Metal Gear Solid

villarule123

Desperate to get this tomorrow. Typically I've recently changed jobs so no chance of time off. Why didn't this get released last Friday????

Worldwide simultaneous release, tied into the standard Tuesday US release day.

I played through the demo last night just to get ready for it.

Don't know why as it'll be ages before i justify buying it, i need ges which you can play an hour before bed, mgs games aren't really those types of games

Is it essential to have played Ground Zeroes?

Having put a few hours into it... No. The game makes a few passing references to the events of Ground Zeroes, but so far very little of any weight. To be honest so little happens in Ground Zeroes that it'd be difficult to do anything of any significance with it. In essence GZ sets up the situation that Big Boss finds himself in in MGS5, and it appears that's about it...

I played through the demo last night just to get ready for it.

Don't know why as it'll be ages before i justify buying it, i need ges which you can play an hour before bed, mgs games aren't really those types of games

• Like 1

I spent a good 10-15 minutes earlier planning an assassination mission, just watching the movement of the guards, looking for weaknesses etc.

Anyway, the plan is going smoothly and I seem to have the correct approach when I get spotted by a guard and all hell breaks loose in typical exclamation mark style.

Then at that precise moment a sandstorm breaks out and myself and the enemy find ourselves struggling for visibility.

So, I stagger about blindly in the general direction of the base, hop through an open window and find myself face to face with my assassination target who I quickly relieve of life.

I then jump back through the window, out into the still ongoing sandstorm and peg it away from the base.

Just as i'm out of the danger zone, the sandstorm subsides and the mission is complete.

I am willing to bet if I tried the mission again, the sandstorm wouldn't materialise.

This game is **** gold.

• Like 1

Had similar happen to me.

In one of the very first side op missions I was sent to extract a high value soldier. I was given a rough area to find them and set off on my horse. Finally manage to get there having put a couple of guard posts to sleep and dodged a truck that came hairing round a blind bend, I stumble upon a fort in the region the guy is meant to be in. I scope it out but can't get into a position to fully survey the area. After a while I think I'll just stealth it on the fly. I sneak across a river, pop a tranq in the head of a guy who nearly rumbles me, then sneak up behind another guy, grab him, drag him out of sight and interrogate him for the location of the target. Then a guard on a wall sees me with a knife to his buddy and ask hell breaks loose.

I storm the fort as a sandstorm blows in, blindly firing and flukily managing to clear it out. I search the place high and low as a guard patrol searches for me. Target nowhere to be seen. I decide to call it, book it out of the fort including a dive to cover through the gate to take out 2 guards still searching for me, sprint for the river and grab the horse to try again later. I turn a blind corner.

There the bastard is. A sniper unit, watching a bridge on the other route into the fort. I drop off the horse, crawl to a rock, heart in mouth amazed they've not seen me. I pull out the tranq gun, there's 3 guys and 4 darts left, they're quite a way away, and the silencer is about to go... I nail the first guy, but it alerts the others. I get the second with a headshot. The target has spotted me, is readying to fire, I fire the shot and the silencer goes, the shot misses. A truck passes by us and hears the shot. I take the second final dart and get the headshot, Fulton all 3, jump on the horse and gallop away, calling in the chopper as the guys in the truck just reach where I was.

I basically completely **** up. But it turned into some of the best gameplay of recent times, I was always seconds away from messing up entirely and managed to to fluke it to success by the skin of my teeth.

Brilliant stuff and this is literally one is the first things proper the game allows you to do.

Still really want this but feel it's a bad idea as I haven't played ANY of them.

Get hold of Ground Zeroes to see if you'll like the gameplay. Beyond that, the position in the storyline means it reference s MGS3, Peace Walker and Ground Zeroes and no others, and having not played Peace Walker I don't think I'm missing out on anything major. And the game itself has little recaps in it, a character gives you a cassette briefing which gets you upto general speed on the exact situation the game is set in if not the exact details of the previous games. Besides that YouTube is full of Metal Gear story recaps, including at least 1 vid that just turns Peace Walker into a movie.

I'm really not feeling this.

Glad I'm not the only one. Maybe it's early days and will get into it. Early days I guess....

I only had about 5 hours sleep since Sunday day time so maybe it was over tired/zombie state. I want to at least get passed the first mission where the area is locked off.

But so far I'm finding it quite boring, I get its meant to be military based. Gather Intel before you strike/plan what you're going to do. I'm just not sure that works in a sand box type game. Obviously Ive barely scratched the surface yet so I want to see where you get all the cool stuff.

Will say this.....the control system/in game menu is so unintuvite. Why do I have to press 50 buttons to call the horse. Wondering out of cover is also very annoying.

Edited by mightysasquatch

Â