Libor Kozák

samjp26

I think he'll be good for us, but he absolutely needs a better supply line, without that we won't get the best out of him. Benteke can create things from nothing, he's that good, Kozak isn't really cut from that sort of cloth. 

And that might be a blessing in disguise. I don't think Marc being back in the starting lineup is a coincidence given Benteke's injury

• Like 1

Tonev and Albrighton on the wings with Kozak up top could work, if Tonev can indeed cross the ball.

Like it did against Spurs?

Yes, exactly like it did against Spurs.

I'm not sure if this contains any sarcasm or not, but Tonev, Kozak and Albrighton did not work at all well together against Spurs. Kozak was far too isolated, and all of his knock ons went directly back to Spurs. Not only that, but neither Albrighton, nor Tonev were able to fashion any meaningful chances for Kozak in the penalty area. They needed to be narrower and running past Kozak in order to pick up his flick ons. I have more faith in a potential partnership of Gabby, Kozak and Weimann.

I have more faith in a potential partnership of Gabby, Kozak and Weimann.

I don't. With Benteke you can play Gabby and Weimann out wide, because Benteke can create things himself. Unless I've completely misjudged Kozak, I don't think that's going to be effective with him leading the line. If anything I'd have him up top, Gabby behind him to run past for flick ons, and guys who can actually cross the ball on the flanks (which at the moment, we've only got one of in Marc, and he's been out of the team for the best part of the  year, so can't really be expected to pull up any trees initially)

I don't. With Benteke you can play Gabby and Weimann out wide, because Benteke can create things himself. Unless I've completely misjudged Kozak, I don't think that's going to be effective with him leading the line. If anything I'd have him up top, Gabby behind him to run past for flick ons, and guys who can actually cross the ball on the flanks (which at the moment, we've only got one of in Marc, and he's been out of the team for the best part of the  year, so can't really be expected to pull up any trees initially)

I wasn't saying I have more faith in Kozak over Benteke, but that I have more faith in Gabby and Weimann playing alongside him than Tonev and Albrighton.

I wasn't saying I have more faith in Kozak over Benteke, but that I have more faith in Gabby and Weimann playing alongside him than Tonev and Albrighton.

I get that, but if you're playing those 2 out wide, then I struggle to see any value in Kozak being there at all is what I'm getting at. Better surely to play Andi in the central role, Gabby out on one side and then either Marc or Tonev on the other (or possibly even Lowton or Bennett, given that they're both very good crossers of the ball and decent footballers, and that we've got guys who look a touch more reliable in the defensive side of their games to play RB and LB)

I get that, but if you're playing those 2 out wide, then I struggle to see any value in Kozak being there at all is what I'm getting at. Better surely to play Andi in the central role, Gabby out on one side and then either Marc or Tonev on the other (or possibly even Lowton or Bennett, given that they're both very good crossers of the ball and decent footballers, and that we've got guys who look a touch more reliable in the defensive side of their games to play RB and LB)

Hmmm yes I see what you mean.

I don't think I'd be brave enough to play 442 against Manchester City personally, but I could certainly see a case for that in future games. Had Kozak been on the pitch during the second half against Spurs then he may have been able to get on the end of one of the crosses that came into the box.

That said, the Gabby - Kozak - Weimann forward line has already produced a goal for Kozak, and I personally think Gabby and Weimann would benefit from his flick ons more than Albrighton and Tonev would.

We've got a very versatile front line TBH, and I'd like to see their positions changed depending on the opposition. If you're against someone who's going to play deep, then Kozak as a target man with Andi playing off him for knock ons would be ideal. If it's a team who'll be advancing up the pitch, swap Andi with Gabby and make use of his pace to get in behind for flicks. If it's a team susceptible to crosses, play guys who can cross. If it's a physical side, then Helenius, Kozak and Gabby might work. And when Benteke's back, just play him :lol:

Â