The Quiz Thread

mjmooney

Good quiz , few I'd have to take a wild stab at and few I wouldn't have a clue at ... I would answer now but I'm on my phone and it will be fiddly

Ps ...Did anyone snigger when the answer to the planet with Shakespeare characters got read out :)

PPS ... Number 22 is McMurdo isn't it ?

Edited by tonyh29

3. In Rastafarian vocabulary, to what does 'I and I' refer?

What was the answer given to this question, out of interest? 

Well, because of the couple of posts yesterday(?) in the general chat thread, I suggested that the answer was 'you and me' (that was a guess). We did think about putting 'God and me'.

The quizmistress's answer was 'we'. Our (my) answer was marked as wrong - which made sod all difference in the end as some new team came and stole the quiz with a pretty stonking 21 out of 30!

Having had a quick look on the net, it looks as though it's a pretty complex answer about god being part of us all and all that jazz - though that may include, perhaps, 'you and me'? :)

Was 5 Saddam Hussein ? I'm sure nagging at the back of my brain I read his in an article and it went something along those lines ( but a bit more God the merciful thrown in )

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

Questions from tonight's quiz at the local (apologies if I haven't written down the questions verbatim - I have missed out one which, for the life of me, I can't remember - and, also, if they may have made any errors):

1. What crop does the Colorado beetle attack? 

2. Lorenzo Ghiberti's Gates of Paradise were part of a baptistry in which city? (The original question was not precisely thus) - VENICE? 

3. In Rastafarian vocabulary, to what does 'I and I' refer? - JAH, GOD, WHATEVER

4. In Euro 2004, who missed the penalties for England in the penalty shootout against Portugal? - SOUTHGATE

5. Which prisoner wrote, in his first letter home, "My spirit and morale, they are high due to the greatness of god? - TERRY WAITE

6. Which playing card is the Devil's four poster bed? - 4 SPADES?

7. Which company brought tea bags to the UK in 1952? - PROCTOR AND GAMBLE

8. Which two major airlines are named after US states? 

9. Who won the Eurovision song contest in bare feet? - SANDY SHAW

10. What was the former name for the republic of South Yemen (pre 1967)?

11. What is the largest landlocked country in the world? - MONGOLIA

12. Who is referred to as the father of modern medicine? - HIPPOCRATES

13. Navarin is a stew of what meat? 

14. What is the main grain used in the production of Bourbon Whiskey?

15. Worcester Beacon (Malvern Hills) is how high: 425 metres; 535 metres; 465 metres?

16. Alabama rot is a terminal disease affecting which breed of dog?

17. In 'Angels on horseback', the bacon is wrapped around what?

18. What animal has the latin name Ersus arctos horribilis? - POLAR BEAR

19. Millenium Star, Red Cross, Centenary and The Incomparable are all what?

20. Where would you find the islets of Langerhans?

21. Which planet has moons named after Shakesperean characters? - NEPTUNE

22. Belgrano II, Aboa, McMurdo, Orcadas, Palmer and Halley are all what? - COMETS

23. Where in the body would you find the Lunula? - FINGERNAIL

24. From which language has English borrowed the words cummerbund, typhoon and bungalow?

26. What was the name given to the group of women campaigning for female voting rights in the early 20th C.? - SUFFRAGETTES

27. Sharks and stingrays both have the anatomical feature known as 'a clasper'. For what purpose is this used?

28. In what film did the happy chimney sweep sing 'Chim chim cheree'?-  MARY POPPINS

29. In the Harry Potter books, what subject does Professor Sprout teach? - HERBOLOGY

30. From which country does the beer Red Stripe come? - JAMAICA

Questions from tonight's quiz at the local (apologies if I haven't written down the questions verbatim - I have missed out one which, for the life of me, I can't remember - and, also, if they may have made any errors):

7, Mr Eames.

