Transfer Speculation (Winter 2014)

Richard

And all signed after MON when supposedly we'd learnt from our mistakes.

Can you please point me to where anybody has claimed that we properly learned from our mistakes when O'Neill left?

N'Zogbia is reportedly on 65k weekly wages. I want him to be given a chance this season but those wages are stupidly high. He is probably the highest paid player at the club right now.

What I find most ridiculous is that Given is probably in the top 4/5. Is he the world's most expensive (in terms of wages) back-up keeper?

I can't imagine there being a number 3 keeper anywhere in the world that earns more.

Try QPR, fair play to Harry!

Bent is understandable given the situation we were in. Hutton isn't too bad (although still bad), N'Zogbia is poor but Given is by far the worst. Putting a 35 year old on a 5 year 55k a week contract is absolute madness.

OK ok we get it. You hate Given. Every single time.

Bent is understandable given the situation we were in. Hutton isn't too bad (although still bad), N'Zogbia is poor but Given is by far the worst. Putting a 35 year old on a 5 year 55k a week contract is absolute madness.

What? No, I don't. It's got **** all to do with "hating Given". I don't blame Given for the contract he's on - I blame Lerner, Faulker and McLeish for letting it happen.

The contract truly is shocking though, I have no clue how anyone could ever think that that's a good idea.

The contract truly is shocking though, I have no clue how anyone could ever think that that's a good idea.

I always assumed it was the only way we could get him at the time. That or a higher wage over a shorter term. Gamble that didn't pay off

• Like 1

I always assumed it was the only way we could get him at the time. That or a higher wage over a shorter term. Gamble that didn't pay off

Ridiculous wages. McLeish really was a Day Tripper.

Yup silly wages but I'm sure there was sufficient maths done to figure out whether it was worth the risk. Sadly someone's calculator was broken because 3m plus 15m in wages does not compute. Even if they figured they'd sell him for 2m after 3 years it's a cost of 10m to the club. One can only summer they thought he'd be first choice for the duration and it'd be worth 18m all in

We had just let a 40yo very reliable keeper leave the club and turned around and signed a 35yo keeper on a 5 year deal.

Perhaps the club thought they had signed a replacement to Fredal and the keeper position would be sorted for the next half a decade.

^^This

He was probably our best player in his first season, and it would have been reasonable to expect he might have been a first team regular for at least three seasons.

Had that been the case, you'd have still been talking about a settlement, but a far smaller one.  For someone who looks after himself and who had always been a model pro, carrying on until he is close to 40 in the topflight didn't seem that ludicrous.

Ideally, we'd have probably preferred to offer a two to three year deal. But the shortfall in wages on leaving Man Citeh (where he was on £90k per week if reports are to be believed) had to be made up somehow.

I actually think he was unlucky to get dropped early last season. True, he did have a bit of a 'mare in the Everton match. But previous form should count for summat, and for 12 months previously, he'd been outstanding. That said, Guzan's form when he came into the team from the Newcastle game onwards made him undroppable.

Would be nice if we'd had that level of competition in other positions too.

It's unfair to bash Given, but as a few have said, why a 5 year contract for a 35 year old? Players often just drop suddenly in their performance levels as they age. If only to bring him in, surely a 3 year deal would have done, with perhaps an option for another 2 year. As has been said - committing to £18m was just bonkers.

It's unfair to bash Given, but as a few have said, why a 5 year contract for a 35 year old? Players often just drop suddenly in their performance levels as they age. If only to bring him in, surely a 3 year deal would have done, with perhaps an option for another 2 year. As has been said - committing to £18m was just bonkers.

Because if we had only offered three years he wouldn't have come?

Which with the benefit of hindsight we can all say now 'OK then, see ya.'

But at the time we had a Friedel-sized hole in the GK department and we signed a player who many rated as better than Friedel.   He'd just moved to Man Citeh for something ridiculous like £9 million little over 18 months previous.

Ridiculous wages. McLeish really was a Day Tripper.

I'd rather have Given inbetween the sticks than Steer tbh. Offering him a five year deal at around 50k a week was madness, but he would still offer more than Steer currently does.

Onto the remaining members of the 'bomb squad', Bent is on 75k with Fulham paying 80%, Given is on 50k with Boro covering 50% and Hutton (40k) and N'Zogbia (55k) are still at the club in some capacity. 

Edited by Avflife

Â