limpid

Jermain Defoe ....:

02-03 West Ham 8 Goals, 38 Games

03-04 Tottenham 7 Goals, 15 Games

03-04(jan) West Ham 11 Goals, 19 Games

04-05 Tottenham 13 Goals, 35 Games

05-06 Tottenham 9 Goals, 36 Games

06-07 Tottenham 8 Goals, 31 Games

... I know pretty well who I would want...

The statistics you quote are highly misleading.

For a start they take no account of minutes on the pitch, and secondly they take no account of cup goals. For example, for 04-05 you say '13 goals', when actually Defoe scored 22 goals in all competitions (top scorer).

PS. The 06-07 tally now reads 9 goals (and 17 in all competitions): add on the extra one for another 10 minutes played tonight :winkold:

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Either Defoe or Darren Bnet please.

Defoe is overrated but does score goals and I think MON likes him. Only problem is he dosen't seem the sort to me who'd want to leave London unless Manure came in for him.

We'll have to wait and see.

If Bent does leave Charlton though and doesn't go to a top four side, I'm not sure Spurs will be able to offer the guy or Charlton the same financial package as us.

Yeah, for sure, they're rich, but they've gotta first sell Defoe, and this could prove to be more of a stumbling block than they can imagine.

Yes, Spurs can offer the UEFA, but everything at Villa is so exciting right now and will continue to be, I can see alot of players falling for us this summer.

The only thing Spurs can offer is London to be honest. Not trying to hate on your team GlastonSpur, but I genuinely believe he'd choose Aston Villa over Spurs.

But, I still believe a Man Utd will be in for him anyway, so we can all carry on dreaming!

Living in London is not a big consideration for any motivated footballer. Far bigger are money, a good manger, an ambitious club and a good current standing. We can offer almost all of that.

And if you can top that off with the finest training facilities in all of world football then that also helps :D

I don't think we're going to struggle to attract players this summer.

May I ask a few questions to the Spurs fan?!

Jermaine Defoe - would you be sad or happy to see him go?

Are you a season ticket holder?

If you had to choose one over the over - Defoe or Bent? - Forget Defoe can't play with Keane or Berbatov and Bent can (even though we're guessing), who would you choose OUTRIGHT?!

Is Sidwell a dead cert for Newcastle? because with Roeder gone he might consider playing for a better team

according to some reports over the weekend he has already signed a pre contract with us

i don't know what truth their is in that, but i'm pretty confident over us signing him, usually i'm pretty pessimistic when we are challenging with other teams for a player, but i'm confident over this one

Is Sidwell a dead cert for Newcastle? because with Roeder gone he might consider playing for a better team

:winkold:

The stupid rumours section in the Star or the Sun have got him down as moving to Chelski on a 50k a week contract!

hmmmmm........!

according to some reports over the weekend he has already signed a pre contract with us

i don't know what truth their is in that, but i'm pretty confident over us signing him, usually i'm pretty pessimistic when we are challenging with other teams for a player, but i'm confident over this one

Which reports were these?

Do we need him? :?

SIDWELL TO BE THE NEW FRANK LAMPARD...OR THE NEW SCOTT PARKER

'Jose Mourinho has hijacked Newcastle's bid to sign Reading midfielder Steve Sidwell,' says The Sun.

'And the Chelsea boss is convinced he has got his man by offering him £50,000 a week.'

A deal with Newcastle has been widely touted as Sidwell's preferred option, while reports that he has already signed a deal with Aston Villa were floating around over the weekend.

'Chelsea have stepped in and topped the Toon's £40,000-a-week offer,' continues The Sun, leaving the Gossip Column shaking its head, should this be true, at the willingness of footballers to sit on the bench all year for a bit of extra cash.

Mind you, the rag also claims that Sidwell's recruitment is to cover for a departing Frank Lampard.

'The move for playmaker Sidwell also reopens the uncertainty around midfield ace Frank Lampard's future at Stamford Bridge.

'Lampard, 28, has still not signed a new contract at Chelsea with Spanish giants Barcelona keen on the England star.'

this was on the transfer gossip on football 365's site

i'd be happy if we signed him, hes a good player, who would definalty improve the squad

If you had to choose one over the over - Defoe or Bent? - Forget Defoe can't play with Keane or Berbatov and Bent can (even though we're guessing), who would you choose OUTRIGHT?!

I'd be very sad to see Jermaine go and very worried about the boost he'd give to a rival team. The man is class. The thing with him is he doesn't bottle it - he may often miss quite a few chances, but he self-creates loads of them and always has a crack when other strikers would look for an easier option for fear of failure.

No, I'm not a season ticket holder ... live too far away for that and have family commitments.

If Defoe could play as well with Keane as he can with Berbatov, then I'd stick with him in preference to Bent. Tough choice, but Defoe gets the nod for me.

