Randy's 12 Month No Show ?

smetrov

Levy is not the owner of Spurs, he is employed as a Chairman. Joseph Lewis owns Spurs and ironically he doesn't appear at games either. On Randy being at games, does it really matter if he is or he isn't. In MON's reign he never had a CEO, so had a more hands on approach, but now he has employed a CEO in Faulkner who is at every game. What makes me laugh is the accusations that he doesn't care, so explain this to me what about the fans that don't turn up to our games? Do they not care?

Well yes Lerner has wasted millions on Villa by letting O'Neill buy shit, but that doesnt make him a great owner. It was his responsibility to create a structure at the  club with a world class scouting and recruitment system, and not letting a shouty northern irishman spend all of his dads money. I dont think Levy has given spurs lots of his own personal money, but he has been successful because he is a good businessman, and not a nice but bored philanthropist.

Don't disagree with your central point about Lerner's failure to deliver what a well-run club needs from an owner but there is a lot of detail in that post that is arguable. In particular, Levy's regime at Spurs has looked chaotic at times (thinking of the debacle around Jol's short spell as coach and the time when they sold off Jermain Defoe then bought him back the next season for double the fee). Also some of their investment is questionable - not sure Lamele has lived up to his £25m tag yet. I'm not convinced we should hold him up as the model to follow.

that was Ramos and Comolli who got rid of Defoe and Keane

as for Lamela. Really? he has had 4 sub appearances and expect him to live up to his price tag :D

that was Ramos and Comolli who got rid of Defoe and Keane

Whether that's true or not, it would just support the point I am making. Levy sacked Jol and brought in Ramos, then sacked him and Comolli in favour of Harry Redknapp. So I suppose he could be held to have some responsibility for what went on at the club during that period and it looked pretty chaotic, with spells of disastrous form and a transfer policy that looked random at times. I'm just saying it's not necessarily a model we want to follow.

Edited by briny_ear

oh yeah i agree with you about Levy, he is one of most overrated people in football. good at his job but when he started he was not better than Faulkner is now who is improving

Yeah he has done such a bad job in letting bale go for only 80 millon quid...... He took decisive action in getting rid of a popular but old school manager in Redknapp, whereas Lerner waited for MON to quit and got in Houllier.  Of course Levy has had made mistakes, but on Sunday's action the gap between us and spurs is a chasm from 6-7 years ago. As for Villa under Lerner, it has hardly been a smooth course of action has it? Turning on the taps in the hope we could nick a top four, racking up a huge wage bill, and had 3 managers in 3 years all with different styles to reduce the playing buget. I think I would call that 'chaotic'.

Edited by The Fun Factory

yeah Levy is at Spurs since 2001 I think so its took a good bit of time to get Spurs this way. and nobody has said he was rubbish at his job but he has made mistakes too, Ramos, Santini, Comolli

Comolli did sign Bale, so he wasn't too much of a mistake.

Then again he also signed Hutton and Bentley...

If you don't want us to be compared to Spurs thats fine. Look at Everton. I bet their average postion in the league since 2006-07 has been higher than us. And they are the 4th biggest club in the north west, do not have a sugar daddy and have a stadium that probably should be condemed. I am not saying Lerner has been a terrible owner, he has been decent, but he has not so far fufilled the expectations when he took over.

well Spurs had a 6 or 7 year headstart and also had setbacks and a couple of poor seasons along the way plus a large influx of average players in that time

The difference is that their 'average' players still had sell-on value and they usually manage to recoup quite a lot of the original fee spent on them. We can't give our unwanted players away.

to be fair things have gone very stale, the whole place is on a downer again, we aint going anywhere and we wont be going anywhere until someone buys lerner out and spends really big, its horrible to see but lerner is quite happy with us strolling around mid table, he tried a few years back but failed to make us a success, we are without doubt one of the most boring clubs in the league to follow, but we have huge potential and hopefully one day we get to where we all want to be

Our downer was 10-13, 3 years when we were very close to being relegated on more than one occasion, some terrible players signed on terrible contracts and two poor managerial appointments (Houllier was the right thought process but the wrong bloke to execute the new continental approach).