1. What crop does the Colorado beetle attack?

2. Lorenzo Ghiberti's Gates of Paradise were part of a baptistry in which city? (The original question was not precisely thus)

3. In Rastafarian vocabulary, to what does 'I and I' refer? - god and me

4. In Euro 2004, who missed the penalties for England in the penalty shootout against Portugal? - carragher, gerrard, lampard

5. Which prisoner wrote, in his first letter home, "My spirit and morale, they are high due to the greatness of god? - mandela

6. Which playing card is the Devil's four poster bed? - 4 of spades

7. Which company brought tea bags to the UK in 1952? - tetley

8. Which two major airlines are named after US states? - (define "major") at a guess alaska and hawaii

9. Who won the Eurovision song contest in bare feet? - gina g

10. What was the former name for the republic of South Yemen (pre 1967)? yemen

11. What is the largest landlocked country in the world? kazakhstan

12. Who is referred to as the father of modern medicine?

13. Navarin is a stew of what meat?

14. What is the main grain used in the production of Bourbon Whiskey? - corn

15. Worcester Beacon (Malvern Hills) is how high: 425 metres; 535 metres; 465 metres? 425

16. Alabama rot is a terminal disease affecting which breed of dog? golden retrievers

17. In 'Angels on horseback', the bacon is wrapped around what? oysters

18. What animal has the latin name Ersus arctos horribilis?

19. Millenium Star, Red Cross, Centenary and The Incomparable are all what? war medals

20. Where would you find the islets of Langerhans?

21. Which planet has moons named after Shakesperean characters? - jupiter

22. Belgrano II, Aboa, McMurdo, Orcadas, Palmer and Halley are all what? - comets

23. Where in the body would you find the Lunula? fingernails

24. From which language has English borrowed the words cummerbund, typhoon and bungalow? arabic

26. What was the name given to the group of women campaigning for female voting rights in the early 20th C.?suffragettes 

27. Sharks and stingrays both have the anatomical feature known as 'a clasper'. For what purpose is this used? so that she aint getting away during the sex ;)

28. In what film did the happy chimney sweep sing 'Chim chim cheree'? mary poppins

29. In the Harry Potter books, what subject does Professor Sprout teach?

30. From which country does the beer Red Stripe come? jamaica

3. In Rastafarian vocabulary, to what does 'I and I' refer?

What was the answer given to this question, out of interest? 

Well, because of the couple of posts yesterday(?) in the general chat thread, I suggested that the answer was 'you and me' (that was a guess). We did think about putting 'God and me'.

The quizmistress's answer was 'we'. Our (my) answer was marked as wrong - which made sod all difference in the end as some new team came and stole the quiz with a pretty stonking 21 out of 30!

Having had a quick look on the net, it looks as though it's a pretty complex answer about god being part of us all and all that jazz - though that may include, perhaps, 'you and me'? :)

Yeah, that's why I wondered what the answer would be, as it's a pretty ambiguous question. I would have probably answered it as, "Us / God (Jah) and I", but it's open to interpretation.   

1. What crop does the Colorado beetle attack? Potato

2. Lorenzo Ghiberti's Gates of Paradise were part of a baptistry in which city? (The original question was not precisely thus) Florence  , been there seen them B)

3. In Rastafarian vocabulary, to what does 'I and I' refer? you and me

4. In Euro 2004, who missed the penalties for England in the penalty shootout against Portugal? Beckham ( was the slip one wasn't it ) and Villa's own Vassell

5. Which prisoner wrote, in his first letter home, "My spirit and morale, they are high due to the greatness of god? Saddam Hussein

6. Which playing card is the Devil's four poster bed? 4 of diamonds (guess)

7. Which company brought tea bags to the UK in 1952? tetley 

8. Which two major airlines are named after US states?  Hawaii Airlines ? (guess)  struggling for a second one though

9. Who won the Eurovision song contest in bare feet? Sandy Shaw

10. What was the former name for the republic of South Yemen (pre 1967)? it's on the gulf of Aden ( been there and flew over yemen to get to it ) so wild stab with Aden

11. What is the largest landlocked country in the world? Kazakhstan ( we had this before B) )

12. Who is referred to as the father of modern medicine? Hippocrates (guess , based on the Hippocratic oath)

13. Navarin is a stew of what meat? rabbit

14. What is the main grain used in the production of Bourbon Whiskey? rye

15. Worcester Beacon (Malvern Hills) is how high: 425 metres; 535 metres; 465 metres? 465

16. Alabama rot is a terminal disease affecting which breed of dog? pass

17. In 'Angels on horseback', the bacon is wrapped around what? that would be oysters

18. What animal has the latin name Ersus arctos horribilis? Non latina .. coyote (guess)

19. Millenium Star, Red Cross, Centenary and The Incomparable are all what? a girls best friend (thats diamonds rob , not dildos)

