Christian Benteke

Kwan

That might actually be the problem we'll have to face when Benteke is looking to move at the end of this season. His value might sore with another good season behind him but who will actually be able to afford our valuation when no-one would pay 25m in the previous window?

The value soars to what the richest team after him will pay. That's all. As they say - a player is worth what a team will pay for him. No more and no less than that. An arbitrary value of £40m is literally meaningless if there is no-one out there to pay it, and by extension that would mean he wouldn't be worth the £40m.

I'm not worried at all tbh.  I tend to believe it has already been agreed that he'll move with our (AVFC's) blessing in the summer and I'm completely comortable with that.  I'll just enjoy him while he's here and be glad we got another season from him when it looked like we mightn't.  In terms of value, if he continues doing what he's doing then there'll be plenty of sides around Yurp willing to spend in and around the £30m+ mark for him in the summer. 

Generally agree with both posts BOF.

Is it the expectation then that 30m will be the figure he will go for and would the club and fans be happy with that with another sucessful season under his belt or a little disappointed that we may not get more?

If he does go for 30m then i wonder will Lambert be given all of that to improve the team or will Lerner take a percentage. I ask this because one would hope that our first team would finally benefit from the sale of our best players when it didn't before?

Which leads me to if he was a Spurs player i wonder what fee they would get for him in comparison to our own sale?

Finally thanks for the subtle correction in grammar. A Level in English and i still typed 'sore.' :D

Edited by Morpheus

To be honest he's not actually played particularly well in the league this season in the few games he has played. So in a theoretical situation where he doesn't get injured again and plays all our games, but scores say a total of 12 league goals...looks decent but not as good as he did last season...how would everyone see that panning out?

If he's not amazing this season we're not going to be able to get £30m for him, which means we may well not want to sell him - but we've probably already agreed he can go. I wonder what would happen then? Would it pan out well for Villa?

Hard to say we deserved to win when our initial equaliser was clearly offside. Obviously Man City only have themselves to blame for losing, I won't deny that.

Did they not retake the lead after that offside goal? So what happened? Like I said apart from their goals tell me what saves Guzan had to make which were so spectacular that we were played off the park.

The fact remains that we won by one goal and one of our goals shouldn't have counted. So we deserved a draw at best.

No doubt when we narrowly lose a game to an offside goal, you'll be one of the first ones whinging on here about how we were cheated etc.

So first it was fluke, then it was outplayed, now it was we deserved a draw. We have been cheated in games, so why can't we take a bit of luck. You still haven't mentioned those cracking saves Guzan had to make to keep us in the game as we were so outplayed and dominated.

You can dominate without properly breaking down. We outplayed Stoke at home last season for example. Secondly, such a result will be considered a fluke until it is repeated.

Were you at the game against Stoke? I was and if you think that we outplayed them, then god help us.

60% possession, nine shots to their one and 5 shots on target to none from Stoke. Oh but I forgot, you have to create loads of chances to have outplayed your opponent right? I take it Barcelona didn't outplay Chelsea in the CL semi-final in 2012 because they didn't carve out many chances? If a team sit back and basically just spend the whole game defending then they haven't been outplayed in your estimation? Edited by Isa

Right, but it won't for another few months and we got the win.

Anyway, we're off the point which was we need to play our best players against the top teams. It helps, but you don't need to. Sometimes you get the luck which is more powerful than any player tbh.

Playing a weaker team and relying on luck isn't really a sustainable approach though.

We're actually showing an ability to play teams off the pitch at times. Granted it's inconsistent at times, but becoming less so in recent games.

Maintaining a focus and a high tempo game is extremely demanding and with a relatively young side, that can tax the footballing brain of a few players.

But it's coming.

Which games do you think we've played teams off the pitch?

GREAT question, certainly love to know the answer to that one as well

Chelsea

Newcastle

Man City

And I am adding the caveat that I did state that this was "at times" and was "very inconsistent" as we are obviously finding it hard with such an inexperienced team to "maintain tempo for longer periods."

That's certainly no indication that I consider our world to be rosy - far from it. But there is potential there. Lots of it.

• Like 1

I'm sorry but we never once played Man City 'off the park' at any moment throughout that game.

We sustained considerable pressure and absorbed a lot of that through stamina and determination - I consider it equally possible to play a team off the park defensively as it is to play them off the park offensively.

Strategy, awareness and sheer tempo kept that attack at bay for sustained periods.

• Like 2

I'm sorry but we never once played Man City 'off the park' at any moment throughout that game.

We sustained considerable pressure and absorbed a lot of that through stamina and determination - I consider it equally possible to play a team off the park defensively as it is to play them off the park offensively.

Strategy, awareness and sheer tempo kept that attack at bay for sustained periods.

That's not what the phrase 'played off the park' means though...unless you are Alex McLeish.

• Like 3

That's not what the phrase 'played off the park' means though...unless you are Alex McLeish.

Touche

I'm perfectly happy he didn't play for Belgium. He will have been training with them and when he comes back he can train with us prior to Spurs. He has had good recovery time, not got injured or had a setback away from Villa as far as I can tell so I'm happy.

He may be a Belgium international but I don't give a **** about them. I only support Villa and we pay for his services so it suits me if we get to control when he starts a match or if he needs a slower intro due to fitness factors.

• Like 1

Â