Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

The fact that I spent all morning slow roasting a chicken, made my own yorkies, fabulous roasties, home made stuffing, really put a lot into a big family dinner.......a good few hours work......

.....and they basically demolished it.

Did anyone notice the hint of garlic? Did anyone guess the rosemary was from the garden? Did anyone know the onion was the last of last year's crop?

Nah, they'd have to chew to notice that stuff. Should've done a giant tray of oven chips and spent the morning abusing myself (there's always next week).

Sky commentators talking as if Wolves had a chance of staying up if they beat Man City today.

"Wolves are in trouble now. If it stays like this they will be relegated. They'll have to go all out attack"

A derby is a game which generates special interest. You dont have to be local to the opposition for the game to be considered a derby.

I never knew that. I always thought derby meant a game between two teams geographically near eachother. So I guess the recent AC Milan v Barcelona game was a derby then.

Yeah, derby is just used as a different term to grudge match I suppose, two teams who have a history and a rivalry. Local derby is the term used for two teams with a history and a rivalry but primarily because they're so close geographically to each other. It depends though really. I would say most England football fans would consider Germany to be our main rival, but I think I learned a few years ago that the Germans don't consider us rivals at all, I think they consider the Dutch their rivals, although I could be wrong.

Yep, the germans don't give a shit about us. It's Holland who they care about (you can't blame them)

The England - Germany rivalry is less of a thing now than it was in the 60s, 70s & 80s. It was born out of the war really, Germany pissed us off so we hated them but it was a generational thing which has almost passed as of now. Of course, Germany pissed off pretty much everybody in the world so our hatred was just a drop in the ocean. The most densely populated part of Germany shares a border with The Netherlands, and of course the Nazis invaded and occupied Holland for five years and killed a lot of Dutch people in the process. Understandably those scars will take a lot longer than ours to heal.

They did, but as an overall number and as a percentage of the population it's nothing like on the scale of what they did to the Dutch. They occupied the country too, which must have made life really shitty (just look at the life story of Anne Frank) and there are probably plenty of people in The Netherlands now who can still remember that.

There's also the more relevant (in football terms) fact that Germany and Netherlands are next door neighbours and both powerhouses in world football (no offence). Both of those things on their own will engender a rivalry but put together it makes it doubly spicy.

It pisses me when someone dislikes/hates another group for what that groups ancestors did. If you were born in say 1976, you had absolutely nothing to do with the war. And neither did your parents. It makes no sense to me. I read a book on the Netherlands Germany football rivalry and it was extremely intense especially in the 1980s and it kind of exploded during that game in 1990. The one with the llama incident, I am sure you now what I am on about. Fights between the players after the game also. And they are playing eachother in 6 weeks in the Euro. I can not wait.

I've always thought of the England-Germany football rivalry as a reflection of their battle for European supremacy (both being Europe's two largest economies and pre-eminent military powers at the time of the war), rather than a manifestation of deep-seated resentment over German war crimes.

Â