how to beat the bookmaker

villaguy

I'm going to post some of Dick's Tips as well. These are based studying the form for a few minutes, looking at who's tipping what and the science of "liking the name".

I'm not going to bet any money on anything yet, but will spend a few days seeing how I do. Then I'll blow my wages and ruin Christmas...

So for today:

2:40 Leicester - Zafranagar 3/1 F

3:40 Leicester - Great Link 33/1 e/w

4.30 Wolves - Ruwaiyan - 13/8 F

I'm going to post some of Dick's Tips as well. These are based studying the form for a few minutes, looking at who's tipping what and the science of "liking the name".

I'm not going to bet any money on anything yet, but will spend a few days seeing how I do. Then I'll blow my wages and ruin Christmas...

So for today:

You should probably put values with you bet, £s or your own currency e.g dicks or would all bets be for the same amount? and then are each way bets half the size of to win bets? 

Uxizandre won doing handstands, he's right in the book for Cheltenham Festival. Jewson potentially. I'd say he'll go up in class now and he'll be one to back next time out for sure.

Wish I'd had more on today, but it being Monday racing and all, I don't over do it mid week.

So for today:

You should probably put values with you bet, £s or your own currency e.g dicks or would all bets be for the same amount? and then are each way bets half the size of to win bets? 

Good idea, Zak.

I'm going to put 20 plums in my BetDick account to start myself off.

I'll have: 

4p on Zafrangar to win @ 3/1

2p e/w (4p) on Great Link to place (1,2,3)

4p on Ruwaiyan to win @ 13/8

leaving 8 plums in my BetDick account...

So for today:

Zafranagar in the 2:40 Leicester has a great chance, but I am just wary of the 2 day turnaround so gave him a miss today.

Also I wouldn't include all weather flat racing. I don't bet on flatgash. Wolves is an all weather track.

Haha thanks, it was a bad weekend if I'm perfectly honest, was close to winning both the big handicaps with Colour Squadron and Rawnaq so feels like chance missed.

Lookout Mountain was also very unlucky. Plus my Friday selection of Edmaaj was poor as I missed the obvious Ruby over for 1 ride. On revision AP was likely on a low weight as he wanted to ride Colour Squadron in Paddy Power, but Finians Rainbow ended up running when he was unikely to, meaning AP couldn't do the weight as weights didn't rise. So AP wasn't on a low weight specifically for the Edmaaj ride. Lesson learned.

Anyway as I stated in the thread it's swings and roundabouts, ups and downs. The point is to bet on horses who's prices underestimate their chances of winning. You do this over the course of a season and you'll make profit.

Staking levels are also a tough skill, when you see a price that is so outta whack with what it should be you have to up the stakes, even if it's a 20/1 shot and odds are you'll lose, it's simply based on estimated returns.

That's why "tips" only work if you've inside info, like my tip from my mate in the bumper at Newcastle on Friday. He's a line into nicky Richards yard.

• Like 1

Pretty good today CVB - 2 wins and a place from your 3 tipped favourites.

How far ahead are you betting to get those prices?

eg. Doubletoilntrouble ended up 5/4f from your 3/1

Waiting for the 4.30 to see if Ruwaiyan can make it 2 out of 3 for me too.

dicky, odds ususually start going up for the next days racing around 5pm the day before. Bookies use people like me and others to "mark their card" ie they use us who get our bets on early the day before to let them know where they've priced a horse too big etc.. small amounts of money can change markets at this time. Hell even a big bet from one "marked" punter can change odds.

i've an account with every bookie and with the ones I can't bet with I use my mates account. So I can pick the best odds on offer. The site oddschecker.com is where you look at all the odds available. Blue on oddschecker means horses being backed, red means drifting

for example

Tuesdays Racing

2:30 Fakenham - Dursey Sound – £40 @ 11/8 – I like this horse, had some nice hurdles runs last season until he got some sore shins when losing at Warwick in Jan. Won nicely on his debut when had subsequent winner boyfromnowhere in behind, 2nd that day was Foundry Square who was in with a chance when falling at the last on his subsequent start. Dursey fell himself lto when all set for a duel with the winner. Cheekpieces are put on now to make him concentrate a bit more. What is also of note is that AP is going all the way up to Scotland for just this one ride, so he must be hopeful of a win himself.

Edited by CVByrne
  • Like 3

Dick's Tips for Tuesday:

Not many good prices around, so a couple of each ways today.

Ruby Valentine 10/1 ew 1:00 Fakenham

Uncle Dermot 6/1 e/w 12.40 Southall

Hannah's Turn 10/3 win 3.40 Southall

My winner yesterday @ 3/1 gave me 16p + 8p remaining in my sack = 24p 

I'm going to stake 4p on each race today, leaving 12p in my sack.

Lingfield 3:20 - Young Hurricane £10 @ 11/4 - Some decent form over hurdles, fell on chase debut on 7th start last season, given summer off and had nice prep back over hurdles lto. Sam Twisten-Davies has been booked and it's his only ride also. Testing ground is a bit of a worry though.

Edited by CVByrne

Wexford 2:15 - Fernhurst Lad £10 @ 19.0 (betfair) – Tony Martin had Ruby up for h/c hurdle last time out on debut for the new yard and was popular in the betting but never factored. Maybe he needed the run and he’s available at 4 times the price today. Martin sticks with the h/c hurdles today so he must think he has a win in him over these before resuming his chasing career. Chance taken on him and will go in again if he has market support. Martins only runner at Wexford today.

Edited by CVByrne

Wexford 3:15 - Fernhurst Lad £10 @ 19.0 (betfair) – Tony Martin had Ruby up for h/c hurdle last time out on debut for the new yard and was popular in the betting but never factored. Maybe he needed the run and he’s available at 4 times the price today. Martin sticks with the h/c hurdles today so he must think he has a win in him over these before resuming his chasing career. Chance taken on him and will go in again if he has market support. Martins only runner at Wexford today.

Wexford 2:15?

Â