Transfer thread: Rumours, Speculation & Suggestions

limpid

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we wont sign the world class players until we are in the CL..

we may get the odd one or two.. but until then we would get players in the lower category.. unless Lerner really throws the bank at them financially which i cant see him doing the way Chelsea did to bring the big names.

I'm not daft enough to think that we could sign the likes of Drogba, Ronaldo etc now, but there was a time when even they were available for a price we can now afford whilst they were playing in lesser leagues.

Will individual player threads be allowed, once linked through the media?

Do you remember the Rumour: 'Insert player name here' format in January?

Think that worked quite well.

It might be worth reminding everyone that in January, everytihng was kept very shtum and signings were made in secret and caught people by supprise a bit. So i'm just saying, be patient if there is nothing immediate or we dont' hear anything

What I find amusing is the comments about us not being able to sign Nugent, Reo-Coker and Sidwell.

Everyone playing at a lower level (well we haven't seen Sidwell sign for anyone yet).

First and foremost none of us have a single clue on whom we might sign. Ravanelli went to Boro and so did

Juninho, both world-class. Rava scored 30 goals for frecking Boro, when did someone do that at the Villa?

Nugent or Huntelaar, you'll never know before it happens.

Like Micheal Essien, Christiano Ronaldo, Ubafemi Martins.

Are they Michael, Cristiano and Obafemi's brothers?

:lol:

I was about to write something similar in response.

Like Micheal Essien, Christiano Ronaldo, Ubafemi Martins.

Are they Michael, Cristiano and Obafemi's brothers?

I think a number of players are overhyped because they are foreign. Michael Essien, Ronaldo, Van Nistelrooy were always too good for us. As a general rule, I think we should stick with what we know. I'd much rather Darren Bent than Saviola. That's not to say that if there are gems or bargains to be found abroad, we oughtn't to go for them - we should, of course - but I just feel we ought to remember that sometimes John Smith can be just as good as Juan Federico de Ninho.

I think a number of players are overhyped because they are foreign. Michael Essien, Ronaldo, Van Nistelrooy were always too good for us. As a general rule, I think we should stick with what we know. I'd much rather Darren Bent than Saviola. That's not to say that if there are gems or bargains to be found abroad, we oughtn't to go for them - we should, of course - but I just feel we ought to remember that sometimes John Smith can be just as good as Juan Federico de Ninho.

You've obviously never seen Juan Federico de Ninho play. He's like a young Maradonna.

No links in the papers, i dont know weather this is a good thing or not(come on we all like reading transfer gossip). The first major signing will see were we think we will be going in the summer. I am pretty nervous to be honest. You hear about West Ham and Sunderland spouting off who they are going to sign. I dont know im just nervous this summer for different and better reasons.

We shouldn't care if we sign 5 players in June or wait until the last minute like we did last time around, but I guess there is going to be a quarrel about it on here, with myself on the worried wagon :)

Anyway, as I see it if we sign players immediately we can attract better player during the summer. Also, they can join our pre-season tour which is very important.

I don't know when that starts but I reckon 5th of July or something? I think Chelsea are going to start theirs on the 6th so it might be a fair assumption.

No links in the papers, i dont know weather this is a good thing or not(come on we all like reading transfer gossip). The first major signing will see were we think we will be going in the summer. I am pretty nervous to be honest. You hear about West Ham and Sunderland spouting off who they are going to sign. I dont know im just nervous this summer for different and better reasons.
I honestly believe that this will be the most exciting and successful transfer window ever for Villa fans.

we wont sign the world class players until we are in the CL..

we may get the odd one or two.. but until then we would get players in the lower category.. unless Lerner really throws the bank at them financially which i cant see him doing the way Chelsea did to bring the big names.

Never say never!!!!

We have Carew and we are not in the CL, we have Bouma and he played regular CL football. I also remember that when people on this board wanted DOL out, a majority stated their preferred choice of manager would be MON. Many people laughed and said he would never come to Villa, but he did!

Big name players from the Dutch, French or Portuguese leagues are always a realistic option simply due to the lure of playing in the premiership for an ambitious club on the up. I don't think any player from these leagues are beyond us regardless of who they play for and who is linked to them.

Carew, Bouma and to some extent Laurson clear evidence of this.