Transfer Speculation (Winter 2014)

Richard

Why do people think Holt will be signed permanently? Is it purely because Holt played under Lambert under Norwich?

This is one of the big reasons ,yes. And it's also the only reason he's with us now.

That probably is a factor but let's not forget that the biggest reason why he's here is because Kozak's injured. Kozak isn't going to be injured forever.

Personally think that our dealings have been OK this window. Holt, uninspiring, not great, but understandable and seems to marshall players about well when on the pitch. Bertrand, A great signing, really helped improve our team in the last 2 games IMO, hopefully we can get him in the summer. Disappointing not to get anyone today and to not get a creative midfielder.

Comparing to other teams, I still don't think it's that bad. We've gotten in more players than 9 other clubs, and the teams who have gotten more players are either super rich (Chelsea) or seem to be panic buying a little (Palace, Fulham, West Ham, Sunderland, etc.). As it has already been said, January is a shit time to buy players, I don't think any of the teams near the bottom have gotten value for money on their signings and I can't see anyone who we could have realistically got who I'd have been happy for us to get, Ince maybe?

Not good, not bad, just OK. We won't go down, we aren't gonna push for Europe, why buy players at inflated prices?

Edited by MessiWillSignForVilla
  • Like 1

Why do people think Holt will be signed permanently? Is it purely because Holt played under Lambert under Norwich?

This is one of the big reasons ,yes. And it's also the only reason he's with us now.

That probably is a factor but let's not forget that the biggest reason why he's here is because Kozak's injured. Kozak isn't going to be injured forever.

No but Benteke is not going to be here forever either. I think Holt will be Kozaks backup next season

FFS I hate this black and white thinking that seems to be prevalent here. It seems it's impossible for some posters to believe that many of us are neither seething or happy about the window.

Absolutely this. Far too many extreme views being expressed.

We need a different mindset on these boards, and need to realise that we all want the same thing , and debate accordingly.

No but Benteke is not going to be here forever either. I think Holt will be Kozaks backup next season

I really really can't see that happening. Doesn't make sense at all.

This would be an absolute disaster, if we sold Benteke and didn't use the money, and to pry him away it would have to be a substantial amount, to buy a replacement surely there would be uproar.

This would be an absolute disaster, if we sold Benteke and didn't use the money, and to pry him away it would have to be a substantial amount, to buy a replacement surely there would be uproar.

I agree, but still think it might happen.

I have 0 faith in the people running this club.

I agree, but still think it might happen.

I have 0 faith in the people running this club.

It's just not logical. It doesn't benefit anyone for that to happen. Despite what people believe the board aren't stupid.

And yes before anyone says it I'm aware of the McLeish appointment.

Edited by Mantis

Any business would set a yearly budget, the January window should be simply for mopping up a loan signing or spending left over money from the summer.

In most cases bad planning leads to January purchases it is quite rare a club buys a player they have been tracking for ages and the chance comes to sign them.

Feel free to disagree

• Like 1

I'm beginning to feel a wee bit better about our deadline day inactivity but as long as we're free from  injuries/suspensions/drastic loss of form in key areas then we'll okay, won't we?

Edited by turnbull

I assume someone will be brought in as a replacement for Benteke. Lambert must surely realise that Kozak is only good enough to be backup, as that is why he was signed. Holt will be gone.

Any business would set a yearly budget, the January window should be simply for mopping up a loan signing or spending left over money from the summer.

In most cases bad planning leads to January purchases it is quite rare a club buys a player they have been tracking for ages and the chance comes to sign them.

Feel free to disagree

Don't disagree, the thing that's disappointed me was the fact all the talk about the AM from lambert about how he had so many targets and how he thinks they are so important, it really seemed like a foregone conclusion, at least at the start, that one would be incoming.

I assume someone will be brought in as a replacement for Benteke. Lambert must surely realise that Kozak is only good enough to be backup, as that is why he was signed. Holt will be gone.

We spent a lot of money on Kozak for him to be just backup. Considering how tight finances are, I would be surprised if Kozak isn't seen as a starter, especially once Benteke leaves, whenever that may be.

We spent a lot of money on Kozak for him to be just backup. Considering how tight finances are, I would be surprised if Kozak isn't seen as a starter, especially once Benteke leaves, whenever that may be.

We didn't spend that much. I haven't seen anything to suggest that Kozak is seen as Benteke's long-term replacement.

• Like 1

A backup for Benteke would have to be decent, as it is such an important position considering the way we play. In an ideal world, all our backup players should be decent quality, better than what we have been bringing in.

I think Holt is to Lambert what Heskey was to MON.

He's someone he knows, likes, have worked with before and knows what to expect from. He won't be pulling up threes,  but he'll do his best.

If there is a chance to sign him on the cheap in the summer i think Lambert might.

Hopefully by then something will have changed at the club so this won't be an issue, but if not i fear it might happen. 

• Like 2

Rabble rabble rabble, there is no team worse than us above us and at least one better than us below us, we are all happy with mid-table when we give our pre-season predictions and now that it's coming true its a **** disgrace. After years of moaning that we are spunking money on useless over-paid wasters we are kicking off like toddlers that we aren't repeating those mistakes. Also we are the best fans in the world...

1168.gif

Edited by flamingsombrero
  • Like 4

I think Holt is to Lambert what Heskey was to MON.

He's someone he knows, likes, have worked with before and knows what to expect from. He won't be pulling up threes,  but he'll do his best.

If there is a chance to sign him on the cheap in the summer i think Lambert might.

Hopefully by then something will have changed at the club so this won't be an issue, but if not i fear it might happen. 

What, because Lambert loaned him in when our main backup striker got injured? If Lambert loves Holt so much why didn't he get him earlier and on a permanent basis?

Â