Transfer Speculation (Winter 2014)

Richard

Abdulaziz1 worth noting Benteke still isn't anywhere near 60k with his improved deal. The highest earner in Nzogbia. Worth noting Delph will be on more money than Benteke who IS the highest earner out of all Lambert's signings. Even with improved deals they earn much less than the players who were signed by previous managers and that is a fact. Given will also earn more than Benteke.

A handful of the newer signings will actually earn less than 10k which is really low in this league.

I know where you are coming from with the Benteke being a better deal than Lukaku but the bottom line is WBA were able to pay that level of wage and we can't as things stand. I think that is what Lambert is saying - smaller clubs are in a position to sign players ahead of him because they have more money to offer them than Villa currently do if that makes sense.

'Tis a funny old game!

Abdulaziz1 worth noting Benteke still isn't anywhere near 60k with his improved deal. The highest earner in Nzogbia. Worth noting Delph will be on more money than Benteke who IS the highest earner out of all Lambert's signings. Even with improved deals they earn much less than the players who were signed by previous managers and that is a fact. Given will also earn more than Benteke.

A handful of the newer signings will actually earn less than 10k which is really low in this league.

If the above is true I'm shocked. Benteke could be earning £100k a week if he'd played up to go somewhere else.

I hope now people with HH's revelation on wages will understand how Lerner is running our club at the moment and why it has been suggested that we are quietly being prepared for a sale.

Edit. I dare say a certain poster is going to have a field day with this and not necessarily in this thread.

Edited by Morpheus
  • Like 1

I know where you are coming from with the Benteke being a better deal than Lukaku but the bottom line is WBA were able to pay that level of wage and we can't as things stand. I think that is what Lambert is saying - smaller clubs are in a position to sign players ahead of him because they have more money to offer them than Villa currently do if that makes sense.

Well I was only talking about what we're reading .. I'm not even sure about Given and the others .. Villa are usually quiet .. But if you said that , then that's it ..

Anyway my whole point wasn't exactly in the 60k .. It's just that we paid more for him than what West Brom paid .. And considering they've had their top signing this year with 6m .. (Which could be less in reality) .. Benteke was reported 7m and Lambert said it's 5m ..

My point is we still matched them .. While we got more players .. with more fees .. 

It's not that we can't in my opinion .. It's more of we don't prefer ..

You're saying N'Zogbia is the most paid .. Given almost second .. Delph and Gabby more than Benteke ..

All these contracts are after MON era .. infact two of them was signings of Mcleash .. And the other two had improved contracts with Houllier in charge ..

We kept paying big wages even when we were fighting for relegation .. But I think it's more that we were going to struggle with or without big wages .. So It's better to progress with less payment .. And have a financial balance ..

• Like 1

I hope now people with HH's revelation on wages will understand how Lerner is running our club at the moment and why it has been suggested that we are quietly being prepared for a sale.

Edit. I dare say a certain poster is going to have a field day with this and not necessarily in this thread.

Whether Lerner wants to sell or not, we had to get to a stage where we weren't losing money. And unless he sells to a saudi prince or an oil magnet, the strategy will remain very similar. We have to spend only what we can afford. When we are getting next to nothing from selling players, then we won't have much to spend.

It might sound dull but without an über-billionaire backing us slow sustainable progress is the only way to do it.

• Like 1

I think we would all be amazed how many of the premier league teams are 'up for sale' at the moment. in most cases, this simply means subtle feelers being put out saying that the club is on the market at a good price, as opposed to being in any great urgency to sell. sort of like testing the water with your house onthe market to see how much its worth...

What has happened is that very few of those who have made vanity purchases of premier league clubs in the last 10 years, still have the stomach for the relentless outlay that is required, bearing in mind taking a club into the top six on a sustained basis requires a commitment of hundreds, not tens of millions....

as well as many clubs looking for buyers, the pool of potential buyers seems to be rapidly diminishing... where is the next pool of money coming from? its been done in russia, the middle east, parts of asia... is the Premier League attractive from an ownership perspective? interesting to see indonesian money buying into inter milan...

as far as villa, whether or not randy is a seller, i take a degree of comfort that he and his team have worked so hard to get the financials back onto level footing over the last few years. i am prepared to call the MON era of spending naivety, but at least the powers that be realise that the only thing sustained spending of that nature relative to our income would guarantee would be financial ruin once the backing ceased....

Unfortunately, we are all still paying for those three years finishing sixth, but at least the club seems to be developing on a basis that will allow my grandkids to cheer for villa in the premier league...

