Transfer Speculation (Winter 2014)

Richard

I think we've certainly got enough about us to stay up; the performances may have been poor but we're still 11th and whilst the next 2 games are really tough, the rest of the fixture list doesn't look too bad (except for Man City then Chelsea in March). A couple of decent players would definitely help and by all accounts I think that we'll sign some people to see us through but I'm not expecting anything massive.

Next summer will be the big one for us - seeing us spend a similar figure (20mil) on 2 or 3 players instead of having to buy 6 to make up the numbers should work out well for us, we'll just have to grin and bear it up until that point. 

• Like 3

I know where you are coming from Sean. I do think Lambert is doing his best given the circumstances, and the team can play a lot better than they have been recently.

Lambert's best at the moment is a few levels short of being good enough.

If Lerner does actually want out but is trying to bleed the club dry first he's a greedy buggar. Just sold the Browns for £1b. How much more does he want. That should be enough to see him through till he's in a coffin, Jeeeesh

But it is annoying how he doesn't come out with any sort of plan of intent. We just sit back now and watch all the clubs below us significantly stregthen their squads while we just stand still and look for lower league sub-standard players who will accept tiny wages to play for a big club.

If these next set of fixtures go the way we fear they will then we're gonna have to scrape relegation with this current squad we have now, the most injury/suspension prone squad around. We need players, be horriffic if we dont get what we NEED this month

If Lerner does actually want out but is trying to bleed the club dry first he's a greedy buggar. Just sold the Browns for £1b. How much more does he want. That should be enough to see him through till he's in a coffin, Jeeeesh

But it is annoying how he doesn't come out with any sort of plan of intent. We just sit back now and watch all the clubs below us significantly stregthen their squads while we just stand still and look for lower league sub-standard players who will accept tiny wages to play for a big club.

If these next set of fixtures go the way we fear they will then we're gonna have to scrape relegation with this current squad we have now, the most injury/suspension prone squad around. We need players, be horriffic if we dont get what we NEED this month

3 paragraphs here, all built on assumptions and very little fact.

- Making guesses about what Lerner is like and what he plans to do.

- Wanting the club to tell all and sundry about how we plan to achieve and setting goals that may not be met, to major discontent by the whiny fanbase.

- Making guesses about who we're targeting and what we'll pay them.

- Hypothesising about games we haven't played and turning this into a scraping relegation scenario.

Seriously, just take a step back and look at this. 

If it's a repetition of last January then it would be tantamount to negligence. At the moment we haven't got a striker at the club who will score goals on a regular basis to get us out of trouble. Take that away from last season and where would we have finished?

If it's a repetition of last January then it would be tantamount to negligence. At the moment we haven't got a striker at the club who will score goals on a regular basis to get us out of trouble. Take that away from last season and where would we have finished?

You could also look at it like this-

Last year we desperately needed Benteke's goals

This year we are eleventh without them,

It's going to be great when he starts scoring again ( it will happen)

I agree, we also don't have any sort of player who is going to make chances for the strikers we do have, or at least we aren't playing anybody in a position to do so.

I'm starting to wonder why we aren't trying players like Bacuna, Helenius or Delph 'in the hole' or at least trying to use some good old fashioned wing play to make chances.

It seems the players are incapable of doing this, or Lambert seems to think so at least, so if we don't bring anybody in I'll be quite worried. Even then, if we only bring one player in we'll be relying solely on them and hoping they don't get injured, something we did with Benteke who now can't hit a barn door.

What happens if we buy Hoolahan and he gets a knock or simply doesn't perform? To be relying on one player is ridiculous and dangerous, we need the entire team to start playing, I simply can't fathom that not a single player we have can't be positioned in a way where they can make chances for the strikers.

Edited by samjp26
  • Like 1

all built on assumptions and very little fact.

A bit like

I think we've certainly got enough about us to stay up; the performances may have been poor but we're still 11th and whilst the next 2 games are really tough, the rest of the fixture list doesn't look too bad (except for Man City then Chelsea in March). A couple of decent players would definitely help and by all accounts I think that we'll sign some people to see us through but I'm not expecting anything massive.

