Match Thread

KjParton

Just glad I didn't bother with the 250 mile round trip. Pre season games are really a lucky dip scenario.

Friday night in Crewe anyone ?

Crewe are absolutely gunna shit on us! 

Well at least Voinjama would enjoy that, I suppose.

Nine first team players out. Nine. 11 changes, at no point did we have our best team out.

You just can't judge these games by the norm.

Besides, Lowton was one of the worst players in the pitch. What does that tell you?

That his goal versus Stoke and performance v Sunderland have pulled the wool over many fans in that for the vast majority of the season (first 2/3) he struggled.

Funny how a young player making a 2 division jump and playing every game took a bit of time to adjust.

Not really. I would expect that.

Just highlighting that he is by no means as good as people have made out, yet. People have said he should be in the England squad. The goal and the game v Sunderland he showed he was good enough for England. At no other point in the season did he show that.

I am confident he will improve though and I am not necessarily worried by the fact he was apparently shite last night. Just pointing out that on the basis of his form last season, Lowton should be by no means immune to bad games.

Apparently shite?

So you didn't see the game last night?

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

No - It was all a response to you indicating that Lowton playing crap was a sign that pre season friendlies are meaningless.

Sorry, you said earlier he wasn't the worst so I assumed you'd seem the game. It wasn't a loaded question per-se.

No - It was all a response to you indicating that Lowton playing crap was a sign that pre season friendlies are meaningless.

Sorry, you said earlier he wasn't the worst so I assumed you'd seem the game. It wasn't a loaded question per-se.

Wasnt the worst when struggling to settle in prem last season.

Wasnt the worst when struggling to settle in prem last season.

Ah ok. No I agree, far from it. The bigger issue between August and February was the system. Lowton was fine, though I don't agree that aside from the Stoke goal and the Sunderland game he was average or whatever it is you'd like to label him. I had long admired him before the 6-1.

Besides which, those games happened so they're to be taken into account.

My point was, he was shit last night. He's never "shit".

It's pre season, "shit" happens.

I disagree, I can think of many times when he was shit. He was usually one of the better ones, but that doesnt mean he was good.

Edited by Woodytom

I disagree, I can think of many times when he was shit. He was usually one of the better ones, but that doesnt mean he was good.

How on earth did we hold top 8 form for nearly 4 months if our 2nd best player wasn't at least "good"?

How on earth did we hold top 8 form for nearly 4 months if our 2nd best player wasn't at least "good"?

Well first of all, he wasnt our 2nd best player - far from it. 5th I would say behind Benteke, guzan, Weimann and Gabby.

That said, I never said he was not good at times, I said there were games where he was shit (as you argued that he was never shit). What I was saying (with regards him not being good) is that the others were so poor, you could be one of the best players and dire yourself.

Well first of all, he wasnt our 2nd best player - far from it. 5th I would say behind Benteke, guzan, Weimann and Gabby.

That said, I never said he was not good at times, I said there were games where he was shit (as you argued that he was never shit). What I was saying (with regards him not being good) is that the others were so poor, you could be one of the best players and dire yourself.

So 4 good players and the rest were poor but Lowton was the pick of the bunch?

Not worth us debating it really because our opinions are so far apart we're never going to meet in the middle. 

So 4 good players and the rest were poor but Lowton was the pick of the bunch?

Not worth us debating it really because our opinions are so far apart we're never going to meet in the middle. 

Eh??

Why are you taking my opinion against the whole of the season. I am simply saying that I disagree with you point that Lowton is never shit.

You said "the others were so poor etc".

So five "good" players if we're including Lowton?

You're the one who makes these points, I'm merely questioning them.

In games!!

You said Lowton was never shit - as a way of arguing that shit happens in pre season!

I said i can think of games where he was shit! Now, in those games he may not have been the worst player by any stretch of the imagination (which may be leading you to think that he is never shit), but that is simply because the rest of the players were worse (in those games).

If you really believe Matthew Lowton was never poor during last season, then I really am sorry (because this site is all about opinion) but you are massively wrong.

Why are you taking my opinion against the whole of the season.

That his goal versus Stoke and performance v Sunderland have pulled the wool over many fans in that for the vast majority of the season (first 2/3) he struggled.

This quote would suggest thatyou thought Lowton wasn't very good for most of the season. So that's probably why.

I'm not surprised DDID is confused.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

Why are you taking my opinion against the whole of the season.

This quote would suggest thatyou thought Lowton wasn't very good for most of the season. So that's probably why.

I'm not surprised DDID is confused.

Cheers Steveo, but that was a different point. (or at least it was the start of a debate that kind of went off at a different angle) - So you have literally taken it way out of context.

The original point by Doug was that Lowton never has a bad game. I disagreed and sited the first 2/3 of the season - (pretty much as a chunk i suppose) where there were plenty of times where Lowton was bad.

What I then went onto say (and here is where I think the confusion began - (If I wasnt clear Doug, I apologise)) - is that 'in those games' - the rest of the players were so poor that Lowton was one of the better performers. This may lead people to think Lowton always plays good. When in actual fact, you can play shite and still be one of the better performers.

Quite why I felt the need to go into quite so much detail with it - I don't know - because my point is simply 'Lowton has bad games'. Which is pretty clear as day in my eyes. You only have to remember the Chelsea, Spurs and Wigan games to see that. In which all players, including lowton, were absolutely diabolical.

Â