Christian Benteke

Kwan

If he is sold for a reasonable fee then you hope we look to the Tottenham roadmap for progression and reinvest it in strengthening several areas of the team. Hopefully in doing so, purchasing another talent of Benteke's calibre in which the same process can be repeated further down the line.

I hope we don't blow the money like Tottenham did. What a total mess of a transfer window.

• Like 1

On paper it seemed like a good window for them, especially at the time. I think Soldado was the only real questionable purchase given the fee, his age and the fact that he wasn't a brilliant player anyway. Lamela is a very talented player so I'm not sure exactly why they have not shown more patience with him.

On paper it seemed like a good window for them, especially at the time. I think Soldado was the only real questionable purchase given the fee, his age and the fact that he wasn't a brilliant player anyway. Lamela is a very talented player so I'm not sure exactly why they have not shown more patience with him.

The coaches and management don't rate Lamela at all.

Les Ferdinand has said "shit... **** shit. I don't know who scouted him, but they want shooting. We're going to try and build him up and sell him."

Never saw much of him at Roma myself.

He always impressed me whenever I saw him play for Roma. His link-up and interplay with Totti in particular was superb. Other Serie A followers that I know used to rate him very highly too. He must be awful in training for the Tottenham coaching staff to come to that conclusion. I'm not sure if it is just laziness, homesickness or just the failure to cope with the huge price-tag but it is extraordinary how it's panned out.

Edited by Isa

There's no way he's here next season.

People said this last season.

Not that I think he will stay, I think he'll go personally, but you can't really rule anything in or out.

I don't think his form this season warrants a big move, unless he goes on a serious scoring run now. What will spark silly season is if he nets a few in the world cup, then we can swap him for pjanic, strootman and destro in the summer from roma ;)

We have to be careful not to rush into the market with any pjanic buys.

• Like 2

He always impressed me whenever I saw him play for Roma. His link-up and interplay with Totti in particular was superb. Other Serie A followers that I know used to rate him very highly too. He must be awful in training for the Tottenham coaching staff to come to that conclusion. I'm not sure if it is just laziness, homesickness or just the failure to cope with the huge price-tag but it is extraordinary how it's panned out.

I doubt it's homesickness, he's Argentinian so rome wasn't exactly home either. I really have no clue what the issue is, all roma fans were desperate to see him stay so they though highly of him as well.

Right now though, they've spent the money awfully. They might come good eventually but there's no guarantee. When you spend over a hundred million quid, you expect a return pretty immediately. If you look at Spurs, their best players have been players that were already there.

Right now though, they've spent the money awfully. They might come good eventually but there's no guarantee. When you spend over a hundred million quid, you expect a return pretty immediately. If you look at Spurs, their best players have been players that were already there.

True. In hindsight they would've spent it very differently. I was just trying to explain why it would've seemed sensible at the time.

Shows how hard it is to buy quality players who will perform, even buying from the same league is no guarantee, just look at Torres.

Yet in the eyes of some, all of our players have to hit the ground running and play at PL standard consistently even when coming in with a fraction of the transfer fee and wages.  :detect:

• Like 2

Torres is obviously way worse at Chelsea than liverpool, but was he ever THAT good? He had a goal every 2 games rate for Liverpool, which was really good, but it's not worth £50 million pounds or up with the best.

lamela playing well for spurs means they won't be looking quite so desperately for a benteke...

Not necessarily considering Lamela is a winger and Soldado hasn't lived up to his reputation.

Whilst it's true he played well here for Roma, he didn't really do it consistently the whole time he was here. He could disappear, but I spose forwards do, and I didn't know anyone that wasn't pleased to get €30m for him at the time. Even though he was one of the best players, that sort of money in the right hands can take you places and Garcia has been amazing in that regard. Roma also got €10m (count them) for Bradley!!! Whilst he had played his part, was a hard worker and grabbed a coupel of important goals, he wasn't anywhere the quality needed in teh middle of the park. To get that much money for him was insane.

I digress. 

Yep Lamela could well be quality but I don't think he's £25m/€30m quality. We should be lookign to get that sort of money if and when Benteke goes and then do what Garcia did with the Lamela money, spend it wisely. Spurs payed over the odds for everyone they got IMO, even though they were smart enough to do their shopping BEFORE they got the Bale fee. Imagine how much Lamela would have been had they got him after?

I was convinced we would lose him last summer. I couldn't believe it when he signed the extension.

We might not be in a relegation battle right now (that could change very swiftly as we know) but I still think the last 10 games of the season are incredibly important for our future. If we manage to up our performances for the rest of the season like we did at Norwich then we might possibly be able to keep him. This then needs to coincide with 2-3 strong summer signings in the positions we really need. Signings that would get straight in the starting lineup and improve us. Not squad fillers.

Things really need to go our way if he's to stay here. First of all we don't know if Lambert gave him some kind of promise last season to give us one more season and then he would be off. Then there is the fact that we have no real evidence that we will perform any where near the performance level we had against Norwich when we have been poor for the better part of the season. Thirdly if we go by past experience Lambert wont get much money this summer to work with to improve the team. Lastly if we really manage to up our performances for the last ten games then Benteke will probably be a catalyst in that and by that increase interest in him again.

So to summarize; I'm as optimistic of keeping him now as I was of keeping him at the end of last season.

Edited by bose

Â