The Quiz Thread

mjmooney

On Pointless this evening, topic: "70s solo acts who had UK number one singles". 

One guy's team was in a strong position, so he went for a banker that he knew was right - Alice Cooper (for "School's Out"). 

Wrong! Disallowed on the basis that "Alice Cooper" was the name of the band. 100 points and out. 

Technically correct, but I bet that guy is well pissed off. 

• Like 1

Still on Pointless... tonight's topic the battle of Waterloo. One team's answers included:

Modern-day country in which it took place? ENGLAND.

Year in which it took place? 1500.

I despair.

...and they're at it again.

Question: artist with a DOUBLE VOWEL (e.g. aa, ee, ii, oo) in their name, who had a hit with 'Nine to Five'.

Contestant (very confident): 'Dolly Parton'.

Question: artist with a DOUBLE VOWEL (e.g. aa, ee, ii, oo) in their name, who had a hit with 'Nine to Five'.

Ha, idiots!

We all know the real answer is Doolly Paartoon.

• Like 2

Is that one of those questions where the brain sorta runs away with you , you know DP had a hit with that song and it never occurs to you that Sheena E could have had the same record title and that DP could be wrong

I'm guilty of it sometimes on quiz machines, I always read the answers first and then the question , it usually results in me answering questions before anyone else has even finished reading it , I doubt I ever read the question in full , but , it also results in the occasional stupid wrong answer where I haven't considered the rest of the question is a trap

Well, yes. But both Armstrong and Osman had emphasised the double vowel thing, several times, with examples. And this guy wasn't first up, others had already answered with things like the Bee Gees and the Foo Fighters.

Could be American, as Sheena Easton's track was retitled in the US as "Morning Train"; EMI released it in the US months after the UK, at about the same time as the Dolly Parton track.

Edited by leviramsey

Last quiz team I was in I persuaded them through sheer force of personality and threat of violence to cross out York and put Swindon as the answer for National Rail Museum.

We lost by a point.

Haven't heard much from them since.

• Like 2

Last quiz team I was in I persuaded them through sheer force of personality and threat of violence to cross out York and put Swindon as the answer for National Rail Museum.

We lost by a point.

Haven't heard much from them since.

:crylaugh::lol:

• 3 months later...

Questions from tonight's quiz at the local (apologies if I haven't written down the questions verbatim - I have missed out one which, for the life of me, I can't remember - and, also, if they may have made any errors):

1. What crop does the Colorado beetle attack?
2. Lorenzo Ghiberti's Gates of Paradise were part of a baptistry in which city? (The original question was not precisely thus)
3. In Rastafarian vocabulary, to what does 'I and I' refer?
4. In Euro 2004, who missed the penalties for England in the penalty shootout against Portugal?
5. Which prisoner wrote, in his first letter home, "My spirit and morale, they are high due to the greatness of god?
6. Which playing card is the Devil's four poster bed?
7. Which company brought tea bags to the UK in 1952?
8. Which two major airlines are named after US states?
9. Who won the Eurovision song contest in bare feet?
10. What was the former name for the republic of South Yemen (pre 1967)?
11. What is the largest landlocked country in the world?
12. Who is referred to as the father of modern medicine?
13. Navarin is a stew of what meat?
14. What is the main grain used in the production of Bourbon Whiskey?
15. Worcester Beacon (Malvern Hills) is how high: 425 metres; 535 metres; 465 metres?
16. Alabama rot is a terminal disease affecting which breed of dog?
17. In 'Angels on horseback', the bacon is wrapped around what?
18. What animal has the latin name Ersus arctos horribilis?
19. Millenium Star, Red Cross, Centenary and The Incomparable are all what?
20. Where would you find the islets of Langerhans?
21. Which planet has moons named after Shakesperean characters?
22. Belgrano II, Aboa, McMurdo, Orcadas, Palmer and Halley are all what?
23. Where in the body would you find the Lunula?
24. From which language has English borrowed the words cummerbund, typhoon and bungalow?
26. What was the name given to the group of women campaigning for female voting rights in the early 20th C.?
27. Sharks and stingrays both have the anatomical feature known as 'a clasper'. For what purpose is this used?
28. In what film did the happy chimney sweep sing 'Chim chim cheree'?
29. In the Harry Potter books, what subject does Professor Sprout teach?
30. From which country does the beer Red Stripe come?

Edited by snowychap

Â