Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

My daughter is called Amy, the wife liked amelia but said she would call her Amy for short, she was premature and my wife was still out for the count and I didn't want her to have no name on the first night of her life so I picked it which shes still pissed about 

Doesn't piss me off or anything but I don't really get calling your kid one thing but then knowing from birth you will shorten it or call them something else, she liked maddie for baby number 2 which I said is OK but I'm not calling her maddison or madeline and then shortening it, she's either maddie or she's not 

But the 2nd is looking like a boy, the wife wants Noah and I really dont 

12 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

We had some success using this, it's basically Tinder for baby names https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=global.kinder&hl=en_GB&gl=US

We got a few matches, talked them through, and had one picked in hours :D 

56 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

My daughter is called Amy, the wife liked amelia but said she would call her Amy for short, she was premature and my wife was still out for the count and I didn't want her to have no name on the first night of her life so I picked it which shes still pissed about 

Doesn't piss me off or anything but I don't really get calling your kid one thing but then knowing from birth you will shorten it or call them something else, she liked maddie for baby number 2 which I said is OK but I'm not calling her maddison or madeline and then shortening it, she's either maddie or she's not 

My son had no name for a week 😂

2 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

My grandson has a few Jackson's in his school and a Jaxson in his class. Parents who name their child Jaxson should be reported. 

My cousin has a kid called Jaxson! 

But when we were kids we did call my cousin jax as a nickname so the Jax's son bit does make at least a bit of sense 

8 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Madeline / Maddie is one of those names associated with tragedy (in my mind still at least).

I always hated my birth name, I’m pretty lucky in that I had a pretty logical reason to change it although I probably still would have done even if I hadn’t turned out to be trans. For me at least a weird name is better than going boring a biblical.

Thinking about it, it’s a bit of a weird feeling knowing you aren’t ever going to pick a name for a kid but having chosen your own 😅

Edited by Eidolon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Ah, was it you who settled on "Boy" then? 

What actually forced us to settle on a name was that we were worried that "Bubba" was going to stick because that's all we were calling him

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

My cousin has a kid called Jaxson! 

But when we were kids we did call my cousin jax as a nickname so the Jax's son bit does make at least a bit of sense 

Ours was nearly Jackson. I wouldn't spell it with an X though

• Like 1

Our shortlist, if anyone cares, was: Jack, Jackson, Harrison, Theo, Leo and Archie.

She wanted Harrison or Archie (Edit: my Mom pointed out that Prince Harry's kid is called Archie Harrison! We genuinely had no idea, just in case someone thinks we're massive royalists)
I wanted Leo. We both liked Jack so Jack it is.

Ultimately I wanted a name that was a bit different, but not different enough to be weird. Not sure I achieved that with Jack but it just fits him :) 

I think Girls names are a lot easier. My choice would have been (and still will be if I ever have one) Lyra, after the character from His Dark Materials.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

What actually forced us to settle on a name was that we were worried that "Bubba" was going to stick because that's all we were calling him

tenor.gif

• Like 1

Just now, Stevo985 said:

I was afraid of that

It happens to us all.

FWIW my sons name was decided very early, was all set to be named George Arthur until a week before the birth, when someone said you cant call him that your surname starts with Y.

Quick rethink was needed

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

You’ll be cutting your back lawn and then standing for 5 minutes in admiration next. Maybe even taking a photo.

I live in a flat so no danger of that.

Unless "back lawn" is code for back hair, in which case I've been doing that for years ;) 

• Haha 2

Â