Villa vs England

AndyBM

Villa obvs but despite being Australian I do like to see England do well. If Gabby gets a spot in the squad for a world cup i'd be buying an England shirt with his name on it. 

It's odd. England have the biggest league in the world but are nowhere near it at the international level. The quality just isn't there.

You probably need a total overhaul of the academy system or something to start producing lots of genuine world class footballers. What are Spain and Germany doing that England aren't? Find out and fix it.

not paying 17 years olds £20k a week (luke shaw) and 18 year olds £60k a week (Daniel Sturridge)

far too many players in this country have "made it" before they've done anything

in spain, especially at Madrid and Barca it seems to take longer to make the breakthrough and be put on that pedestal, im sure both xavi, biscuits and iniesta were 20/21 before they played 20+ games a season, pedro was 22

English football is probably the only league in the world where you can score 2 goals vs sunderland at the age of 18 and overnight become the worlds best young player...

• Like 1

Also a brief reminder that Gazza was actually really good and not just a celebrity.

True, but he was also a complete dickhead.

Gazza could and should have been if he'd gone to Man U in the top 3 players in the world. He had everything one would need on the pitch but like many gifted sportmen before him he was flawed off the pitch and did not have enough sense to turn it around. Loved him as a player but sadly i fear we'll hear on the news in the not so distant future that he's been found in some hotel room no longer with us. 

Concerning the England team the players available simply aren't good enough. Yet another gifted ex player (Hoddle) has said the same thing as Trevor Brooking did several years ago that English players must learn to be comfortable on the ball. There isn't enough young English players coming through stifled by the foriegn invasion and until something is done about that i can't see the England team progressing.

The fact that we are not able to contribute to what is a poor England team at the moment speaks volumes for our recent transfer policy over the past three seasons.

Edited by Morpheus

We filled our squad up with the best English youngsters and gave them a platform to get into the full squad and actually play, and all we got for it was everyone of them leaving to go and make the numbers up at man city, man utd and Liverpool.

Has sitting on the bench at man city made Milner a better player? Has it ****. At villa he was becoming one of the best centre mids in England.

in short, I don't won't to see us fail, but id rather watch villa win the FA cup that England win the euros.

• Like 1

Dont really care much for engand these days, rarely watch them when their on apart from the tournaments, absolutely crazy about villa and they are a billion miles infront of england for me, but still proud to be english very much so

• Like 1

I lost a lot of passion for England after 2010 while my passion for Villa hasn't really changed since then. I have to say though, things have hit a new low for me since Hodgson has been England manager. His squad selections are baffling and his "football" is very similar to McLeish's.

• Like 1

I would rather Villa win the league cup than England win the euros or world cup.

I'd rather Villa win a training ground friendly against the under 11s than England win the World Cup.

I don't have anything against supporting England, as a concept, it's just that the current crop of players is as big a bunch of dislikable word removeds as you could possibly fit in to a squad., **** them, I hope they lose every game. If for no reason other than seeing that word removed John Terry pull out a Spain kit and turn up at the final to lift the trophy.

• Like 2

I would rather Villa win the league cup than England win the euros or world cup.

I'd rather Villa win a training ground friendly against the under 11s than England win the World Cup.

I don't have anything against supporting England, as a concept, it's just that the current crop of players is as big a bunch of dislikable word removeds as you could possibly fit in to a squad., **** them, I hope they lose every game. If for no reason other than seeing that word removed John Terry pull out a Spain kit and turn up at the final to lift the trophy.

Aptly put.

Villa

Villa reserves

Villa academy

Villa former players

Villa ladies

England

Very much this. I'm English born and bred but until the red tops stop picking England squads and players are selected on merit and not because of who they play for I will continue to be indifferent towards England.

I don't care if I'm accused of being unpatriotic, Villa are my passion and regardless of which division we are in it will always take priority over a bunch of mancs, scousers and cockney that wear an England shirt.

There's a Brummie up front for England tonight  :)

Villa

Villa reserves

Villa academy

Villa former players

Villa ladies

England

Very much this. I'm English born and bred but until the red tops stop picking England squads and players are selected on merit and not because of who they play for I will continue to be indifferent towards England.

I don't care if I'm accused of being unpatriotic, Villa are my passion and regardless of which division we are in it will always take priority over a bunch of mancs, scousers and cockney that wear an England shirt.

There's a Brummie up front for England tonight  :)

So? We're Villa fans, not fans of Birmingham clubs in general or players who were born in Birmingham.

• Like 1

The England team is good for one thing, curing insomnia. I actually hope England don't go to the world cup as I'm convinced I'll enjoy it more as a good spectacle without them there.

It's going to be a really boring weekend without any meaningful football to watch. 

I remember people on here saying they'd enjoy the 2008 tournament more because England didn't qualify. I've never understood that viewpoint.

I prefer Hodgson to Capello. No more John Terry and hopefully Lampard, who looked well off the pace yesterday, will be put out to pasture. Now to finish the job on Tuesday.

• Like 1

Villa and England for me rather than one or the other. Having seen us win the league, LC & EC in person and England win the WC on TV I have to say that they all gave me a hell of a lot of pleasure and club and international football is not a case of my club side against my national team.

Villa have made a great contribution to the England side over the years number wise as have ex-Villa players in more recent years although it has not helped us keep them at VP lately. Gabby and Lowton should have been in or closer to the England squad earlier this season but injury for Gabby and being out of the first team in the case of Matt have given Hodgson some grounds for not selecting them in the current squad that were not there earlier. Hodgson is another "yes man" in the style of Ron Greenwood who suits the FA and it seems having worked in our area he is now happy to ignore it when it comes to international squad selection. But any World Cup Finals without England in it is the same as a Champions League/EC without Villa in it namely something I have far less interest in. Villa are my team and although they are not as good as they were in the early 80s they will always have my support. In the same way England are my national team and will have the same although they are not the team they were in 66 or 70.             

• Like 2

Villa over England 100%, I used to love it when one of our boys was selected for the squad, but now, I breathe a sigh of relief when they AREN'T selected, as that means they can't get injured or tapped up.

Over the years I've just grown too cynical about international football and the england setup in particular. I sometimes get the buzz for major tournaments though, although when England score a goal it doesnt affect me nearly as much as when Villa score.

Our biggest problem is a grassroots coaching mentality stuck in the 1970s, a "reputation over form" selection policy and a manager who has turned the national side into the West Bromwich Albion of international football. Add into the equation that most of the players in the squad these days are complete words removed, and you get the picture.

I'd probably have more interest in the England team if they had built the national stadium at Tamworth (M6, A5, centre of national train network). Instead, they pandered to the words removed of Chelsea and re-built Wembley, totally taking away the symbolism of English football's 'home' and building a bowl of overpriced red seats.

Now it's just...

Eng-errrrrrrrr-laaaannnd...

Vinda-****-loo... etc

Can't stand it.

They can stick their Green Flag up their arse... or whoever the sponsor is these days.

Hope we win the World Cup though.

Edited by Raver50032

Â