20. Where would you find the islets of Langerhans? pass

21. Which planet has moons named after Shakesperean characters? snigger Uranus

22. Belgrano II, Aboa, McMurdo, Orcadas, Palmer and Halley are all what? research stations

23. Where in the body would you find the Lunula? pass  feet (guess)

24. From which language has English borrowed the words cummerbund, typhoon and bungalow? I know they are Indian words but I'm guessing they want specific like Urdu or Hindi  ? so Urdu as a guess

25. Ursa Major, or The Great Bear  ( see who gets this one)

26. What was the name given to the group of women campaigning for female voting rights in the early 20th C.? Suffragettes

27. Sharks and stingrays both have the anatomical feature known as 'a clasper'. For what purpose is this used? killing TV celebs  ..   but also mating

28. In what film did the happy chimney sweep sing 'Chim chim cheree'? Mary Poppins ..worse cockney accent ever

29. In the Harry Potter books, what subject does Professor Sprout teach? herbology ( try living with kids who watch the bloody films non stop)

30. From which country does the beer Red Stripe come? Jamaica

18. What animal has the latin name Ersus arctos horribilis? Non latina .. coyote (guess)

he he  ... I now know the answer is "Grizzly Bear" as Villatalks "shopping link by skimwords " highlighted the words arctos horribilis and linked me to Amazon and a book about grizzly bears  :)

That should have been fake latin/scientific, I suppose, and it should have said Ursus but it was late and I'd been at the pub.
I think that's 18/19 there, Tony.
Would you like to join our quiz team (it's not far from Surrey, honest)? :)

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

1. What crop does the Colorado beetle attack? Potato.

2. Lorenzo Ghiberti's Gates of Paradise were part of a baptistry in which city? (The original question was not precisely thus) Florence.

3. In Rastafarian vocabulary, to what does 'I and I' refer? We.

4. In Euro 2004, who missed the penalties for England in the penalty shootout against Portugal? Beckham and Vassell.

5. Which prisoner wrote, in his first letter home, "My spirit and morale, they are high due to the greatness of god? Saddam Hussein.

6. Which playing card is the Devil's four poster bed? 4 of clubs.

7. Which company brought tea bags to the UK in 1952? Tetley.

8. Which two major airlines are named after US states? Alaskan and Hawaiian.

9. Who won the Eurovision song contest in bare feet? Sandie Shaw.

10. What was the former name for the republic of South Yemen (pre 1967)? Aden.

11. What is the largest landlocked country in the world? Kazakhstan.

12. Who is referred to as the father of modern medicine? Hippocrates.

13. Navarin is a stew of what meat? Lamb/mutton.

14. What is the main grain used in the production of Bourbon Whiskey? Corn.

15. Worcester Beacon (Malvern Hills) is how high: 425 metres; 535 metres; 465 metres? 425 metres.

16. Alabama rot is a terminal disease affecting which breed of dog? Greyhound.

17. In 'Angels on horseback', the bacon is wrapped around what? An oyster.

18. What animal has the latin name Ersus arctos horribilis? Grizzly bear/

19. Millenium Star, Red Cross, Centenary and The Incomparable are all what? Diamonds.

20. Where would you find the islets of Langerhans? Pancreas.

21. Which planet has moons named after Shakesperean characters? Uranus.

22. Belgrano II, Aboa, McMurdo, Orcadas, Palmer and Halley are all what? Antarctic research stations.

23. Where in the body would you find the Lunula? Fingernail.

24. From which language has English borrowed the words cummerbund, typhoon and bungalow? Hindi,

26. What was the name given to the group of women campaigning for female voting rights in the early 20th C.? Suffragettes.

27. Sharks and stingrays both have the anatomical feature known as 'a clasper'. For what purpose is this used? Intercourse.

28. In what film did the happy chimney sweep sing 'Chim chim cheree'? Mary Poppins.

29. In the Harry Potter books, what subject does Professor Sprout teach? Herbology.

30. From which country does the beer Red Stripe come? Jamaica.

Forgot to give the answers after a day or two - rectified above (at least those were the answers as per quizmistress on the night).

Â