Villa vs England

AndyBM

Morning.

New here. I'll post a little bit about my self in the near future, but basically I'm a bloke in his late twenties, originally from near Newcastle and married to a wife who is a huge Villa fan. Moving down to your neck of the woods with her and the kids in the next month and hoping to get acquainted with a few of your fine selves.

Retuning to the original topic, I've NEVER been interested in England games. Just can't stick the rampant nepotism of it and the way primadonnas are automatically picked because of the league they play in - even if their form is appalling and there are players of a "lesser class" who are playing our of their skin in that position.

Wall of text over...

• Like 1

Over the past few years, Villa players getting into the England squad has often meant they get tapped up and move to another club, so the lower profile for our players the better as far as I'm concerned.

Yep - you look down the recent England team sheets and it is littered with midfielders who once played for our famous old club, and played together for us. Even Benty - now cottaging at Fulham.

I notice Sol 'shop steward' Campbell has turned up the old race card again too in terms of the 'new' workshop to help us win WC2022. This is partly why I get so fed up with football lately. Pussy-footing around all the time to make up quotas and seen at every turn to play a politically correct game... it just waters everything down as ends up focussing more on the colour of your skin, or the genitals you have between your legs. What this is about, is football. Football is the issue here. And now it seems the committee is full of racial hate shit. Shame on you Sol. Or shame on the BBC for putting words in your mouth.

And where are the homosexual footballers on the committee then Sol? Where do they fit in your utopian diverse culture? As a straight white male, I find it perverse that not a single Premier League player, nor an England player of the current generation has felt comfortable about 'coming out.' You see Sol, you can play football if you're black, Asian, Japanese - whatever, and even if you have a vagina between your legs... But you can't be gay... That's the bigger issue here... Now move along.

Sod it, let's put Hope Powell in there and we can tick two boxes for the price of one. (Did you see what I did there? How cynical... and I apologise)

For the record - I actually do agree that the committee needs to be more diverse. It's not about being racist or sexist or whatever political poisons that individuals want to try and provoke... No, I believe the committee should include people who are actually still properly involved in the game at today's coalface... Make it relevant to now and the future. Not cemented in some previous millenium.

Hoddle - totally fooked since his David Icke meltdown. Out of date.

Wilkinson - never been any good since Leeds 1991/92. Couldn't handle the Villa at Wembley either in 1996. Out of date.

Danny Mills? FFs.

Roger Burden? Never heard of him. Must be irrelevant.

And that's the problem innit blood?

• Like 2

I have and always will be as interested in England as I am with Villa. The main problem is international football. I'm as interested in England vs Moldova as I am Villa vs Rotherham in the league cup and a friendly is akin to a pre season game for Villa.

As for, oh but England's a joke...well Villa has been a bigger joke in the last 3 years and I'm not gonna stop supporting them, or the "I'm not supporting England while Hodgson in in charge"...McLeish anyone?

I'm going to the game tonight, I'm quite excited, it's a big game, as is Tuesday.

• Like 2

Until we stop 12 year olds playing on full size pitches in leagues where only the biggest kids get picked so they can hoof it forward to increase the chance of scoring in a win at all costs mentality, England will never play great football. A warm climate also helps so I'm off to burn some tyres.

Unless my memory has gone already, I thought they had already introduced that back when I was playing youth football (I'm Rooney's age). Might just have been the really young age groups. By that age won't Premier League teams have picked up the most talented players anyway? There must be some reason why Premier League teams can't turn talent into top players, maybe just a reluctance to take the gamble. Either way I don't think our chances in Brazil are that bad, assuming we get there of course. I think Villa in general have had a good record recently and have a few potential players atm. I do get pissed off when we don't have a game at the weekend, mind.

I'm still young and used to care about England. With Hodgson in charge I don't even watch the games any more, boring football, boring tactics, boring squad selection. Boring. When players on form start being picked and the same bunch of extremely average players stop being selected for no clear reason I might feel interested again.

I'm still young and used to care about England. With Hodgson in charge I don't even watch the games any more, boring football, boring tactics, boring squad selection. Boring. When players on form start being picked and the same bunch of extremely average players stop being selected for no clear reason I might feel interested again.

Out of intrest did you watch Villa under McLeish?

• Like 2

For me it is not the domestic game that has overtaken the international one, it is FIFA destroying the credibility of the world cup that has blown it for me.  FIFA are palpably out of touch with the common football fan and horribly corrupt.  I'm really glad we are not hosting a world cup as FIFA is a parasite that lands on a nations, sucks out all the wealth that it can before moving on to another host.  They have taken something beautiful in the World Cup and turned it into something tawdry and horrible (look at how many workers are dying to build the stadiums in Quatar right now).  No sport is worth the corruption and inhumanity that is done in the name of football right now.  I will be boycotting the event as much as I am able until it changes, but I imagine my individual efforts will be about as futile as a worker in Quatar trying to get his or her passport back from their employers

• Like 1

Season Ticket, every home match and all home cup games as far as I can remember. I didn't pay (I was 16 and my Dad buys the tickets) but I would have if I had the money, I support the team regardless of the manager.

EDIT: I also watched as many away games on streams as possible.

Edited by adw95

Season Ticket, every home match and all home cup games as far as I can remember. I didn't pay (I was 16 and my Dad buys the tickets) but I would have if I had the money, I support the team regardless of the manager.

EDIT: Also watched as many away games on streams as possible.

Isn't it the same thing though? This England team is nowhere near as boring as that Villa team.

EDIT: Also watched as many away games on streams as possible.

Isn't it the same thing though? This England team is nowhere near as boring as that Villa team.

The only thing linking me to England is my nationality, I've been brought up with Villa, hence the club will always be a major part of my life, England won't. I would rather Villa win the league cup than England win anything, especially at this point in time.

I really struggled to answer your question though, excellent point  :(

I notice Sol 'shop steward' Campbell has turned up the old race card again too in terms of the 'new' workshop to help us win WC2022. This is partly why I get so fed up with football lately. Pussy-footing around all the time to make up quotas and seen at every turn to play a politically correct game... it just waters everything down as ends up focussing more on the colour of your skin, or the genitals you have between your legs. What this is about, is football. Football is the issue here. And now it seems the committee is full of racial hate shit. Shame on you Sol. Or shame on the BBC for putting words in your mouth.

Didn't Sol Campbell allegedly used to put a mobile phone up his bottom and get Ashley Cole to ring him up?

Can't take him seriously since I read that in the Sunday Sport once.

I support the team regardless of the manager.

that's my current problem, id also add regardless of the players

until he went completely shit at the world cup I liked capello, cant stand roy, got absolutely no faith in him, he's doing more harm than good to our national team IMO shit tactics and he picks his favourites every squad

then like I said, the players... (I know he's now quit) terry, cole, gerrard, at times lampard, rooney, carroll, young, wishere... cant **** stand them, then you add in people who aren't there on merit... Johnson, welbeck, cleverly, rodwell, SWP...

its very hard to like the England team

to be honest, I have not given a toss about England since southgate missed that pen in 96. what a great tournament that captured the imagination of literally everyone in the country. and we had a decent side and coach.

but honestly I couldn't care less now, and not because they are rubbish either. if it came down to a choice between villa winning the f.a cup and England winning the world cup, I would slit my wrists to see the villa win the cup can't say I would do the same for country.

probably more than that these days, ''if its not villa... I don't care.''

Â