Villa vs England

AndyBM

im a little surprised, and disapointed that a topic hasnt been made today regarding this. :)

i know its an old topic of conversation, but its risen its head today on twitter, mainly from stan collymore, and somebody else whos name i cant remember, about an article about how many players villa have contributed to the national side.

do we have any english players good enough to be internationals? i dont think we do, i think theres better out there in all positions, plus id prefer it if our players only played for villa, the england team is a joke and has been for a few years, dont want our lads being sucked into that, its degrading and a confidence knock

has anyone else seen or read the article? ill try and find it again

My order of caring is

1.) Aston Villa

2.) England

3.) Other countries

So I would be delighted if Tekkers got dropped from Belgium, I dont give two figs about their progress or not.

As for England, I think Gabby has been overlooked to be honest. Although I am fine with that from a Villa perspective his omission this year is strange.

I'm not English so I don't get into that passionate debate about England, other than observing it just like Holland or any other side that I care about, being European. I'm Norwegian, so our national side is as interesting to me as Swindon Town. That might sound harsh, but it's hard to care much about a side that is never, ever going to make an impression in the next ten years.

Anyway, the biggest problem with England is Roy Hodgson. He isn't big enough of a character to control the players, they will always have that impression that they are capable of doing better than what he is telling them to do, and that's why the cohesion is a bit off. The second problem, and I take the former back and call it the biggest problem before Hodgson, is the media. They want to win every tournament just like the next cynic, but if they cannot win they ensure that everything goes wrong. Too much pressure and too much negative sentiment is spilled out every time the smallest thing goes wrong. If Rooney is caught with a beer at dinner two days before a game they will make that the biggest issue in the world, they will spend more time on that than actually winning the WC if that ever happened. The media doesn't want a loss in the QF against a better side, they would rather want England to buck out in the group phase - so that they can publicly murder every single player and member of the staff. To be honest, I wouldn't even want Hodgson as manager for Norway and that says a lot. I mean, he is a gentleman and an old figure who hasn't done much wrong in his career. However, he has never been good has he? Been around Europe and done OK, but he failed at Liverpool and then he is suddenly good enough for England?

England have a very good team on paper. Sure you lack the outstanding players like Ronaldo, Messi and Bale (sadly not English, for both his and yours sake), but all in all there are numerous players of very high quality. Just because other nations have exceptionally gifted players in their teams it doesn't mean England are hyped up or lightyears away. Gerrard, Walcott and Rooney on their days can win against every defensive unit in the world, but we all know the Germans and the Spanish will do that EVERY single game. You aren't the best, obviously, but when was that a god-given right? England are very good on paper, and I am tired of the "shit" references going about when it hits the fan. 

As for AVFC and lack of players in the England-squad, I am sad we have no-one near it. But we finished 15th last season and we almost relegated, so why would our players be part of the elite squad? We had something like five players in when we finished 6th under MON and had a really exciting team, players like Young, Barry and Milner and so on. We have no-one of that calibre right now. People were talking about Westwood and Lowton last season, but a decent level for a crap team doesn't keep the manager excited. The difference from being good at Villa is lightyears away from being England-material. I mean, our players go out every game not knowing how the game is going to be like. We can win on on our day and we can lose at home to Hull or Crystal Palace. England needs players that are used to playing to win, used to keeping possession of the ball and keeping their cool in tough situations. Last year I saw decent/good players in Lowton and Westwood, but there are plenty of players from England that are much better. Lowton is a right-back and he can force his way through since there aren't that many good right-backs, but in midfield? Forget about it! Imagine him running around Xavi, Iniesta and all the others...

Will be an exciting WC, I will keep an eye on England as usual.

• Like 4

The biggest problem for England is not Roy Hodgson, it is the chronic dichotomy between expectations and the actual reality of the fact that bar the odd year, England have always been a average international side. 1 Semi final or better in any summer tournament other than than hosting one at home hardly makes us a big hitter in the international scene does it? That is on par with the footballing powerhouses of Bulgaria,Turkey or Poland.

Villa don't count for England at present as we are not in London or Manchester. Delph, Gabby and possibly in the long term perhaps Lowton and Westwood might one day get in the squad.

• Like 2

Villa

Villa reserves

Villa academy

Villa former players

Villa ladies

England

Very much this. I'm English born and bred but until the red tops stop picking England squads and players are selected on merit and not because of who they play for I will continue to be indifferent towards England.

