Transfer thread: Rumours, Speculation & Suggestions

limpid

we need that alternative/option IMO, and i really like Eidur. Not sure if he'd be happy as a back-up striker though ....

Therin lies the problem. He probably wouldn't be backup, he'd probably work his way ahead of Big John IMO. But where does that leave the big man? Neither of them will want to be second choice.

I'd much rather we concentrate on improving other weaker areas of the side. Such as right back.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We were after SWP but not Defoe. As far as I know that was the only target we didnt get for reasons that were later made known.

It could be that we go back for SWP. I suppose it depends on whether Chelsea see him as having a future with him. I see no reason why MON would have changed his mind in 6 months unless he has a better target in mind.

Young can play on the left, SWP on the right with Maloney, Berger, Barry and Steiber for cover. Works for me.

I think perhaps Young replaced SWP in MON's mind, thus we're not interested now?

And he was never interested in Defoe, perhaps??

Jez, I seem to remember a quote from MON stating in no uncertain terms that he was after SWP AND Young, The story came around the same time as the Baros to Chelsea story. SWP was happy to come on loan but MON wanted him permanantly.

Maybe he will revisit it, but he definately wanted both, if anyone could find a link to back it up, it would be appreciated!

And he was never interested in Defoe, perhaps??

To be honest, neither of you can prove Martin O'Neills interest in Defoe either way. So you're just going to have to agree to disagree.

FWIW I'd be suprised if he wasn't interested in some capacity. Young(ish), English, looking for a fresh challenge etc etc.......

Jez, I seem to remember a quote from MON stating in no uncertain terms that he was after SWP AND Young, The story came around the same time as the Baros to Chelsea story. SWP was happy to come on loan but MON wanted him permanantly.

Maybe he will revisit it, but he definately wanted both, if anyone could find a link to back it up, it would be appreciated!

At the press conference. Not sure which part......

We were after SWP but not Defoe. As far as I know that was the only target we didnt get for reasons that were later made known.

It could be that we go back for SWP. I suppose it depends on whether Chelsea see him as having a future with him. I see no reason why MON would have changed his mind in 6 months unless he has a better target in mind.

Young can play on the left, SWP on the right with Maloney, Berger, Barry and Steiber for cover. Works for me.

I think perhaps Young replaced SWP in MON's mind, thus we're not interested now?

As Young is going to be a far superior player to SWP, I would hope that Young was our first choice in MON's mind.

Yeah but DDID, no confirmed links, no bids... and he got Carew.... Plus the facts of Gabby and Moore with the same attributes, says alot to me!!

Two completely different players though Nick. And he got Carew some 5 months later. I see your point though, there wasn't enough 'smoke'. I think if we'd made a bid we would have known about it. But that doesn't mean we didn't sound him out.

Anyway, like I say we'll probably never know.......

Wooooo there!

I wasn't saying that MON was not interested i was suggesting that perhaps he now see's Young for that position and was asking what people thought, hence the question mark. I wasn't saying MON was lying because i didn't remember that press conference!

Blumin ek if i released it would mean people going off on one i wouldn't have bothered! :o

I imagine that MON probably sees Young as his first choice right sided midfielder whereas perhaps before he saw him in a more advanced position. I would rather us sign a left sided midfielder now given how well Barry played in the middle in the last few games of the season.

Wooooo there!

I wasn't saying that MON was not interested i was suggesting that perhaps he now see's Young for that position and was asking what people thought, hence the question mark. I wasn't saying MON was lying because i didn't remember that press conference!

Blumin ek if i released it would mean people going off on one i wouldn't have bothered! :o

Errrr, nobody has gone off on one. Nobody said you were calling O'Neill a lyer. Infact, I suggested the possibility myself. He had Ashley Young sat next to him, the last thing he was going to do was to say the lad was second choice.

Take a chill pill. We're not all out to get you......

I honestly think Young is better than SWP. He has better skill, a better cross, a better shot etc

but most importantly, he has a better attitude. SWP moved to an plays for chelsea because of the money. Young moved to and plays for us because he loves football and he can see we're going forward and he wants to help.

Young is also much younger than SWP. I also think he is more loyal because he was immensly respectful towards Boothroid and Watford when he left

We actually bid for Doyle in January which was rejected by Reading.

Defoe I get the impression is someone MON rates and someone who's realistically gettable, we apparently tried to get him last year in the August transfer window but he wanted to see.

However, after a season of bench warming, I'd be amazed if he's still with Spurs next season especially if they sign Bent.

At 7-8m, we could do worse.

...Super... cue the next 20 pages of 'The J Defoe Thread... listen guys... just look back over the last 700 pages.. im sure it's all been spoke about before...

I've said it once and il say it again.. but anyone would think the way half the people bum him up that he was only only striker in the world gettable. :yawn:

We actually bid for Doyle in January which was rejected by Reading.

We did?

Our interest in Doyle I seem to remember was far more 'confirmed' than any interest in Defoe or Bent.

I don't think any of the sources are more credible than the others but on a related issue, I do not rate Doyle at all and would not be excited by his signing.

Here it is -

Aston Villa look set to renew their interest in Chelsea winger Shaun Wright-Phillips in the summer, despite missing out this January.

Villans boss Martin O'Neill has confirmed the club made a move for the former Manchester City attacker, but that the player had only been willing to make a temporary move to Villa Park as he looks to fight for his future at Stamford Bridge.

O'Neill has since signed winger Ashley Young from Watford, but despite the addition O'Neill has suggested he will make another move for the fringe Blues man when the transfer window reopens at the end of the season.

"We did make a bid for Wright-Phillips - but I must stress this was in addition to anything we were trying to sort out with Ashley Young," O'Neill explained.

"It wasn't a case of Wright-Phillips instead of Young. Absolutely not.

"In terms of a permanent move, Wright-Phillips wanted more time to think about it and I can understand that. However, the loan was something he was interested in and, you never know we might revisit it during the summer."

It's back to league action next for Villa though, with Young set to make his debut in the club's visit to take on Newcastle United on Wednesday.

SWP