The All Things Apple (Only) Topic

Gingerlad

Just tried to buy an iTunes gift card for someone. It's their birthday Thursday.

Problem 1: I went to the iTunes site and had to read loads of the page to find anything to do with gift cards.

Problem 2: Choice between Apple card and iTunes card. What's the difference?

Problem 3: Take a chance on iTunes card and it's all in dollars. Does it work out the conversion for me? Perhaps there's a UK site?

Problem 4: After ages of looking around the page, find a tiny link at the bottom to change country.

Problem 5: After clicking change country, can't find UK, turns out they lay out the countries in some weird way so you can't follow the alphabetical order and have to read every country.

Problem 6: Choose UK and it takes me back to the main page, Apple cards have now disappeared as an option, obviously they're US only. Obviously.

Problem 7: I want to spend £20. No option. It's £15 or £25. Why? There's $25 on the US site, which is closer to £20. Why don't they like £20?

Problem 8: Can't find any way to get them delivered electronically, and the earliest for free delivery is Friday.

Problem 9: After searching the help pages it turns out you apparently can get them delivered electronically, but only from within the iTunes app, in some menu on the right. Not from the web site you go to to buy this stuff.

What an absolute farce. Apple are a joke. The even bigger joke is that people think they're good with usability.

Just go to Tesco and buy one.

Yeah fair enough. The £15 or £25 really grinds my gears though. There's no good reason to do it other than arrogance.

Think I mentioned this somewhere before. We're doing a £10 secret Santa at work so I was going to buy someone one who buys loads of music off iTunes. But I can't!

• 4 weeks later...

Impressive attention to detail and a bit sad in equal measure.

The Screen of Each Laptop in the Apple Store Is Set to the Exact Same Angle

The Screen of Each Laptop in the Apple Store Is Set to the Exact Same Angle

It takes a lot of work to be this relaxed.

apple_sf615.png

In the sea of horror and despair that is the American shopping mall, the Apple Store is often a singular source of refuge. Check your email -- for as long as you want! Play a game of Angry Birds -- on the iPad of your choice! Ask a bearded blue-shirt named Jon anything at all about about the new MacBook Pro -- he'd be totally happy to talk about whatever!

Beneath all the chillness and chirpiness, though, is a consumer destination whose whimsy is the result of painstaking calibration. Think Disney World's underground tunnels, except with all the draconianism out on display and integral to the whole aesthetic. The products placed on blond-wood tables at precisely measured intervals. The reservations-only appointment system at the Genius Bar. The Five Steps of Service. The fact that Jon's beard is trimmed to a uniform three inches. It takes a lot of work to stay this relaxed.

Turns out, though, that there's one more bit of precision required to make the Apple Store so Apple-y. The notebook computers displayed on the store's tabletops and counters are set out, each day, to exactly the same angle. That angle being, precisely, 70 degrees: not as rigid as a table-perpendicular 90 degrees, but open enough -- and, also, closed enough -- for screens' content to remain visible and inviting to would-be typers and tinkerers.

The point, explains Carmine Gallo, who is writing a book on the inside workings of the Apple Store, is to get people to touch the devices. "The main reason notebook computers screens are slightly angled is to encourage customers to adjust the screen to their ideal viewing angle," he says -- "in other words, to touch the computer."

A tactile experience with an Apple product begets loyalty to Apple products, the thinking goes -- which means that the store exists to imprint a brand impression on visitors even more than it exists to extract money from them. "The ownership experience is more important than a sale," Gallo notes. Which means that the store -- and every single detail creating the experience of it -- are optimized for customers' personal indulgence. Apple wants you to touch stuff, to play with it, to make it your own. Its notebook computers are tilted at just the right angle to beckon you to their screens -- and, more importantly, to their keyboards. Come on in, they say. The trackpad's fine.

So how does Apple ensure that its products are precision-angled to send that message? Employees who open the store every day, Gallo writes, use a leveling device that allows them to tilt each computer screen to the correct 70-degree angle. The tool they employ for that task? An incline-measuring app loaded onto an iPhone.

• 4 weeks later...

OK I presume this is the correct thread rather than start another.  Can anyone tell me why when I compile playlists on my ITunes that it seems to automatically sort them into Alphabetical Order by track title?  In some ways, I think this is quite quirky as it gives a good random order - but sometimes, I really really want one specific tune to follow another so I am putting a random letter in front so that it follow the one I want- however that then affects the title in the main library too - not just on the playlist?  I am guessing that there is some way I can stop it sorting in this way, I've had a look but can't seem to find anything?  Anyone know?  Thanks

You can drag and drop tracks in a playlist to put them in any order you like. Or at least you could the last time I did it so unless it's changed in the past couple of months.

My only guess is you've clicked at the top of one of the columns in your playlist (up where it says "track name", "Artist", "Album" etc etc).

If you've clicked on track name, then chances are it's automatically sorting it by track name. I'd assume the solution would be to click on (and thus sort it by) the column on the very left, I'd guess it's titled "track number" or something similar (in any case it should be the number your track has been assigned on your playlist)

If that's not it then you must have some sort of setting clicked. Try browsing your preferences or options.

I am absolutely certain you can drag and drop tracks to put them in whatever order you want in a playlist (I'm a playlist whore :D I make new playlists pretty much every week so I've done this a lot) so it must be auto sorting it for some reason.

Edited by Stevo985

I've never understood why the Itunes that resides on your iphone doesn't have an "On the go playlist", where you could simply add songs you wanted to a playlist as it plays.

They've just added this function to the actual itunes, though overcomplicated it unnecessarily, and it's long overdue on the mobile devices.

It does.

In fact, my 3rd generation iPod had that feature (although a bit more complicated than these days). It's been on ipods/iphones for years

Edited by Stevo985

Click on whatever playlist it is.

Click the "+" symbol in the top right (I think)

Add whatever song you want by finding it in the list and clicking the big blue "+" sign that's next to it.

Nah, that's rubbish.

I want to be able to click on a song to play it, then add another song to be played next etc without having to edit an existing playlist. I know it sounds lazy, but for a device that can do so many things, such a facility is sadly lacking. I remember it being on the first mp3 jukebox I ever had, so I don't see why it's so difficult to implement.

The way they've put it into desktop iTunes is quite clever, I just wish they'd done something similar on the phone app.

Ooooohhhhhhhhhh... I see what you mean. I thought you just meant making a playlist on your phone.

More like a queue than a playlist.

No I don't think you can do that to be fair. Although a quick google says there's a couple of apps that will do it.

"On Cue" or "Play It Next"

Never used them so can't vouch for their quality.

• 8 months later...

Picked up a new iPod touch yesterday. Went for 4th generation over the 5th one as i prefer the size/shape. It is a thing of beauty. Surprised how slim it is. Say what you want about Apple, they make good looking and well built products. 

I just don't like the 5th generation shape... its just looks a bit long. The screen needs be wider. Hopefully they will remedy this in the 6th generation of products. I'm happy with my iPhone 4S and iPod Touch 4  :)

Â