I don't care if I'm accused of being unpatriotic, Villa are my passion and regardless of which division we are in it will always take priority over a bunch of mancs, scousers and cockney that wear an England shirt.

Edited by Robbie09
  • Like 2

That's pretty much it for me TFF. I can't stand the tedious cycle of the pre-tournament hype (mainly fueled by the media), England then being knocked out of the tournament around the quater-finals because that is about their level, then the post-tournament blaming process and supposed national reflection.

Same every tournament, bored now.

Edited by Isa
  • Like 1

We should have won the World Cup in 1990, and we should have won Euro 96.  Probably about the last time I gave a stuff, tbh.

And as for English players good enough for England , then Gabby.  Which unfortunately says rather a lot about the standard of English football these days.

Edited by Risso
  • Like 1

We should have won the World Cup in 1990, and we should have won Euro 96.  Probably about the last time I gave a stuff, tbh.

And as for English players good enough for England , then Gabby.  Which unfortunately says rather a lot about the standard of English football these days.

I am sorry but no way England should have won in 1990. They were very lucky to get to the 2nd round is the only team they beat was Egypt. In the second round they just beat Belgium thanks to Platty and if Cameron had been more street smart they would not have given us 2 penalties. Ok the semi final was close, but (West) Germany were the best side in a poor tournament.  In 96 England only played well in 1 match v the Netherlands and somehow beat Spain at penalties to again lose to Germany. Probably a better case to say we could have won in '96. However that peformance unfortunately created the deluded bunch of In-Ger-Land, red top reading, great escape fu*kwits who watch England ever since.

• Like 1

I am sorry but no way England should have won in 1990. They were very lucky to get to the 2nd round is the only team they beat was Egypt. In the second round they just beat Belgium thanks to Platty and if Cameron had been more street smart they would not have given us 2 penalties. Ok the semi final was close, but (West) Germany were the best side in a poor tournament.  In 96 England only played well in 1 match v the Netherlands and somehow beat Spain at penalties to again lose to Germany. Probably a better case to say we could have won in '96. However that peformance unfortunately created the deluded bunch of In-Ger-Land, red top reading, great escape fu*kwits who watch England ever since.

True they were disappointing in 1990 until they found the correct formula with Gazza and Platt in the middle. However we were the better side against Germany and would have won the final

Villa have always come first but the  FA have made such a balls-up of England managers since Sven that I have now stopped caring.

• Like 1

Until we stop 12 year olds playing on full size pitches in leagues where only the biggest kids get picked so they can hoof it forward to increase the chance of scoring in a win at all costs mentality, England will never play great football. A warm climate also helps so I'm off to burn some tyres.

• Like 3

for this squad I think delph could have been called up, for the brazil game at the end of last season it was criminal that gabby and lowton weren't called up

villa have contributed more players than anyone else to the England team haven't they? and that's with the years of constant bullshit over players not getting called up

can you imagine a english winning the CL this season and then having 1 player called up to the world cup? and it was before my time but I don't think withe kicked a ball for England in 82 did he?

True they were disappointing in 1990 until they found the correct formula with Gazza and Platt in the middle. However we were the better side against Germany and would have won the final

Villa have always come first but the  FA have made such a balls-up of England managers since Sven that I have now stopped caring.

Italia 90 was the abbreviation though. West Germany- WC runners up 86, Euro semi finals 88, WC winners 90, Euro runners up  92. England WC quarters, Euro first round 88, semi final 1990, euros 1st round 92. England have never consistenly reached semi finals or finals ever. Much like Villa, its many years of disappointment with the very occasional exicting flash of leg.

Until we stop 12 year olds playing on full size pitches in leagues where only the biggest kids get picked so they can hoof it forward to increase the chance of scoring in a win at all costs mentality, England will never play great football. A warm climate also helps so I'm off to burn some tyres.

Don't worry I am sure the great minds of Danny Mills, Glen Diamond Lights Hoddle and Sergeant Howard Wilko will think of the new big plan to sort all our ills out. Oh the horror, the horror.

• Like 1

Gazza was easily the best player I've seen in an England shirt. Shame about his "issues".

But, does anyone really care about the national team any more? There can't be too many these days.

Â