You make a good point LockStockVilla. Who is to say this will be the case in a years time when all of the big-earners are away (Nzogbia is currently the highest now) But bottom line is they could go out and sign a player that Lambert couldn't. And right now Steve Clarke probably has more to work with than Lambert. In fact, he will have - no question. I mentioned on here months ago maybe even last season that he'd tried to get Lukaku and couldn't match what West Brom were offering.

Yeah I definitely agree that in this moment in time, Clarke probably has a bit more at his disposal, but in the grand scheme of things, I wouldn't say Baggies are any much stronger financially than Villa.

That aside though, as long as Lambert is kept happy enough to stick around and see the point where the full squad is made up of his players/the few players from before who are useful, then we will be in a good position. And hopefully at that point the board will reward him for the tough job that he has been doing over the past two seasons with a bit more financial backing. 

Edited by LockStockVilla

Don't be so dramatic. We are not Wigan.

We budget and spend like Wigan. Are you going to suggest the article is also dramatic saying we can't compete financially with West Brom?

Edited by dodgyknees
  • Like 1

I'd rather we balance the books and get back into profit than spiral into financial melt down.

We've seen it happen to many clubs over the years and for me the long term future of the club is a lot more important than our present league position.

I'd rather we balance the books and get back into profit than spiral into financial melt down.

We've seen it happen to many clubs over the years and for me the long term future of the club is a lot more important than our present league position.

The problem is we are relying on Lerner telling the truth and also relying on him giving a large chunk of sales to improve the team. I don't think he will. I honestly believe we are to be a 'feeder' club and will buy cheap to sell on, which makes it a hard long term project when I think we will be seeing a budget of 10-15m per season (no matter the sales) whilst Lerner is here.

Having read the last few posts with interest i see some are still not excepting at least the possibility that the club is being prepared for a sale due to a lack of evidence.

Thats fine and each to our own concerning having an opinion but conversely many have excepted that the board have had to enforce major cutbacks to our spending due to the long term stabilisation of our club.

On the face of it it certainly looks that way but the question has to be asked giving Lambert more of a transfer budget say in the region of 20m plus wages to back him in all of his targets when several of the 'Bomb Squad' have already gone, would that have seriously damaged the long term stability of the club considering the increase in TV revenue and better placement in the Premiership due to having more quality at the club?

There are very few teams in the Premiership running at a profit and are indeed running at an acceptable loss to try and improve their standing in the Premiership. So are we going to be unique in achieving self sustainability while gaining success by paying many of our players Championship wages?

That is the question those should consider who don't feel the club is being prepared for a sale. 

Edited by Morpheus

I don't know about you but I didn't fall in love with football because teams tried to make a profit.

I don't know about you but I didn't fall in love with football because teams tried to make a profit.

Me neither but as things stand, whether Lerner wants to sell or not, I'd rather we sort our finances out because I wouldn't want the club I fell in love with to be ruined like many others have.

The problem is we are relying on Lerner telling the truth and also relying on him giving a large chunk of sales to improve the team. I don't think he will. I honestly believe we are to be a 'feeder' club and will buy cheap to sell on, which makes it a hard long term project when I think we will be seeing a budget of 10-15m per season (no matter the sales) whilst Lerner is here.

I can't remember Lerner ever not telling the truth, and the way the club has done business is often praised. I should think Lambert is fully aware of the situation and Lerner would not piss him about. Lambert is doing the job he signed up for. There is also little evidence that he wouldn't be given any funds from sales as we have always reinvested transfer money. If we are a feeder team then so be it, plenty of clubs around Europe have done very well out of it, it requires skill and Lambert has it IMO.

We budget and spend like Wigan. Are you going to suggest the article is also dramatic saying we can't compete financially with West Brom?

Lots of clubs are on a tight budget. What people seem to be forgetting is that we had a few years of lots of spending (recklessly) and that's at least partially the reason for the cutbacks now. I think the way some go on about this Wigan comparison is actually a bit disrespectful to the club and also a bit shallow.

As has already been explained I think the article is a bit misleading.

Lots of clubs are on a tight budget. What people seem to be forgetting is that we had a few years of lots of spending (recklessly) and that's at least partially the reason for the cutbacks now. I think the way some go on about this Wigan comparison is actually a bit disrespectful to the club and also a bit shallow.

As has already been explained I think the article is a bit misleading.

Disrespectful to the club? Grow a pair mate.

Â