Next summer will be the big one for us - seeing us spend a similar figure (20mil) on 2 or 3 players instead of having to buy 6 to make up the numbers should work out well for us, we'll just have to grin and bear it up until that point.

I think we've certainly got enough about us to stay up; the performances may have been poor but we're still 11th and whilst the next 2 games are really tough, the rest of the fixture list doesn't look too bad (except for Man City then Chelsea in March).

What does this actually mean? Are you suggesting the old 'easier games' chestnut ?

The same as the 'easy run' of fixtures we had from November to the New Year.

We will be in a dogfight with all of those teams scrabbling about down there for points.

We will be one of those teams that everyone else looks on as 'easier'.

We are in for one hell of of a battle of the coming months and we should be awake to it.

3 paragraphs here, all built on assumptions and very little fact.

- Making guesses about what Lerner is like and what he plans to do.

- Wanting the club to tell all and sundry about how we plan to achieve and setting goals that may not be met, to major discontent by the whiny fanbase.

- Making guesses about who we're targeting and what we'll pay them.

- Hypothesising about games we haven't played and turning this into a scraping relegation scenario.

Seriously, just take a step back and look at this.

Sorry are you ITK? Awfully positive for a Villa fan.

I think what i said sits right, who knows maybe we will have a nice surprise this window, but from what the manager has said, it sounds like he's not being backed again when its clear we need a couple of decent signings. I think we will be scrapping again and the sides around us will have extra impetus from new signings to do something about they're respective situations. I guess we'll see in a few months time

All good points DL.

Yes so far we haven't been as reliant on Benteke as last season but I think the worry is that we are still struggling to break teams down when they sit back not allowing us to counter attack especially at home. We have also a tough run of fixtures coming up which could see us drop into the bottom six after not picking up enough points through our easier run of fixtures.

That being said, due to the unpredictability of our team performances we could pick up more points than expected through these difficult fixtures just like at the start of the season but I'm not hopeful that's going to happen?

It really is depressing. I used to look forward to the weekends to see my lovely Villa win the easy matches and challenge the bigger teams by actually playing some decent football instead of counter attack every match and have no plan B. we are so prefictable and the fact that we managed to get away with som points this season is simply a miracle. I don't know Mr. Lerner and I respect him for staying with the club but it's useless while the team suffers and he only wants money :/ I don't want a big fat oil rich owner who makes us the new PSG or Man City. I want a owner who loves the sport and the club. Villa lack passion ..

All good points DL.

Yes so far we haven't been as reliant on Benteke as last season but I think the worry is that we are still struggling to break teams down when they sit back not allowing us to counter attack especially at home. We have also a tough run of fixtures coming up which could see us drop into the bottom six after not picking up enough points through our easier run of fixtures.

That being said, due to the unpredictability of our team performances we could pick up more points than expected through these difficult fixtures just like at the start of the season but I'm not hopeful that's going to happen?

While I think we are in the mix to get relegated, there are definitely three worse teams than us.

As for the attacking , well I think PL and his staff have tried to get more clean sheets than score goals. The victory at Arsenal found them a way to win matches and he has stuck with it.

He is desperately trying to stay away from more 0-8, 0-4 defeats and constantly picks three def mids. el Ahmadi is a prime example of a player who never gives up. ( he is not good enough though)

I would also love us to get a bums of seats player but if I was the manager I would keep to the plan and find a better left back for starters.

There is a long way to go before we can total football our way to three points.

Benteke can score the goals. He's just out of form at the moment, as all strikers are sometimes.

Again fair enough points but there will come a stage where we can no longer rely on other teams in the Premiership being worse than ourselves especially when those teams you are referring to are showing signs of improvement and may well have more spending power than us in this window.

Yes I agree again that the onus has been to shore up our defence this season and losing two of our first choice CBs hasn't helped that policy. However in my opinion what has become more damaging is that we have become too one dimensional in our play and therefore just too easy to work out, teams sitting back on us nullifying our counter attacking tactic and then we struggle to score goals.

We're also much too static with little or no creativity to have a plan B and that must come down to the manager.

all built on assumptions and very little fact.

A bit like

No. This is just my opinion and I'm not making any assumptions. 

Â