VillaGoMarching

1 hour ago, Loxstock92 said:

So this channel is pretty cool, conducting interviews whilst eating progressively hotter chicken wings. Mostly American guests/films stars, musicians etc. 

last place I would have expected to see Harry Kane! 

(also the host Sean Evans is one of the best interviewers out there imo, purely for the fact that the questions asked aren’t your standard guff, guests are often surprised by the detail in research that has been done on them)

Kane has been trying to make it in US for a while, has been on some late night shows before and has been telling people he wants to play NFL  when he retires

15 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

The south Korean following is obvious but why spurs are so successful in the states is a bit of a mystery to me, they're huge there and I think it's a big reason why they're somehow blagging this big 6 position they have

They have had a few Americans play for them like Freidel and Dempsey plus Klinsmann is big in the US too. All can think of

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

They have had a few Americans play for them like Freidel and Dempsey plus Klinsmann is big in the US too. All can think of

Yeah I thought about thr ex players but they don't seem enough to make spurs the 3rd or 4th biggest club over there

Maybe they've done some pre seasons tuff and a load of donkey work there, maybe their popularity there is actually exaggerated

Maybe the yanks jsut like supporting teams who never win anything

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Yeah I thought about thr ex players but they don't seem enough to make spurs the 3rd or 4th biggest club over there

Maybe they've done some pre seasons tuff and a load of donkey work there, maybe their popularity there is actually exaggerated

Maybe the yanks jsut like supporting teams who never win anything

This is it newer Premier League fans are sometimes anxious to not been seen as too much of a glory hunter so choose a team that's usually near the top but never actually wins 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Loxstock92 said:

So this channel is pretty cool, conducting interviews whilst eating progressively hotter chicken wings. Mostly American guests/films stars, musicians etc. 

last place I would have expected to see Harry Kane! 

(also the host Sean Evans is one of the best interviewers out there imo, purely for the fact that the questions asked aren’t your standard guff, guests are often surprised by the detail in research that has been done on them)

Yeah, I was impressed with the host as well. I've only seen the Kid Cudi one before. I'll give this one a watch tomorrow!

9 hours ago, villa4europe said:

The south Korean following is obvious but why spurs are so successful in the states is a bit of a mystery to me, they're huge there and I think it's a big reason why they're somehow blagging this big 6 position they have

I recall that when english football was taking off in America, this article was like the only real guide on the net for helping someone to choose an English side. I think they were just positioned in the right place in the table and geographically at the right time and did the right things about it. Its a shame because a few years earlier maybe that could have been Villa, and I think this article and others like it had quite an impact.

https://www.espn.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/060719_2

10 hours ago, Zatman said:

Kane has been trying to make it in US for a while, has been on some late night shows before and has been telling people he wants to play NFL  when he retires

That must endear him..."when I'm old and sh*t, I'll walk into your sport and smash it. Easy"

On 14/07/2023 at 07:15, Seal said:

I recall that when english football was taking off in America, this article was like the only real guide on the net for helping someone to choose an English side. I think they were just positioned in the right place in the table

I think it's the name. US sport has all those Broncos and Raiders and the like, while British teams - if they have a title at all - tend to be called things like Town, City, United, etc. 'Spurs' is about the only one that sounds dramatic/aggressive. 

52 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I think it's the name. US sport has all those Broncos and Raiders and the like, while British teams - if they have a title at all - tend to be called things like Town, City, United, etc. 'Spurs' is about the only one that sounds dramatic/aggressive. 

Doesn't seem to have helped Rugby League establish itself Stateside. 

Spurs might sound like it should be in a cowboys shoe, but who else can say they sound like a fancy house in Spain.

Know which I'd rather have. 

Did cross my mind that there could be a Jewish connection in areas such as new york

Googled it and read up a bit, sounds like a mixture of a lot of things including the name and the idea of supporting a good club without glory hunting but also sounds like Levy has put the leg work in, spends a lot of time there and they've had some successful tours there

But then perhaps most importantly when NBC bought the PL rights and gave it a huge push in the states the face of it was Gareth Bale... Really was just that kind of luck

Â