Erdington it is...

StigVillan

Well i'm planning on moving to canada. **** you guys :D

Birmingham is nicer than hartlepool!

The only two places I would love to visit in this world are Canada and Texas

I have visited Quebec and Ontario, which I really liked, but would really like to do Western Canada.

Texas is pretty shit to be honest. There is stuff to see, but it would be low on my list of states to visit.

Have you thought about work yet? Chances are we'll both be looking for work in the same schools at the same time :P

If you need any heads up on schools around the area, don't hesitate to PM :)

Already got a post lined up mate.

Went for an assistant headship in a local school and was told I had the job a few weeks back. Obviously the notice you need to give is huge, so I thought I'd get things set early.

Means I've only got a week left in my school up here, then I'll be off until January when I start down there.

As an assistant head! Scary stuff!

This thread has got me thinking, Birmingham still has a very negative reputation around the rest of the UK, people still think of it as a shithole. As some of you know I moved to Birmingham earlier in the year, and many people said to me, why would you want to live there etc blah blah blah.

Stig's right. 

My missus (who's from Devon) was very pleasantly surprised by Brum. Says she'd never met such friendly people. 

I think that's true. Brummies seem to get stereotyped as dour and miserable, but the opposite is true. I think it's the accent that is deceptive. 

• Like 2

This thread has got me thinking, Birmingham still has a very negative reputation around the rest of the UK, people still think of it as a shithole. As some of you know I moved to Birmingham earlier in the year, and many people said to me, why would you want to live there etc blah blah blah.

Birmingham has a lot of nice suburbs, and even the not so great suburbs are decent places to live, especially when you compare to the relative poverty of living in London, e.g. for £120k you can get a decent 3 bedroom house, in London you'll be lucky to buy the ground floor of a house that is exactly the same size.

That said, the city centre is a complete shit heap.

• Like 1

I tell you now - honestly, sincerely and without bullshit - I am going to be proud; honoured and humbled to be part of a city as fantastic as yours.

I will be overjoyed to call it "mine" one day - no matter how long that might take. 

I'm not blowing smoke up your arses now, nor am I fishing for niceties.

I mean this.

My wife and her family are amazing people and every single time I've been down there, I've been overwhelmed. Birmingham feels like a small town with the sheer salt-of-the-earth feel of the people you meet, yet it has all the benefits of a thriving city.

You should be bloody proud of Brum - because I damn well am.

And I will do everything I can to make this city my "own" when I get down there. I'm a northern fella, and my loyalties run deep. But my loyalties are born out of love and respect - both of which I have in spades for Brum.

Now you can all call me ghey...

Â