Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

I think the theory that it's a reference to bete noire possibly has something in it.
What theory is that, then?

Having seen what it's all about, the only plausible reference is to film noir.

The other theory I saw was that a city is often referred to as feminine, just like a vehicle might be, so they can use the feminine "noire" rather than the masculine "noir".

Where that falls down is that "Los" (as in "Los Angeles") is masculine and "Las" (ie "Las Vegas") would be the feminine.

I think the theory that it's a reference to bete noire possibly has something in it.
What theory is that, then?

Having seen what it's all about, the only plausible reference is to film noir.

Well, it's painfully obviously the entire game is a reference (and homage) to film noir, but I suspect the over arching storyline that the game has may allow them a chance to pun the word 'noire' (in the 'bete noire' sense) in there as well, which they've taken.

I can't say that for certain but it's been mooted.

The other theory I saw was that a city is often referred to as feminine, just like a vehicle might be, so they can use the feminine "noire" rather than the masculine "noir".

Where that falls down is that "Los" (as in "Los Angeles") is masculine and "Las" (ie "Las Vegas") would be the feminine.

Indeed. The French version would be "Les Anges" - and "l'ange" is masculine.

Indeed. The French version would be "Les Anges" - and "l'ange" is masculine.

Originally it was El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora la Reina de los Angeles del Rio de Porciuncula. Whilst that is masculine, "El Pueblo" is just "The City" (which in French would of course be "La Ville") so an argument could be made that the name of the city in Spanish is Nuestra Senora la Reina de los Angeles del Rio Porciuncula (Our Lady, the Queen of the Angels, on the Porciuncula River), which is also feminine (as is the French: Notre Dame la Reine des Anges de la Riviere Porciuncula (or Porciuncule?)). In either of the true Spanish formulations of Los Angeles, it would be feminine in French (as indeed would "La Ville des Anges").

Whether the city (and county) of Los Angeles still persists with that name, I don't know (though there still is The State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations, despite occasional efforts to drop the Providence Plantations bit).

Whether words are masculine or feminine.

'I don't care if a pie is masculine or feminine, I wanna eat it, not **** it'

Germany is a land of mixed-up gender... in most gendered languages, the sun is masculine, the moon feminine. German reverses this (der Mond, die Sonne) and then, perhaps even more crazily, has the words for girl and woman be neuter (das Madchen, das Weib (though it doesn't have the most complementary connotation...) ).

"In German a young lady has no sex while a turnip has. Think what overwrought reverence that shows for the turnip and what callous disrespect for the girl." -- Mark Twain (A Tramp Abroad)

James Nesbitt: "Man Utd Man Utd Man Utd Man Utd Man Utd Man Utd Man Utd Man Utd Man Utd Man Utd Man Utd Man Utd Man Utd Man Utd Man Utd Man Utd Man Utd Man Utd"

Eamonn Holmes: "Man Utd Man Utd Man Utd Man Utd Man Utd Man Utd Man Utd Man Utd Man Utd Man Utd Man Utd Man Utd Man Utd Man Utd Man Utd Man Utd Man Utd Man Utd "

Eamonn Holmes and James Nesbitt are both Ulstermen who live in London. Why wouldn't they support Manchester United?

Â