Transfer Speculation (Winter 2014)

Richard

The guy is 32 and playing for Wigan in the Championship. Common sense: He isn't on big money.

So you honestly believe he took a pay cut to go and play in the championship?

Yeah that's what all 32 year olds who have just signed a new improved contract do.

You only have to look at our situation to see how stupid that view is.

It's more about length of contract than amount when you're at that sort of age. 

4 year contract on £10,000 per week is better than a 1 year deal on £35,000. Also 3 more years to rack up the bonuses (plus a probable promotion bonus).. so makes much more sense to take the longer contract, rather than have to find yourself a new deal in 12 months time, in which time you could be injured and career over, or could find yourself not playing at all and no-one wants you any more. 

I would guess (and it is pure guess) that he had 2 years left at Norwich on £25k, and Wigan offered him a 3 year deal at 17-18k. Worth an extra 52-104k over the course of the 3 years, not taking bonuses into account. A wage drop doesn't necessarily mean less money.

So what was the 'weird' business about an extra seat being needed?

It was an 'ITK' on Twitter, retweeting something from last year about the extra seat being needed (for the very forgettable Spurs loan). Apparently it was an in-joke; a reply to another Twitterer (I believe that is their collective name), which fans have over-analysed into meaning we can expect it again this year. When we can't. Lights may well still be on there, but I'm pretty sure it's just for the cleaners.

Edited by Qwpzxjor1
  • Like 1

So what was the 'weird' business about an extra seat being needed?

It was an 'ITK' on Twitter, retweeting something from last year about the extra seat being needed (for the very forgettable Spurs loan). Apparently it was an in-joke; a reply to another Twitterer (I believe that is their collective name), which fans have over-analysed into meaning we can expect it again this year. When we can't. Lights may well still be on there, but I'm pretty sure it's just for the cleaners.

That's really annoying.

To be honest, I really thought Holt was just talk with no substance until I saw it on the villa official site.  I understand it.  from a business standpoint, there appears to be a good cost / benefit analysis. 

For whatever reason, Lambert and the coaches seem to be having a hard time getting this batch of youngsters to really understand what's needed from them.  The instructions can't be "take high risk, and rushed passes in order to lose possession often" but they still keep doing it.  Partly confidence, but somehow more than that.  Holt (and perhaps Houlihan) may be able to help in the locker room.  He knows what Lambert wants and can help teach the others.  He won't be first choice and I'm sure he knows that, but he can still batter a few center halves in the process.

EDIT: meant to add... just because he's first in, doesn't mean he's a main target, and certainly not the last. in.... it means the deal was pretty easy to pull off with the agents and Wigan.

Edited by srsmithusa
  • Like 1

Is Gentleman still boring everyone on here? This pm stuff is surely starting to get abit boring? surely?

No ones even mentioned it on this page of the thread so it's you bringing it up again!

• Like 1

The guy is 32 and playing for Wigan in the Championship. Common sense: He isn't on big money.

So you honestly believe he took a pay cut to go and play in the championship?

Yeah that's what all 32 year olds who have just signed a new improved contract do.

You only have to look at our situation to see how stupid that view is.

It's more about length of contract than amount when you're at that sort of age. 

4 year contract on £10,000 per week is better than a 1 year deal on £35,000. Also 3 more years to rack up the bonuses (plus a probable promotion bonus).. so makes much more sense to take the longer contract, rather than have to find yourself a new deal in 12 months time, in which time you could be injured and career over, or could find yourself not playing at all and no-one wants you any more. 

I would guess (and it is pure guess) that he had 2 years left at Norwich on £25k, and Wigan offered him a 3 year deal at 17-18k. Worth an extra 52-104k over the course of the 3 years, not taking bonuses into account. A wage drop doesn't necessarily mean less money.

Or maybe he wanted to play in the Europa League as he's not going to get another chance to do so. Personally think he's probably on the same money at Wigan.

Â