Match Thread

KjParton

It's hilarious that when we make 11 substitutions in every game in pre-season that people are moaning about the results. Clearly the impetus isn't on getting victories.

I agree with people who are saying the defensive mishap that caused the 2nd goal is definitely cause for concern because it was just atrocious and I have no doubt Lambert will address it.

Despite that however how you can complain as though these matches actually mean something at this point just shows the naive mentality that most us football fans have towards managing a team. None of us have an honest clue about what needs to go into a pre-season because we aren't managers, all we ever do is fantasy pick who we want in teams we don't know diddly squat about the standard of the squad in regards to fitness or training.

I think for people who are annoyed about this they should just relax. It's a pre-season friendly of which we made 11 substitutions. It was hardly a competitive game worth anything.

Bit of a waste of time, money and effort really.

Our fans and their stewards were shite. Our fans for kicking off and their stewards for handling the situation terribly.

Really like Robinson and Grealish.

I agree with people who are saying the defensive mishap that caused the 2nd goal is definitely cause for concern because it was just atrocious and I have no doubt Lambert will address it.

Didn't see the match (neither did many people trying to watch the live stream by the sound of it!) and there are no highlights yet, so I can't comment on this goal but, on a general point, the two we conceded against Wycombe came from abysmal defending and we defended really poorly for most of last season.

Don't you think he should have addressed this already? Why the certainty that he will be able to get us defending better? It doesn't seem to be based on much evidence so far.

Clearly the impetus isn't on getting victories.

So? Thankfully the result is irrelevant but whatever the impetus (the same impetus shared by the opposition ironically), we should be beating these teams comfortably. There should be a natural impetus to win. Penos in the backyard with my brother - I have an overwhelming impetus to win. 

Let's not forget Luton's season starts a few weeks before ours so they will be closer to full fitness.

Tbf I don't think their number 6 has ever been close to full fitness in his life :)

Was at the game. I'm well aware that results in pre season do not necessarily reflect how the season will play out - but today there were two things that stood out like a sore thumb to me even over the two XI's, namely our inability to defend (Clark and Vlaar were very bad and Herd was poor or at half too in my opinion) but also the inability to create clear chances...against a conference side.

With our injuries to our strikers and Benteke not being match fit along with the frailties I've mentioned above I'm genuinely worried about what the likes of Arsenal, Liverpool and Man City will do to us in our opening few games.

We just cannot keep a clean sheet. Out defence was all over the place tonight, run ragged at times by Luton Town.

Edited by roonst83

Bit of a waste of time, money and effort really.

Our fans and their stewards were shite. Our fans for kicking off and their stewards for handling the situation terribly.

Really like Robinson and Grealish.

A little from column A and a little from column B (which you've not posted!). They did set a flare off, which was a bit silly and the seats were taking a beating. On the flip side the stewards were MASSIVELY over zealous, especially that eastern European fella with arms as big as my neck. They were though, in the main, just kids on an away day and enjoying themselves. Could have been avoided for sure. The excuse they used was that the lad in the black t-shirt starting off all the chants/songs had thrown a bottle. Incredibly doubtful, that wasn't his MO at all.

I had no Internet, I was trying to DM you but no joy and I was pretty much in and out due to train times.

I got my first "taste" of the infamous villa bitch too, what a thing that is. Though she did mention that I was gorgeous as I passed by after my half time fag in what seemed to be somebodies back garden. A win is a win!

What a hovel Luton is. Oh well, can tick it off the list.

Despite all the joking and piss taking that people would start to panic if we didn't get great results in pre season, people are still panicking as we haven't got great results pre-season.

Don't worry about it.

• Like 2

I agree reults are not paramount, but scraping a draw with Wycombe and losing at Luton is a tad desperate.

We should have the class to beat these teams with ease

Although the goals we conceded were the result of poor defending, Lambert said these games have been purely for fitness. Great to see Benteke back for half a game and there were a few good touches from him.

Part of the frustration is having nine players injured, in the sense that when they're back we will be a lot stronger.

It's been a big ask for the players that have taken their places however some valuable experience for some of the emerging members of our squad.

Lambert said there may be one or two back for Friday, few more for Shamrock but a few others will take a bit longer.

The case may be we won't see Lambert's first eleven until the Malaga game and even that may be affected by injuries.

Nine first team players out. Nine. 11 changes, at no point did we have our best team out.

You just can't judge these games by the norm.

Besides, Lowton was one of the worst players in the pitch. What does that tell you?

That his goal versus Stoke and performance v Sunderland have pulled the wool over many fans in that for the vast majority of the season (first 2/3) he struggled. Was not the worst by any means though.

Baring in mind you see these games as fitness Doug, isnt the fact that we have nine senior players injured, still proof that we are currently failing to prepare properly for the season?

Edited by Woodytom

Nine first team players out. Nine. 11 changes, at no point did we have our best team out.

Besides, Lowton was one of the worst players in the pitch. What does that tell you?

That his goal versus Stoke and performance v Sunderland have pulled the wool over many fans in that for the vast majority of the season (first 2/3) he struggled. 

Funny how a young player making a 2 division jump and playing every game took a bit of time to adjust.

That his goal versus Stoke and performance v Sunderland have pulled the wool over many fans in that for the vast majority of the season (first 2/3) he struggled. 

Funny how a young player making a 2 division jump and playing every game took a bit of time to adjust.

Not really. I would expect that.

Just highlighting that he is by no means as good as people have made out, yet. People have said he should be in the England squad. The goal and the game v Sunderland he showed he was good enough for England. At no other point in the season did he show that. 

I am confident he will improve though and I am not necessarily worried by the fact he was apparently shite last night. Just pointing out that on the basis of his form last season, Lowton should be by no means immune to bad games.

Â