Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

Took my car into vauxhall this morning because the Bluetooth had stopped working. Long story short, the guy at reception asked if I'd be willing to pay for diagnostics if they couldn't find the fault. Had a small debate about why I'd have to pay for diagnostics if it came under the warranty but told him to give me a ring if they couldn't find the problem and we'd go from there because it wasn't the end of the world if I didn't have it.

Anyway, about an hour later I got a phone call from the same guy sounding very smug. 'Alright, got my technician to sync his phone to your car, worked first time so it must be you. Come in and I'll get him to take you through it step by step. Are you sure you know how to work Bluetooth?'

Admittedly I'm the typical woman not having a clue, but I was certain it wasn't working because I'd tried a couple of phones and none worked. So I turned up and the guy asked if I wanted to pay by card. Asked what exactly he wanted me to pay for as he'd said his technician had only synced his phone and it had worked. He reckoned it was for the labour cost which through a quick calculation I reckoned was around a quid worth. At this point I started getting pretty annoyed, and asked for the technician to show me what they'd done. Really nice guy, went to my car and showed me that he had synced his phone. Feeling a bit like an idiot I asked him to sync mine to the car. Anyway, 10 minutes later he is still fiddling about with settings and admitted that there is a problem with the system and syncing with iPhones. Finally took it back and restored it, somehow sorted the problem that I'd told them was there to begin with.

Went back in to see the guy and explained that there was an issue which his technician had thankfully sorted, and I wouldn't be paying as it came under warrantee. He slid my keys over the desk and as I drove off I gave him a big smile and thumbs up.

Suppose that end part belongs to the things that cheer you up thread, but he was definitely trying to just rip me off.

• Like 1

I had a Vauxhall once, never EVER again. This is from a person who has had several Renaults in my time (Dad used to work for then so have a bit of a soft spot) and never had any issues to speak of.

Had a Vauxhall and had nothing but trouble with it and their dealers. Had the AA out 3 times in a year. No thanks.

Edited by Genie

The boss gave me a bank draft to get a bike from halfords (bike to work(ish)), ....got the ....sorry sir we don`t take these but we do take cash voucher or cheque .....I always had a bank draft down as been as good as cash wheerrrttt the ferk like 

13 minutes ago, Meath_Villan said:

The boss gave me a bank draft to get a bike from halfords (bike to work(ish)), ....got the ....sorry sir we don`t take these but we do take cash voucher or cheque .....I always had a bank draft down as been as good as cash wheerrrttt the ferk like 

A banker's draft (aka cashier's cheque) is a cheque drawn against the funds of the institute which issued it. It should always be accepted in lieu of a personal cheque.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, limpid said:

A banker's draft (aka cashier's cheque) is a cheque drawn against the funds of the institute which issued it. It should always be accepted in lieu of a personal cheque.

I have emailed halfords hq on the matter .....to show my disgust im thinking a free set of lights may be applicable :D 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Halfords have the facility to accept cheques but a requirement of their system is a guarantee card must be swiped. 

but a bank draft is basically cash ...no guarantee card would be needed im just at a loss why they wouldnt take it 

Just now, Meath_Villan said:

but a bank draft is basically cash ...no guarantee card would be needed im just at a loss why they wouldnt take it 

It would have to go through as a cheque and banked as a cheque. Not sticking up for them just explaining my intimate knowledge of their system. 

7 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

It would have to go through as a cheque and banked as a cheque. Not sticking up for them just explaining my intimate knowledge of their system. 

They pay to clear cheques which don't need to be cleared? Wow. I suppose it's a rare enough occurrence that they don't notice them getting stolen.

BBC News headline reads 'Fatherhood made me emotional  - William'

WOW

IN OTHER NEWS

'WATER QUENCHES MY THIRST - QUEEN'

'SCRATCHING RELIEVES MY ITCHES - KATE'

Seems legit, who else knew lizards could feel emotion or got thirsty

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Meath_Villan said:

Current situation is halfords say they are unable to process a bank draft ....but yet they can a cheque :blink:

TBF they aren't legal tender so no-one is obliged to accept them. It does seem odd though.

The concept of legal tender doesn't apply anyway, does it? He's making a purchase, not settling a debt, they can decline any form of payment that they like (just as lots of shops don't accept £50s).

Edited by Davkaus

28 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

The concept of legal tender doesn't apply anyway, does it? He's making a purchase, not settling a debt, they can decline any form of payment that they like (just as lots of shops don't accept £50s).

Yes it does. Also no it doesn't :)

The consideration in a contract is a debt. However vendors offer their goods as an "invitation to treat". If they won't enter a contract where the consideration will be in the form of certain tender then the contract is never formed.

Shops are required to accept legal tender to settle a contract, that doesn't mean they are forced to enter a contract.

Hurts your head doesn't it?

Â