The Quiz Thread

mjmooney

Thought I'd at least do the country one as its my chosen subject :)

Landlocked countries

11 Which landlocked South American country lost its coastline to Chile?

12 Name the only TWO 'doubly landlocked' (i.e. totally surrounded by landlocked countries) countries in the world (one in central Europe, obe in central Asia)

13 Name TWO 'enclave' countries (i.e. totally surrounded by one other country) OTHER THAN The Vatican (one in Europe, one in Africa)

14 Name the world's largest landlocked country

15 Name the two countries that lost their access to the sea as a result of post-WW1 treaties

11 - Bolivia

12- Liechtenstein and Uzbekistan

13- Lesotho and nope can't think

14- Kazakstan

15- got to be Hungary and probably by a default guess Austria as well

The other 13 begins with an L as well, capital Vaduz.

Told you that geography was the only thing I am good at ;)

I'd already used that country in 12 .. Can it be the same answer to both ?

I was going to work out one of those spoiler things and have a go at Mike's questions.

Then I read the questions and thought it better not to embarrass myself.

I'm okay on the geography ones, but 21 has me intrigued.

Stanstead opened in 69 so it blew my first guess ... Maybe one of the small regionals ?

It said "given the go-ahead", not "opened"

Answers (don't argue with me about them, I didn't write them): 

TV families

1  Name the family in 'Upstairs Downstairs' BELLAMY
2  Name the family in 'My Family' HARPER
3  Name the character played by Geoffrey Plamer in 'As Time Goes By' LIONEL HARDCASTLE
4  Name the family in 'Bread' BOSWELL 
5  Name the character played by Peter Kay in 'Phoenix Nights' BRIAN POTTER

NATO phonetic alphabet - give the code word

6  K KILO
7  L LIMA
8  M MIKE
9  Q QUEBEC
10 Z ZULU

Landlocked countries 

11 Which landlocked South American country lost its coastline to Chile? BOLIVIA
12 Name the only TWO 'doubly landlocked' (i.e. totally surrounded by landlocked countries) countries in the world (one in central Europe, obe in central Asia) LICHTENSTEIN & UZBEKISTAN 
13 Name TWO 'enclave' countries (i.e. totally surrounded by one other country) OTHER THAN The Vatican (one in Europe, one in Africa) SAN MARINO & LESOTHO
14 Name the world's largest landlocked country KAZAKHSTAN
15 Name the two countries that lost their access to the sea as a result of post-WW1 treaties AUSTRIA & HUNGARY 

History

16 Several men were executed for treason in 1536 - what was their specific crime? FORNICATION WITH ANNE BOLEYN
17 In what decade was the Crimean War? 1850S
18 In 1890, which two counties contested the first ever County Championship cricket match? YORKSHIRE & GLOUCESTERSHIRE
19 In what decade was "Hancock's Half Hour" first broadcast (on radio)?  1950S
20 In 1937 what event was covered by Britain's first ever TV outside broadcast? CORONATION OF KING GEORGE VI
21 In 1967 which airfield was given the go-ahead for development to full airport status? STANSTEAD
22 In 1969 the UK voting age was reduced to 18, from what? 21
23 In which city did Labour leader John Smith die? LONDON
24 In 1997 which two major major drinks company merged? GUINNESS & GRAND METROPOLITAN  
25 In 2001 which event was held outside England for the first time? FA CUP FINAL 

Words

26 What is the correct term for a punting pole? QUANT 
27 If something is allantoid in shape, what food item does it resemble? SAUSAGE
28 An auxanameter is used to measure the size of what? PLANTS
29 Maderosis is the loss of what? EYELASHES OR EYEBROWS
30 If a substance is saponifiable, it may be easily converted into what? SOAP 

General knowledge

31 The Suez canal was opened in what year? 1829, 1839, 1849 or 1869? 1869 
32 Rosa Dartle was a character in which Dickens novel? DAVID COPPERFIELD
33 The Red Leg gold mine is in which country? CANADA
34 How many cards are initially dealt to each player in blackjack? TWO
35 Which rank is immediately below Emperor? Grand Duke, Archduke or King? KING
36 Lake Thingvellir is in which country? ICELAND
37 Who was 'The Butcher of Bosnia', captured in 2011? RADKO MLADIC
38 In which river has Romania banned fishing for sturgeon? DANUBE
39 Who in 2011 became the youngest self-made billionaire? MARK ZUCKERBERG 
40 Campione di Italia is an ethnic conclave in which country? SWITZERLAND

This was last Monday's pub quiz, a fairly typical one. We won, with 26 out of 40. 