However, crazy as it may seem (and probably is), I haven't entirely given up hope that we may sell only Mido, sign Bent and keep both Defoe and Keane along with Berbatov. Jol has recently spoken of wanting to keep Defoe, but we also know he wants Bent ... could both things happen? Very unlikely, but you never know ....

Berbatov, Keane, Defoe and Bent all at one club: the most feared strike quartet in the Prem. I can always dream ....

Now then.. lets go back in time a little bit here.. there was rumours gallore about us signing (at the time) watfords ashley young... now on the day villa faced watford, did they not drop him and said thats pretty much goodbye from him... for him to sign for villa about 2 days later.

Now lets move forwards to 2 weeks ago when reading hosted newcastle.. same situation with sidwell rumoured to be off, and subsequently he is dropped.

coppells explantion being he won't be playing for the team again this season pretty much but wouldnt answer if the player had already found another club to join as it were.

So he has definatly found a new club.. just what 1 is it.. its either us or newcastle.. and i think it actually is us, for the simple fact that the most rumours surrouding him are more in villas favour than newcastles.. besides with Fat Sam now going to St James it seems, who knows that he would even want sidwell anyway!

id put my money on him already being our player tbh!!

Your thoughts everyone?

I'd be very sad to see Jermaine go and very worried about the boost he'd give to a rival team. The man is class. The thing with him is he doesn't bottle it - he may often miss quite a few chances, but he self-creates loads of them and always has a crack when other strikers would look for an easier option for fear of failure.

No, I'm not a season ticket holder ... live too far away for that and have family commitments.

If Defoe could play as well with Keane as he can with Berbatov, then I'd stick with him in preference to Bent. Tough choice, but Defoe gets the nod for me.

However, crazy as it may seem (and probably is), I haven't entirely given up hope that we may sell only Mido, sign Bent and keep both Defoe and Keane along with Berbatov. Jol has recently spoken of wanting to keep Defoe, but we also know he wants Bent ... could both things happen? Very unlikely, but you never know ....

Berbatov, Keane, Defoe and Bent all at one club: the most feared strike quartet in the Prem. I can always dream ....

Hmmm interesting. Thanks for that mate. I ask you those questions because YOU more than ANYONE on THIS site knows about Jermaine Defoe.

If you are indeed telling the truth (I have no reason to doubt you), and you'd be sad to see Defoe go, he could well be a welcome'd additon to the AVFC squad. My only problem is that we already have Agbonlahor and Moore on our books, who I feel could develop quite easily into a Defoe'ess player, if not better.

But, we have been LINKED, and there's gotta be some kinda truth in it. Especially as we've been linked with Bellamy too. Similar kind of player.

I was hoping you were going to say you'd prefer Bent over Defoe, but you seem to genuinely like Defoe (wouldn't have anything to do with him just scoring would it?!) lol.

Not sure, Defoe or Bent - could well be welcomed additions to our Football Club. Still feel we'll have to compete with the major big boys for Bent though.

As for Mido - heard he's off to Manchester City, so who knows - Bent, Defoe, Berbatov and Keane - that'd be something special!

As for Mido - heard he's off to Manchester City, so who knows - Bent, Defoe, Berbatov and Keane - that'd be something special!

no it wouldn't, it would be hard to face that Gem sack of strikers!. thats class on class that is and i for one wouldn't like to face spurs on there day with any 2 from 4 of these guys on top of there game no matter what defenders you might have!!

Jermain Defoe ....:

02-03 West Ham 8 Goals, 38 Games

03-04 Tottenham 7 Goals, 15 Games

03-04(jan) West Ham 11 Goals, 19 Games

04-05 Tottenham 13 Goals, 35 Games

05-06 Tottenham 9 Goals, 36 Games

06-07 Tottenham 8 Goals, 31 Games

... I know pretty well who I would want...

The statistics you quote are highly misleading.

For a start they take no account of minutes on the pitch, and secondly they take no account of cup goals. For example, for 04-05 you say '13 goals', when actually Defoe scored 22 goals in all competitions (top scorer).

PS. The 06-07 tally now reads 9 goals (and 17 in all competitions): add on the extra one for another 10 minutes played tonight :winkold:

Do those stats take into accout his loan deal at Bournemouth? I knw its lower league opposition but you still have to put the ball away.

For thte record, I like Defoe, I like his poacher instincts which are very Gary Linekerish witha hint of the Ian Wright attitude.

As for bent, I honestly can't comment. I really havbe not seen enough of him, but I am weary of signing him. You can score lots of goals ina small team yet not raise your game at a higher level. Defore has scored goals in the Premiership at 2 clubs and against tp oppositions and IF I am not mistaken both Man U and Arsenal were sniffing around him but the spuds spent more to get him.

Oh, forgot to say, I'd take Ashton over both of them anyday. Absolutely gonna be a top top playuer in the Shearer with skill mould, trust me, we have to sign this player!!!