Metal Gear Solid

villarule123

The first Metal Gear Solid on PS1 evokes brilliant memories for me. It was a pretty game changing...erm, game, and IMO will always go down as one of the all time greats. I can't imagine it'd have the same impact now if it was to be played for the first time, but at the time it was just astonishing (especially the Cyborg Ninja first cut scene, I was completely cacking my pants).

I played that game millions of times but never actually played any of the others after that, but the missus got me the HD collection for xmas (MGS2, MGS3 & Snake Eater) so I'm making up for everything I've missed. It's a brilliant series.

What do people think about Kiefer Sutherland replacing David Hayter as the voice of Big Boss/Snake?

I think it's a **** disgrace

Really? Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Hayter but I can see their angle that they needed a different kind of voice for this kind of game. Sutherland can sound a lot like Hayter anyway so I don't mind so much.

And knowing Kojima you can never rule out Hayter being in the next game in some form.

What do people think about Kiefer Sutherland replacing David Hayter as the voice of Big Boss/Snake?

Really? Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Hayter but I can see their angle that they needed a different kind of voice for this kind of game. Sutherland can sound a lot like Hayter anyway so I don't mind so much.

And knowing Kojima you can never rule out Hayter being in the next game in some form.

Yes, really. Keith can sound as much like him as he wants, but he will never be my David :unsure: There were also better choices - surely Kurt Russell would have been the most logical choice if they wanted a bone fide Hollywood star to do the voice.

The latter is a very good point though. Would be typical MGS weirdness if you got to the end and the real Snake showed up, voiced by David! :detect:

Edited by hogso

They needed an actor this time around, not just a voice. With full body mocap commonplace these days it'll happen more and more. If you can't actually act you'll not be getting leads in games any more

They needed an actor this time around, not just a voice. With full body mocap commonplace these days it'll happen more and more. If you can't actually act you'll not be getting leads in games any more

I watched all the making of Beyond vids, and it really is a massively impressive and effective technique. However, I fully expect they could sync a voice with any old mocap actor if they wanted.

I've tried so many times to get into the mgs series, but failed on every occasion. I genuinely don't get it - for me they're absolute garbage

Eh?

I can understand you not "getting it", but garbage? That's a bit strong!

Well, i got the full pack there last year to give it another go, and the games are, for the most part, awful IMO. Whether it's shoddy controls, a bizarre floaty non-weight to everything or the ridiculous stories that read like a 10 year old on acid wrote them after watching the bourne supremacy, or a combination of everything, I don't know. What I do know is that I think they're cack, every one of them

i picked up the HD game last year too and was really surprised how much i didnt enjoy it

can remember MGS and being blown away (im with wainy, along with resi and i'd add FF7 i went from loving video games to having an addiction to games) playing the demo for the 1st 30 mins of the 2nd one over and over, loved 80% of the full game until it went daft at the end, the 3rd one was ok and the gimmicks were good enough to make it enjoyable, completed the 4th one but found it frustrating with all the stopping and starting

played the GC remake and loved it, played 30 minutes of 4 again and couldnt do it, played probably 2 hours of each of the HD games and couldnt do them either, bored me to tears

couldnt work out if it was knowing whats going to happen or number 4 ruining the series for me

im not overly bothered by the new one, i'll pick it up, but im not hyped about it, its going for £20 (ps3 / 360) and £26 (ps4 / xbone) on gamestop and i cant even bring myself to preorder it

If I was going to pick one person to do it probably would be Kiefer.  It still saddens me that I won't be hearing Hayter any more though.  Not sure of the full story but wasn't he a bit screwed over with it? 

Going back to p3te's point, I think he has touched on something which could be a huge problem in that videogames tend to be very much a product of their time. A lot of games can age badly, Goldeneye is the example I like to give but MGS can be put in that bracket too.  When MGS came out on the Playstation in 98 it was groundbreaking, the graphics were mindblowing at the time (which seems laughable now, but they really were!) and what the audience expects a game to feel like from a control point today just didn't exist back then, it's probably one of the big reasons why games were far more of a niche thing until, well, until Call of Duty 4 I guess.  Kojima knew this problem and he explores it in quite a bit of depth in MGS4, those who have played the game will know exactly what I mean but as the OP hasn't and is interested then I'd rather not spoil it but:

The whole section where you return to Shadow Moses which kicks off with you playing an emulated version of MGS really is there to hammer home that Snake, and by association the games he appears in, are a relic of a bygone era.

Edited by The_Rev

It seems as though Ground Zeroes is about 2 hours long :unsure: For the main bit anyway. Game Informer have a big piece on it, there's some sort of bullet time if/when a guard discovers you, the vechicles are terrible, and it looks a little bit better on PS4 than XBONE.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I went out and got the metal gear HD pack today for 12 quid, got back home and played about 30 minutes of it and it just felt wrong jumping into them games when I could quite easily give myself a refresher on metal gear solid first so I bought that off the PSN for £7.99

Just about to stick it on I **** loved this game when it came out but never played any of the others

• Like 1

Â