And another thing: It's the Red LAKE gold mine, for those who've heard of that and yet who have never ever ever ever heard of the Red LEG gold mine (both new to me although only one actually exists per se)

They must talk funny in Sheffield Mike - not like Brummies at all :)

5  Name the character played by Peter Kay in 'Phoenix Nights' BRIAN POTTER

Yeah this one was the interesting one for me because he plays three characters in Phoenix Nights but Brian Potter is definitely the lead and the character he plays most of the time.

Spock is also half-vulcan, half-human, by the way.

Hmm, i am not sure that I would be invited on to your team, unless I got the job of 'designated driver'!

TV families-2

Phonetics-5

Landlocked countries-4 (need to read the questions properly!)

History -3 (how do I do one of those embarrassed thingies on a tablet?)

Words-0 (see above)

General knowledge-4

I actually thought that one card was initially dealt in blackjack, not two. But then maybe we played different rules when I was at school.

Hmm, i am not sure that I would be invited on to your team, unless I got the job of 'designated driver'!

TV families-2

Phonetics-5

Words-0 (see above)

General knowledge-4

I actually thought that one card was initially dealt in blackjack, not two. But then maybe we played different rules when I was at school.

But that's not bad for one person. There are four of us combining knowledge (and guesswork).
  • Like 1

Just got into QuizUp. It's addictive. 

welcome to the 21st century :)

BOF went into hiding after being unable to identify the 2 closest capitals in the world as I defeated him :hooray:

Risso started badly and then changed to categories I know nothing about i.e all of them , and may have sneaked into a narrow lead on me overall  .. annoyingly a lot of the defeats are by 1 point which is just basically being 1/2 a second slower pushing the button :(

Roughly translated as I kick his arse on any given category to such an extent that he's given up challenging me.  As for Damian, I think I tanked him so severely he's had to leave the country! :)

it stands at 7 -11 to you but that's like saying Man City romped the league this season , the table is closer than the scoreline reflects :P

the problem is that after a while you get a lot of repeat questions so whereas I tend to stop at level 10 and seek new categories , some people (no names :) ) keep going to level 33 and thus it just becomes a game of memory rather than a quiz of knowledge

that and i do suck at some of the categories .. the James Bond one I just challenged you at only an utter Geek would know 3 of the questions ..that or 3 very lucky guesses    .. I await to see which one you are :)

That James Bond one was rubbish, and a lot of the categories seem to be going in the same way with ridiculous questions like:

How many of filming took place for .......

109 hours

113 hours

117 hours

125 hours

Stuff nobody would ever know or be interested in.

Just got into QuizUp. It's addictive. 

welcome to the 21st century :)

BOF went into hiding after being unable to identify the 2 closest capitals in the world as I defeated him :hooray:

Risso started badly and then changed to categories I know nothing about i.e all of them , and may have sneaked into a narrow lead on me overall  .. annoyingly a lot of the defeats are by 1 point which is just basically being 1/2 a second slower pushing the button :(

Roughly translated as I kick his arse on any given category to such an extent that he's given up challenging me.  As for Damian, I think I tanked him so severely he's had to leave the country! :)

it stands at 7 -11 to you but that's like saying Man City romped the league this season , the table is closer than the scoreline reflects :P

the problem is that after a while you get a lot of repeat questions so whereas I tend to stop at level 10 and seek new categories , some people (no names :) ) keep going to level 33 and thus it just becomes a game of memory rather than a quiz of knowledge

that and i do suck at some of the categories .. the James Bond one I just challenged you at only an utter Geek would know 3 of the questions ..that or 3 very lucky guesses    .. I await to see which one you are :)

That James Bond one was rubbish, and a lot of the categories seem to be going in the same way with ridiculous questions like:

How many of filming took place for .......

109 hours

113 hours

117 hours

125 hours

Stuff nobody would ever know or be interested in.

from that post I can take it the score is now 11 -8  :D

but yeah I agree with you on the questions

TV families-2

Phonetics-5

Words-0 (see above)

General knowledge-4

But that's not bad for one person. There are four of us combining knowledge (and guesswork).

You are most kind, sir.

You also now have me addicted to Quizup!

Â