Things are picking up slowly even if we are generally uninspiring to watch at Villa Park. 

I reckon we'll finish 9th or 10th this season which will indicate slow progess. I wouldn't call it a great achievement though as WBA finished 9th last season and they were garbage from January onwards.

And then we'd see what sort of investment is needed/required to try to push us back to competiting with the top 6 again.

That's even if Lerner is still around but I think he will be. Thought he might have sold up at some stage in the last 18 months but it isn't easy to sell a premier league club.

maybe I was being a bit to negative but I just feel like were falling behind that much, ok if we finish 9th that's a good achievement from last year but were so much closer to being in trouble again than we are to finishing 6th, the football were playing at home at times is useless, obviously lerner wants to sell up but hes waiting for the right time, are we an attractive enough club for a huge money man to come in and take us to champions league football? because that's what its all about really aint it I mean no one is just gonna plough huge amounts of money into a club just for Europa league football, for clubs like Southampton that's great and I do believe they will break the top 6 in the next couple of years but are we gonna get an abromovich type in the future, like I said I think the potential at villa is huge even though we aint what you call a glamourous club like for instance spurs are

Well yes Lerner has wasted millions on Villa by letting O'Neill buy shit, but that doesnt make him a great owner. It was his responsibility to create a structure at the  club with a world class scouting and recruitment system, and not letting a shouty northern irishman spend all of his dads money. I dont think Levy has given spurs lots of his own personal money, but he has been successful because he is a good businessman, and not a nice but bored philanthropist.

A strange comparison.

Levy to Spurs is what Faulkner is to Villa.

Joe Lewis is Spurs' Randy Lerner, and he doesn't attend games either.

to be fair things have gone very stale, the whole place is on a downer again, we aint going anywhere and we wont be going anywhere until someone buys lerner out and spends really big, its horrible to see but lerner is quite happy with us strolling around mid table, he tried a few years back but failed to make us a success, we are without doubt one of the most boring clubs in the league to follow, but we have huge potential and hopefully one day we get to where we all want to be

Our downer was 10-13, 3 years when we were very close to being relegated on more than one occasion, some terrible players signed on terrible contracts and two poor managerial appointments (Houllier was the right thought process but the wrong bloke to execute the new continental approach).

Things are picking up slowly even if we are generally uninspiring to watch at Villa Park. 

I reckon we'll finish 9th or 10th this season which will indicate slow progess. I wouldn't call it a great achievement though as WBA finished 9th last season and they were garbage from January onwards.

And then we'd see what sort of investment is needed/required to try to push us back to competiting with the top 6 again.

That's even if Lerner is still around but I think he will be. Thought he might have sold up at some stage in the last 18 months but it isn't easy to sell a premier league club.

maybe I was being a bit to negative but I just feel like were falling behind that much, ok if we finish 9th that's a good achievement from last year but were so much closer to being in trouble again than we are to finishing 6th, the football were playing at home at times is useless, obviously lerner wants to sell up but hes waiting for the right time, are we an attractive enough club for a huge money man to come in and take us to champions league football? because that's what its all about really aint it I mean no one is just gonna plough huge amounts of money into a club just for Europa league football, for clubs like Southampton that's great and I do believe they will break the top 6 in the next couple of years but are we gonna get an abromovich type in the future, like I said I think the potential at villa is huge even though we aint what you call a glamourous club like for instance spurs are

I have no idea what the future holds. I doubt in August 2008 anyone thought that overnight Man. City would turn into a world force (least of all the villa boardroom) and that became a problem as frustratingly Liverpool started to decline at the same time freeing up one of the champions league spots.....for Man. City.

Short term it's going to have to be small steps I'm afraid...top 10 would be progress. A problem will then occur when Benteke leaves as our recent record in replacing key players has been diabolical. There's a danger we could take steps back.

I think a decent legacy of the Lerner reign would be winning a trophy as champions league football looks very remote now. A FA cup win would be historical and I'd settle for the league cup no problem.

Â