Christian Benteke

Kwan

I talked to Jack Woodward this morning and asked him whether he thought that Benteke would stay, and he said that it was a tricky one as Benteke wasn't about to "cut off his nose to spite his face." He felt that he would keep his options open in case a really top deal became available. That sounds sensible for CB so I guess that we shouldn't expect him to sign a new contract any time soon. (gentleman Jack is a really nice bloke by the way, so lay off him you lot!)

Thanks for the update, Jack ; )

I talked to Jack Woodward this morning and asked him whether he thought that Benteke would stay, and he said that it was a tricky one as Benteke wasn't about to "cut off his nose to spite his face." He felt that he would keep his options open in case a really top deal became available. That sounds sensible for CB so I guess that we shouldn't expect him to sign a new contract any time soon. (gentleman Jack is a really nice bloke by the way, so lay off him you lot!)

Jack is indeed a nice guy.

If I was the club I'd table a better contract for him, nothing astronomical, more like the Weimann type increase.

If he doesn't want it then he's free to leave, provided a club comes in and offers what the Villa valuation of the player is. If that doesn't happen then he's here for another year, has a better contract that reflects the fact that potential suiters weren't willing to put their money where their mouths were.

As long as we get something close to £30m it won't be the end of the world.

He has developed so much over the last season that I'd say he's now ready to make a big step up, he doesn't really need another season here to develop IMO.

Sadly all the "smoke" is indicating he wants out... the only thing left now is whether the club get an acceptable offer & decide to cash in, or B) decide to play hard ball.

Can't help thinking this crazy busy June is almost a prelude to the announcement that he's off.. The club has to be aware that we are viewed as "weak" when it comes to keeping players & that if we sell Benteke after just one year it will kind of ridicule the whole new ethos of buying in cheap & young as it will simply send out the signal that we really are just a doorway in to the "proper" clubs in the Premier League. I guess this is the big question really isn't it but then what is the alternative now we have all the new "closed shop" regulations in place meaning only Man Utd, Chelsea & Man City can compete!..... How exciting. :unsure:

Edited by danceoftheshamen
  • Like 1

As long as we get something close to £30m it won't be the end of the world.

And Randy has a track record of providing the whole fee received back to the manager to re-invest.

Then we have to find a replacement whom is willing to play for peanuts. It could really could be end of the world if we get relegated due to it.

Its not easy to replace like for like and this view of Villa rolling over for the highest bidder has to stop. 

He may want to keep his options open, but i can not see anyone meeting our valuation on him yet. If he performs to the same standard next season then i could see clubs coming in with the big money in Janurary, but not before.

I don't think we should sell him even if he wants to leave. I know it isn't great to keep a player who wants out but I think caving in and selling him sends the wrong message. This is of course unless we get a ridiculous offer for him.

Bit disappointed in the big guy if I'm honest. I understand that we are a small club in reality and if he has no connection to Villa he has no reason to think otherwise. However I feel like the man who risked his job to drop Bent, splash the cash on Benteke and face the backlash of the fans (fans who have given so much love to Benteke) deserves to be repaid with at least one more season of his services

He may want to keep his options open, but i can not see anyone meeting our valuation on him yet. If he performs to the same standard next season then i could see clubs coming in with the big money in Janurary, but not before.

Which suits both parties. Cant believe he wants all the unsettlement a move will bring, just before a World Cup and the better options that will give him. If thats what his agent is pushing, then Beneke really is the thickest footballer to wear a Villa shirt.

Luckily i dont think he is.

Which suits both parties. Cant believe he wants all the unsettlement a move will bring, just before a World Cup and the better options that will give him. If thats what his agent is pushing, then Beneke really is the thickest footballer to wear a Villa shirt.

But didn't he come out & state in the press at seasons end that he was sure it wouldn't affect his World cup chances if he moved or wasn't playing for whatever reason?

I'm sure if he's sat on the bench not playing regularly then it would affect his World cup chances

One of the main reasons he played so well last season was because he was a big fish in a small pond our side was built around him and we played to his strengths

Surrounded by quality players and bigger names who will want more of the ball he might not do as well

Edited by AshVilla

If he moves to one of the top 4 I wouldn't be as annoyed as its understandable these days, although I only see Chelsea affording him and they don't need him.

If the reports of him saying these things to just regular people on holiday are true, then I'm quite disappointed. As said above, after the backing us fans and also Lambert have given him, it would be a kick in the teeth to be saying he probably won't be here.

Its going to be really hard for us to elevate if we can't keep hold of our stars but I guess its expected with how the game is now.

Still gonna keep the faith until we hear something official.

But didn't he come out & state in the press at seasons end that he was sure it wouldn't affect his World cup chances if he moved or wasn't playing for whatever reason?

Misquoted of course!

Then the club should tell him that we can wreck his options if he starts spitting out his dummy. Im sure the thought of losing out on the World cup and looking like a greedy, ungrateful brat to "bigger" clubs will ply on his mind. He signed his name to the present contract, and he honours it or plays for the kids. Simple has.

I can tell you that players do tend to play games with members of the public, that just come up to them and ask questions like that.

He may not know himself.... decisions get made as a reaction to events i.e offers.... no events, no decisions.

Until proper sit down discussions are made with PL....The rest is pure speculation.

PS years ago,I've had Andy Gray say something to me in a night club on a wed night and said something else/diferrent to the press on a Sat Night. No disrespect but they will tell members of the public anything just to get rid.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Â