Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

12 minutes ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

Has anyone checked what Lewis Miley has been sprinkling on his cornflakes?*

*I may have Photoshopped this slightly

LewisMileyGrowthSpurt.jpg

Internet says he's 6ft 1 :D That would make the guys next to him about 4ft 7 so I'm guessing he's grown a foot or so in the last couple months.

Edited by sne

3 hours ago, Dodgyknees said:

Spot on.

Got plaudits for getting Bournemouth promoted, but nobody mentions that they spent way above their limits and if they hadn’t been promoted they would have been in trouble.

God, this sounds strangely familiar...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, duke313 said:

Trippier confronted some Newcastle fans last night after they got beat. Where does their fans entitlement come from, they were in the relegation zone 18 months ago 😂

I think it's more they're spending loads of money so two long trips in a week and they weren't happy with the performance. Bit like some of our fans having a go last weekend and McGinn shouting back if it had happened like that.

Good for us Newcastle lost, I actually wasn't that shocked.

Far too early writing them off though. They just need to stay in touch with top 4-5 and they'll probably have a very good run at some point after xmas. They have stickability with how few games they've lost in last 18 months.

23 minutes ago, bobzy said:

“If they hadn’t been promoted, they would have been in trouble”.

I’ve never been fully convinced we were in serious trouble had we not been promoted when we were.

We spent a rather large amount on Kalinic in the January window (about £6m). And then we didn’t really play him after about three games. We weren’t looking likely to be in the promotion mix at the time so I’m not sure how the transfer was seen as a possible missing key to promotion which must be secured at all costs to avoid financial ruin. 

We agreed to buy Guilbert for about £4m and allow him to see out the season in France. Wouldn’t we want him to help with our promotion push if we needed to go up? 

Seems like a lot of money to spend when you’re facing trouble on the horizon. It seems kinda reckless to me. 

Maybe we were going all out, but if so it’s doesn’t quite tally elsewhere as I believe we had the option to buy Mings at the time for £15m and chose just to go with the loan, so we weren’t throwing caution to the wind in that instance.

It’s all just a bit inconsistent and doesn’t quite paint a picture of impending doom in my opinion. There was some jigger pokery - the stadium sale, the HS2 stuff. But I think all that was happening regardless of promotion.

But even if there were going to be financial issues, I guess Grealish and McGinn would have been sold to help.

1 minute ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I’ve never been fully convinced we were in serious trouble had we not been promoted when we were.

We spent a rather large amount on Kalinic in the January window (about £6m). And then we didn’t really play him after about three games. We weren’t looking likely to be in the promotion mix at the time so I’m not sure how the transfer was seen as a possible missing key to promotion which must be secured at all costs to avoid financial ruin. 

We agreed to buy Guilbert for about £4m and allow him to see out the season in France. Wouldn’t we want him to help with our promotion push if we needed to go up? 

Seems like a lot of money to spend when you’re facing trouble on the horizon. It seems kinda reckless to me. 

Maybe we were going all out, but if so it’s doesn’t quite tally elsewhere as I believe we had the option to buy Mings at the time for £15m and chose just to go with the loan, so we weren’t throwing caution to the wind in that instance.

It’s all just a bit inconsistent and doesn’t quite paint a picture of impending doom in my opinion. There was some jigger pokery - the stadium sale, the HS2 stuff. But I think all that was happening regardless of promotion.

But even if there were going to be financial issues, I guess Grealish and McGinn would have been sold to help.

I think your last bit is probably right - we would have been forced to sell off assets immediately after not getting promoted.  I don't think we were ever in trouble in terms of club going under (thank God for that sale), but we would've been flying very close to FFP.

Results since the start of October;

Bournemouth A 0-2

Dortmund A 0-2

Arsenal H 1-0

Man Utd A 3-0

Wolves A 2-2

Dortmund H 0-1

Palace H 4-0

West Ham A 2-2

PSG H 4-1

Their forms hardly fallen off a cliff, seems like the fans need to give their heads a wobble. The CL defeats are a blow, but they've lost twice to Dortmund, not some Kazakhstani farmers. If they'd won Saturday, there wouldn't even be a debate here (although by comparison our record since the start of October is W6 D1 L1)

Ultimately, some of these injuries are down to their kick, rush, chase and foul tactics being unsustainable for a busy fixture list.

Edited by StewieGriffin

15 hours ago, StewieGriffin said:

Results since the start of October;

Bournemouth A 0-2

Dortmund A 0-2

Arsenal H 1-0

Man Utd A 3-0

Wolves A 2-2

Dortmund H 0-1

Palace H 4-0

West Ham A 2-2

PSG H 4-1

Their forms hardly fallen off a cliff, seems like the fans need to give their heads a wobble. The CL defeats are a blow, but they've lost twice to Dortmund, not some Kazakhstani farmers. If they'd won Saturday, there wouldn't even be a debate here (although by comparison our record since the start of October is W6 D1 L1)

Ultimately, some of these injuries are down to their kick, rush, chase and foul tactics being unsustainable for a busy fixture list.

They have a worse away record than us in the league, which seems to have gone under the radar.  Only 1 win in the league away from home when they thumped Sheff Utd 8-0.

Â