Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

40 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

As the season goes on they'll pick up more injuries and I don't believe their squad depth is as good as ours. With Botman out they had to put Lascelles back in. Targett was out there tonight and on the bench likes of Livramento and Hall who are talented young players but neither have played that much in the premier league. Last time we'll see Tonali for a while so they need their other CMs to stay fit until they get in someone else in January.

Would be a big boost going into the Luton game if Wolves make it as difficult at Molineux as they did for us and get another 1-1.

They paid 40 million for Livramento and have a deal for 35 million for Hall locked on

Hard to have sympathy on the Newcastle woes

• Like 2

13 hours ago, VillaChris said:

As the season goes on they'll pick up more injuries and I don't believe their squad depth is as good as ours. 

Newcastle's play style is centered around overwhelming opponents with their high intensity. I wonder how sustainable that is when playing twice a week as they are currently. They might need to miraculously find a few more Saudi-based sponsorship deals in January so they can get in some new faces and rotate a bit more to stop their players getting knackered... 

Edited by oishiiniku_uk
  • Like 1

If Villa and Brighton can ‘struggle’ to maintain league form with the extra European games (according to most pundits this season) then so can Newcastle. They haven’t yet but it’s a long season and there’s every chance a team performing with that intensity could drop off. I know don’t who their PED sponsor is, but they might need to up the dosage. 

5 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

If Villa and Brighton can ‘struggle’ to maintain league form with the extra European games (according to most pundits this season) then so can Newcastle. They haven’t yet but it’s a long season and there’s every chance a team performing with that intensity could drop off. I know don’t who their PED sponsor is, but they might need to up the dosage. 

A " shock " loan move for Ruben Neves may help?

Tonali gone for 10 months is bad, but it could have been much worse. Isak missing until the next International break is a blow too. Murphy and Anderson is disappointing, but they're not as vital as Isak. 

I'm not too disappointed with the result last night. We hit the bar a couple of times, Wilson should have buried his point-blank chance, but whaddyagonnado?

It would have been more comfortable had these injuries and ban happened closer to the January window, but I think we've enough to keep ticking along. Probably drop down the league a bit as close games go the wrong way. 

Hall and Livramento are going to get more game time as the season goes on. Livramento is closer to a start, but he's behind Trippier who's arguably the best right back in the league, and definitely our most important player on and off the pitch. Willock coming back is good timing, as he can play wide left, meaning Gordon can cover Wilson in the middle if the latter needs a break late on in games. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TheFish said:

Tonali gone for 10 months is bad, but it could have been much worse. Isak missing until the next International break is a blow too. Murphy and Anderson is disappointing, but they're not as vital as Isak. 

I'm not too disappointed with the result last night. We hit the bar a couple of times, Wilson should have buried his point-blank chance, but whaddyagonnado?

It would have been more comfortable had these injuries and ban happened closer to the January window, but I think we've enough to keep ticking along. Probably drop down the league a bit as close games go the wrong way. 

Hall and Livramento are going to get more game time as the season goes on. Livramento is closer to a start, but he's behind Trippier who's arguably the best right back in the league, and definitely our most important player on and off the pitch. Willock coming back is good timing, as he can play wide left, meaning Gordon can cover Wilson in the middle if the latter needs a break late on in games. 

Yeah, we've plodded on with Buendia and Mings our for the season, Moreno and Ramsey missing nearly the first three months, and no sign of coming back. Its a challenge for clubs like ours with little depth, but doable as we've demonstrated so far.

Probably helps we're not still in the league Cup and also don't play a particularly high intensity press to dictate our style of play. But I think you're, like us, on the threshold of coping OK. One more first teamer out for either of us starts making things look much worse.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Yeah, we've plodded on with Buendia and Mings our for the season, Moreno and Ramsey missing nearly the first three months, and no sign of coming back. Its a challenge for clubs like ours with little depth, but doable as we've demonstrated so far.

Probably helps we're not still in the league Cup and also don't play a particularly high intensity press to dictate our style of play. But I think you're, like us, on the threshold of coping OK. One more first teamer out for either of us starts making things look much worse.

The good news, I guess, is that we've had a gentler run of fixtures to get us back among the big boys. Now, with the ban and injuries, we face a sterner test, but in a way, these are games we'd struggle to get results from anyway. After Wolves we've got Man Utd (a), Arsenal (h), Dortmund (a), Bournemouth (a), Chelsea (h) and PSG (a).

Isak might be back for Chelsea, Anderson and Murphy too. December has 5 winnable games for us. then hopefully we'll get some recruitment done for early in January. 

6 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

Kloppinhalershop.com

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Seeing how Dortmund constantly exploited the space on the left when Trippier was up-field last night made me think that Wolves could do something similar on the break - their front 3 is pretty handy in those situations. With Newcastle's midweek exertions and the extra injuries, I reckon Wolves can get at least a draw on Saturday, something I'd not have said a month ago.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Isak has a reoccurrence of his groin injury - no word on when he will be back 

He was out about for about 3 months at the same stage last season, would've missed far more games if the World cup break hadn't come. Wilson is an effective replacement but of course he needs to be nursed through periods of the season.

Yeah can see Newcastle dropping a few points in next six weeks....Wolves (a), Arsenal (H) Bournemouth (a) Chelsea (H), Man. United (H) Everton (a) Spurs (a) up to 10th December so that is probably as hard a set of games consecutively as they've had all season. Would be great to have a 6-7 point lead over them by the end of that.

8 hours ago, MrBlack said:

Seems to be a new phrase entering the lexicon of Sports vocab but "muscle memory" is pretty vital here. Newcastle have been consistently winning games for nearly two years now, we've been doing it for most of 2023 so of course you can't have endless injuries but generally the system is shown to work so important you have core of 5-6 who stay fit and then replacements can come in and play above themselves.

Again similar to Leicester having that incredible great escape in 14/15 and then steamrolling everyone the next season. Didn't have many injuries but still had players suspended or out for a game or two but by the later stages of that season they were on autopilot on the pitch.

Â