cup are two completely different things.

Whilst true Russia have clearly demonstrated they are capable. For all their faults, of which there are so so many, they are an organised bunch. And very, very rich. I'm surprised they were given a "medium risk" rating by FIFA and I'd be interested to know what this was based upon.

my only problem with russia is that FIFA again arent thinking of the fans

good luck to anyone thinking of going to kaliningrad and then travelling in to mainland russia for group games, id have to remortgage my house for that

i dont think they've disclosed the group structures yet, but the amount of miles covered could be crazy

• Like 1

my only problem with russia is that FIFA again arent thinking of the fans

good luck to anyone thinking of going to kaliningrad and then travelling in to mainland russia for group games, id have to remortgage my house for that

i dont think they've disclosed the group structures yet, but the amount of miles covered could be crazy

nearly all stadiums are in european zone so probably be same as travel in Brazil

Whilst true Russia have clearly demonstrated they are capable. For all their faults, of which there are so so many, they are an organised bunch. And very, very rich. I'm surprised they were given a "medium risk" rating by FIFA and I'd be interested to know what this was based upon.

Probably based on the risk of terrorist attacks from rebels in smaller russian provinces like chechyna. They could suicide bomb world cup games.

I imagine the reputation some areas has for racism is also factored into the risk element. Russia is improving, but it's still a deeply racist country in some parts, and those parts will be hosting games.