Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

Is Apeldoom actually in Holland? It's in Gelderland isn't it, so the Netherlands, not Holland.

Hold on... Netherlands and Holland are two different countries / places?? I always thought it was the same place

Shocking ignorance for one so clued up on foreign matters. :P

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

My A-level results were C-D-D

It didn't matter as I'd passed the Aberystwyth scholarship exam about 2 months into the whole A-level process. 

I spent an hour comparing British weaponry to German and somehow I got in. Took the pressure of the whole results day thing for me.  

Is Apeldoom actually in Holland? It's in Gelderland isn't it, so the Netherlands, not Holland.

Hold on... Netherlands and Holland are two different countries / places?? I always thought it was the same place

Ignore limpid, he's being facetious ;)

Edited by villaajax

Foreigners (i.e. non-Dutchies) of shall we say the pedantic persuasion have more of a problem with the 'mis-use' of the word Holland than Dutch people do from my experience. Most if not all of the Dutch people I've met say Holland when they mean Netherlands.

• Like 1

Most Americans says 'Brits' when they mean English people.  Scottish people apparently aren't 'Brits'.

I'd say it's probably more a case that the ones who don't regard themselves as Brits are just uncomfortable with the fact that they are Brits :)

i usually call it little Germany ;)

And Austrians are 'Mountain Germans' :)

Most Turks have no knowledge of Wales, Scotland, and Northern Island.

They call the whole place Ingiliterre. When I say I went to uni in Wales they sometimes say: 'I wish I could go to uni in a foreign country'

Alan McGregor corrected some douche on Turkish TV when playing for Besiktas, saying he was from Scotland not England. They didn't have a scooby what he was on about.

Although, I do live in a country where ignorance of facts is an art form.

Edited by AVFC_Hitz

When I say I went to uni in Wales they sometimes say: 'I wish I could go to uni in a foreign country'

What's wrong with their response in that situation?

When I say I went to uni in Wales they sometimes say: 'I wish I could go to uni in a foreign country'

What's wrong with their response in that situation?

Because..I'll tell you why..because...you know!

• Like 1

But Netherlands football fans do chant "Hup Holland".

They also chant "I want my bike back" at Holland v Germany games. Apparently in 1945 every bicycle in Holland The Netherlands was nicked by Germans fleeing the Allied advance.

Very funny, although possibly a bit cruel and stuck-in-the-past, but when has that ever bothered football fans on a windup, eh?

Well if Katie Melua has taught us anything about history (and I'm fairly sure she has!) it's that we should probably be looking more closely at China.

• Like 1

Â