Match Thread

KjParton

I know people are fond of saying it's only pre-season and all about fitness but at the same time it is a confidence game. This puts pressure on all aspects and positions within the team if we are constantly worried about conceding. We cannot seem to eradicate sloppy mistakes and individual errors!

• Like 1

Am I the only one who gets bothered by everyone who says dont worry its a friendly, results don't matter. 5 games, 4 draws, 1 loss and 0 clean sheets are terrible stats you can't ignore. Whether a premiership player or a Sunday football player you gain confidence from good performances an winning games, you need to get something from pre-season and a win and a clean sheet is much needed! Yes we have injuries and we are experimenting but Luton? As a premiership team we should be able to send our youth team to Luton and come back with a result. We need a winning mentality, and we shouldn't like to lose friendly or not, that is what is installed into every successful team, athlete! We have played poor teams so that we can purposely experiment and gain fitness whilst still coming away with results, but we fail with the later. What's everyone else think?

P.s I'm not a fickle fan, I've been a fan since the age of 6, go to most home games and love what lambert is doing, but to me results do matter regardless!

Man United have lost 2 of their 3 pre season games this season. They will probably still walk the league.

QPR were unbeaten in pre season last year. Still got relegated and didn't win a games for like 10 games.

Calm down. Our best players are injured right now. If our main first team lost, then i'd start to worry.

Only thing that bothers me is the defensive mistakes.

Edited by Daniel
  • Like 2

You lot are mental. I like to think I know a fair bit about the Villa, I recognised maybe three or four faces today.

Do you get this worked up over reserve games?

Think its more the combination of the 5 games. Coupled with the way the 'unrecognised players' (as you refer to them as) are spunked about on here.

Meaningless pre season or not, it's not exactly goin to plan is it

Key first team players are not getting match fitness and playing time together

I'm not overreacting but i am concerned that we are going to go into the toughest start we have had in a long long time a little bit worse for wear, both fitness and injury wise

You lot are mental. I like to think I know a fair bit about the Villa, I recognised maybe three or four faces today.

Think its more the combination of the 5 games. Coupled with the way the 'unrecognised players' (as you refer to them as) are spunked about on here.

Like who? Who is spunking over Webb and Burke etc? The two young lads I did recognise and really wanted a look at were worth the train fare for me.

Our first XI haven't kicked a ball yet. In fact, we've not had anything even close to resembling our first XI out there and we've 9 (NINE) injuries right now.

• Like 1

I couldnt care too much about the result it was literally the reserves out there. But i am getting anxious now in regards to all our best players being injured.

The match report from Kendrick doesnt mention that Benteke was injured either; but simply subbed at HT.

The plan was always to give Benteke 45?

Yes, the injuries are a worry. A big one.

Am I the only one who gets bothered by everyone who says dont worry its a friendly, results don't matter. 5 games, 4 draws, 1 loss and 0 clean sheets are terrible stats you can't ignore. Whether a premiership player or a Sunday football player you gain confidence from good performances an winning games, you need to get something from pre-season and a win and a clean sheet is much needed! Yes we have injuries and we are experimenting but Luton? As a premiership team we should be able to send our youth team to Luton and come back with a result. We need a winning mentality, and we shouldn't like to lose friendly or not, that is what is installed into every successful team, athlete! We have played poor teams so that we can purposely experiment and gain fitness whilst still coming away with results, but we fail with the later. What's everyone else think?

P.s I'm not a fickle fan, I've been a fan since the age of 6, go to most home games and love what lambert is doing, but to me results do matter regardless!

Man United have lost 2 of their 3 pre season games this season. They will probably still walk the league.

QPR were unbeaten in pre season last year. Still got relegated and didn't win a games for like 10 games.

Calm down. Our best players are injured right now. If our main first team lost, then i'd start to worry.

Yes we have players injured but this will also occur in season which we will then have to turn to a lot of the lads who has played the last few friendlies. I'm not pressing the panic button but I think there is a lot of villa fans going around forums and Facebook with too much of a result doesn't matter attitude. Lets not hide the fact that we've played 5 really poor teams and won 0 games. I'm a very positive thinking person but let's not hide the problems but rather address them.

I actually thought the defense looked worse - after the 60 minute switch [ie the players closer to the first 11] Luna dropped a clanger just before they scored, the Clark\Vlaar tangle which led to the goal - seem to recall another Clark error late on as well.

I don't remember a set of pre season results as bad as this.

All our pre-season games have consisted of mix and match sides composed of youth, new signings and last season's first teamers.  The emphasis has been on building up fitness, team bonding and understanding.  If you think anything that has happened so far bears any resemblance to the Premier League or how we will approach and perform in said competition you need to go outside and take in some fresh air.  

Lambert is not picking sides at the moment to win football matches - as he keeps stressing in post-match interviews.

• Like 1

All our pre-season games have consisted of mix and match sides composed of youth, new signings and last season's first teamers.  The emphasis has been on building up fitness, team bonding and understanding.  If you think anything that has happened so far bears any resemblance to the Premier League or how we will approach and perform in said competition you need to go outside and take in some fresh air.  

Lambert is not picking sides at the moment to win football matches - as he keeps stressing in post-match interviews.

I wouldn't mind betting the results will be similar TBH

Like who? Who is spunking over Webb and Burke etc? The two young lads I did recognise and really wanted a look at were worth the train fare for me.

Our first XI haven't kicked a ball yet. In fact, we've not had anything even close to resembling our first XI out there and we've 9 (NINE) injuries right now.

We need our first XI to win one game v Luton, Wycombe and lower league German sides??

The results have been very poor there is no two ways about it. If you want to spend your money going to watch Grealish and Carruthers look lively whilst we lose to lower league sides then fair dos. Its not going to convince me we are preparing well for the season.

Don't know what to make of tonight really. Yes Luton are going to be up for it and yes they're probably fitter than us, but to lose the way we did was slightly worrying.

I thought we looked more positive after the changes. Grealish looked lively and Westwood was quality. If we would have had a recognised striker fit I think we would have won it. Less said about their second goal the better. Rather it happen now than in a few weeks time.

Keep the faith!

Let's no forget Luton's season starts a few weeks before ours so they will be closer to full fitness. We have played players who haven't and probably will never again play together.

I'll openly admit I havent seen tonight's performance so don't know how well or poorly we played, but it'll be more judgement when the season starts.

Yes we have players injured but this will also occur in season which we will then have to turn to a lot of the lads who has played the last few friendlies. I'm not pressing the panic button but I think there is a lot of villa fans going around forums and Facebook with too much of a result doesn't matter attitude. Lets not hide the fact that we've played 5 really poor teams and won 0 games. I'm a very positive thinking person but let's not hide the problems but rather address them.

sorry but I felt I had to have my say on this.

I understand what your saying but at this point in time of our preseason we cant look to much into results due to a number of factors,

1) Paul Lambert has been chopping and changing the teams he hasn't stuck with the same CB pairing for two games in a row or the same midfield pack.

2) the number of new players hasn't help. these players need time to gel just like westwood and lowton and sylla needed time.

3) there are a lot of kids getting game time. some are still in the academy.  

4) injuries don't help, when you have one fit striker who hasn't played for the club since may.

• Like 1

Â