Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

Do they actually do that fine thing though?

In my experience if you inform the school in advance they are ok with it. If you tell them its the only chance of a holiday or the only chance to see auntie doreen or anything, but just let them know then it is ok. Similarly, if it's last minute and a few days, it's a sick note. Perhaps it's different in different parts of the country, but I don't know anyone anywhere that's ever received a fine.

Incidentally just for info, mine haven't missed a single day all year and are picking up a cash prize (well, vouchers) for managing that! 

So we've achieved the opposite of a fine, we've had money for turning up.

• Like 1

Schools fining parents for taking them on holidays during term time as it 'disrupts their education'.

This week at my sons school it was closed on Monday for teacher training even though their 7 week paid holiday starting in 2 weeks... and today they are on strike so closed again.

Putting education first... not.

Training is part of the (any) job, no? Teacher training is also very important to the teaching process, and to neglect it would not benefit your child's education in the long run.

Are people in 'normal' jobs expected to do training in their holidays?

Also, this fine thing is a load of shite too. There are ways around it, as the Crisp man has said. Also, it's a directive from The Govt/Gove, not some things 'nasty teachers' have decided to impose on parents. Teachers, generally, are not your enemy ...

Criticising schools ‘vital’ to shit parenting

10-07-14

CONSTANTLY criticising your child’s school is a vital part of being a shit parent, it has been claimed.

examkid250.jpg

Whatever they’re doing, it’s bad

Useless parents believe the best way to help their offspring is by reacting hysterically to anything the school does and regularly threatening to kick teachers’ heads in.

Mother-of-two Emma Bradford said: “I found out the teachers at my son Callum’s primary school had been making the children race each other for their own sick amusement.

“They dressed the kiddies up in little shorts and made it hard for them to run by making them carry an egg on a spoon. As well as the risk of paedophiles, the eggs are full of cholesterol.

“Naturally the first thing I did was call the local paper. The little mite was so traumatised he’s not been able to do anything except steal bikes all week.

“I went round to see the headmaster but he’s still off work after I punched him for confiscating Callum’s phone, just because his friends wanted to hear all the ringtones during a lesson.”

Shit parents expressed further concerns including pupils being forced to do unpaid work and putting on weight due to being made to sit down.

Parent Tom Logan said: “The teachers keep telling my kids all these terrifying stories about witches, transvestite wolves and this ravenous caterpillar that absolutely will not stop, like the **** Terminator or something.

“It’s no wonder they can’t get to sleep after staying up till 3am drinking Coke and playing Need for Speed.”

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/criticising-schools-vital-to-shit-parenting-2014071088471

• Like 2

Are people in normal jobs getting 12-13 weeks paid holiday per year?

It isn't a pop at teachers or calling them lazy as seems to have been alluded to above, I also have no idea why you posted the other hilarious story. 

I find it a bit hypocritical that apparently taking time off during term is so damaging to children's education... unless it is at the request of the school for training (right before the longest holiday of the year) or to strike (same week as training day).

I find it a bit hypocritical that apparently taking time off during term is so damaging to children's education...

Who is saying it is?

Is it teachers? Or is it Gove/The Govt?

Ah OK. Thought your ire was directed at teachers. Apols.

Teachers strike for the same kind of reasons that you're pissed off. Stupid regulations imposed by Gove (and other governments). This includes the fining parents thing.

No way missing a week of school would set you back at all.

If parents or teachers are that worried just get some extra homework or reading materials they can follow before returning to school, can't see what the issue is personally.

it depends what week it is though, doesn't it

Right now the majority of schools are through the exams and putting on sports day or the annual show or presentation evening - now is not an intense teaching period. If people took their kid away on holiday today for a week because it saved £800 and made the difference between having that holiday or not, best of luck to 'em.

If you drop your kid out of school for the fortnight leading up to their GCSE's well best of luck to you all - you're stoopid.

Are people in normal jobs getting 12-13 weeks paid holiday per year?

It isn't a pop at teachers or calling them lazy as seems to have been alluded to above, I also have no idea why you posted the other hilarious story. 

I find it a bit hypocritical that apparently taking time off during term is so damaging to children's education... unless it is at the request of the school for training (right before the longest holiday of the year) or to strike (same week as training day).

Me Me Me.....well actually thats not strictly true. I get 17  :P  :P  :P  ;)  ;)  ;)

Related to this, the whole of term time pisses me off because I barely get to spend any time with my teacher fiancée due to her spending most evenings working until 9pm until she passes out. That's after arriving in work at quarter to seven. Either that or she is in tears because no matter how much she does there is always more asked of her. It pisses me off that her dedication and commitment is sneered at by ignorant people who have no idea of how exhausting the job is. She is already pushed to breaking point, but yeah, maybe we should take away the holidays too, really get our money's worth out of the lazy teachers.

I don't think there is anyone on VT that genuinely thinks like that.

There are a number of people on VT that will bait teachers and student teachers because they clearly have some sort of problem with it, a sensitivity to it. Teaching is an excellent and worthy profession and if my kids go on to become teachers I'll be proud.

But its also a 'profession' and therefore is difficult to become established and expert, just as it should be. Remember, if you stay as a teacher and you're competent, you'll end up earning £50k a year by the end with a really good pension. Make career progress and become a head, there's every chance you could be bringing in a six figure salary.

So yes, it's tough. Those early years are a monster to get through. But being a teacher is voluntary and eventually the salary and pension is significant.

and the very very best of luck to her, without student teachers we're all doomed

Related to this, the whole of term time pisses me off because I barely get to spend any time with my teacher fiancée due to her spending most evenings working until 9pm until she passes out. That's after arriving in work at quarter to seven. Either that or she is in tears because no matter how much she does there is always more asked of her. It pisses me off that her dedication and commitment is sneered at by ignorant people who have no idea of how exhausting the job is. She is already pushed to breaking point, but yeah, maybe we should take away the holidays too, really get our money's worth out of the lazy teachers.

There are a number of people on VT that will bait teachers and student teachers because they clearly have some sort of problem with it, a sensitivity to it. Teaching is an excellent and worthy profession and if my kids go on to become teachers I'll be proud.

But its also a 'profession' and therefore is difficult to become established and expert, just as it should be. Remember, if you stay as a teacher and you're competent, you'll end up earning £50k a year by the end with a really good pension. Make career progress and become a head, there's every chance you could be bringing in a six figure salary.

So yes, it's tough. Those early years are a monster to get through. But being a teacher is voluntary and eventually the salary and pension is significant.

and the very very best of luck to her, without student teachers we're all doomed

We have people on here who make fun of and bait teachers ... Shame on them ... teachers are as vital to our society as everyone else on 30 weeks paid holiday a year

I certainly don't begrudge teachers their time off.

I can see where the frustration comes from but at the end of the day its a bloody important job and certainly not one that anybody could do. I know I couldn't do it so good luck to them I say.

We have people on here who make fun of and bait teachers ... Shame on them ... teachers are as vital to our society as everyone else on 30 weeks paid holiday a year

:P

Late to the party, Jeremy

Â