The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

On 28 November 2015 at 19:56:11, villarocker said:

Villa fans are f***ed up and it's because of the shite we've put up with since consecutive seasons of finishing 6th and challenging for 4th. It's destroyed our sense of reasoning. 

Sadly, I think you might be on to something with that line.

when I read on here the amount of reference to technical issues and an apparent disregard for the more physical essentials of the premier league......and the mental requirements that are necessary.

i can perfectly understand the point you make.

just to remind some of the younger fans.....even the great days of the late 70's, early 80's was never the most gifted side technically.......but we knew how to apply the basics and win.

9 minutes ago, bobzy said:

What point am I making exactly?  One guy has just called our manager "one of the worst managers in Aston Villa's history" after he's been in charge for only 3 games :D

Again, he did not say that, please try and read the post properly. Oh and again, you keep putting that phrase in quotes but its not an actual quote anyone said.

Is there that much of a difference between 'Remi Garde will go down as one of worst ever managerial appointments' and 'Remi Garde is one of worst ever managers'?

I mean, really? 

Both statements are stupid after 3 games. Both statements are ridiculous hyperbole after 3 games.

And both statements are opinions, yeah, but that doesn't mean they can't be challenged.

• Like 2

On 29 November 2015 at 16:44:30, villianusa said:

We have heard from Garde we are too light, and we aren't competitive enough

This has been the case for far too long and under previous managers.....we should have addressed this most alarming and obvious issue in the transfer market and we have failed to do so.

This massive misjudgment will be our undoing.

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

Is there that much of a difference between 'Remi Garde will go down as one of worst ever managerial appointments' and 'Remi Garde is one of worst ever managers'?

I mean, really? 

Both statements are stupid after 3 games. Both statements are ridiculous hyperbole after 3 games.

And both statements are opinions, yeah, but that doesn't mean they can't be challenged.

Well for a start yes they are very different, predicting he will go down as one of the worst is fine if thats your opinion but actually saying he IS when he's only been here 3 games is much more ridiculous, even if the former statement can also be considered silly considering.

Anything can be challenged of course but usually not by repeatedly inventing stuff that was never said.

I'm not disagreeing with you.

Both statements are equally stupid after 3 games in the job.

Predicting he will be the worst after 3 games, on the basis on what? It's just nonsense. Designed to provoke a reaction.

And it worked.

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Remi Garde will go down as one of the greatest ever managerial appointments the world has ever seen, ever.

.........and Sherwood the worst, nothing like a bit of hyperbole to get the veins pumping.

on a serious note.

I hope Remi does well, but I felt the same for Tim.....and both have not been with us long enough to make an impact.

right now watching the football, I wouldn't put cigarette paper between them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cliffy Biro said:

Again, he did not say that, please try and read the post properly. Oh and again, you keep putting that phrase in quotes but its not an actual quote anyone said.

Apologies for the quotations.

One guy has just said that Garde "will go down as one of the worst" managerial appointments in Aston Villa's history after he's been in charge for just 3 games :D

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

.........and Sherwood the worst, nothing like a bit of hyperbole to get the veins pumping.

on a serious note.

I hope Remi does well, but I felt the same for Tim.....and both have not been with us long enough to make an impact.

right now watching the football, I wouldn't put cigarette paper between them.

Worst of all time? No.

But Sherwood is certainly one of the worst managers Villa have had in my lifetime as a fan (since Big Ron). I don't think that's Hyperbole at all.

As for Remi, it's impossible to say how good or bad he'll be.

For me, he's shown more in his 3 games here than Sherwood has shown all season. But that could be down to a number of factors. Just look at the reaction Sherwood got last season, for example. Plus, I think he comes across as knowledgeable, calm, organised, and intelligent. Things which Sherwood could only dream of.

So my prediction is he'll do well for us and will prove to be better than Sherwood. But that's really based on a hunch at this point.

• Like 1

Remi & Tim are like chalk and cheese as far as character is concerned.

as far as the football is concerned there is little difference at present and a similar chance of getting a result.

it us much too early of course for Remi, but it will be interesting to see if contrasting personalities finds its way on the the field if play.

.....we will see.

46 minutes ago, Cliffy Biro said:

Who are you quoting there? Nobody said that but dont let that get in the way of your point. He said he will go down as one of the worst in his opinion which while harsh its his opinion.

Thanks.

Correct, in my opinion when he leaves (not currently) he will go down as one of the worst managers we have ever had.

I don't have anything to back that other than a hunch. Hope to be proved wrong as that means Villa will be doing well.

Edited by jim

Not sure why people are giving up, a couple of wins and we are back in with a chance. Also remember towards the tail end of the season where teams who have nothing to play won't be up for a fight so we could easily get a few wins (just like wigan did for years).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Only in true VT-style - nothing major :D

Interesting hunch though.  Based on Garde's ability or that we didn't go for someone else?

Both.

I don't know, everything is so shite at the minute it has zapped all the positivity out of me.

I'm not ruling it out obviously.  There are still 72pts available.  I suppose my POV would be best described as "I'd be more surprised if we stay up now".

I'm desperately hanging on to a few positives - firstly, we have made a managerial change in time for that change to work. For the first 14 games we have been 7-12 points worse than our rivals down the bottom. It's entirely possible that over the next 14 games as Garde's changes take hold we could be 7-12 points better than them?

Secondly, we are in a position to spend £20-£25m to improve our squad, something that Bournemouth, Sunderland, Norwich and Swansea are probably not able to do - how many extra points would a £25m spend give you over the rest of the season?

I'm not saying that this will happen, just that this would be the kind of thing we would be saying if we were supporters of one of our rivals

• Like 2

Just now, VillaCas said:

I'm desperately hanging on to a few positives - firstly, we have made a managerial change in time for that change to work. For the first 14 games we have been 7-12 points worse than our rivals down the bottom. It's entirely possible that over the next 14 games as Garde's changes take hold we could be 7-12 points better than them?

Secondly, we are in a position to spend £20-£25m to improve our squad, something that Bournemouth, Sunderland, Norwich and Swansea are probably not able to do - how many extra points would a £25m spend give you over the rest of the season?

I'm not saying that this will happen, just that this would be the kind of thing we would be saying if we were supporters of one of our rivals

I think December is vital. If Garde can carry on the improvement and pick up a few wins to at least keep us (get us?) in touch with safety, then I think we'll spend in January to ensure we have a chance of staying up.

If we can't pick up many points in December then spending will probably be futile, and I can see us going down with a whimper

Â