Christian Benteke

Kwan

Firstly I am still really pleased Benteke is still with us for at least another year. Re Spuds pricing of him it seems a bit strange that they didnt even get near the 25 mil mark. If they really wanted him I think that would have been a fair price in todays market- if Andy Caroll is worth 30 mil, etc etc.The guy is 22 and unless he goes all hollywood he is going to get better. It could have been enough for Spuds to go from being a top 6 side to a top 4, and that would have paid for the fee.

I don't know why people keep using this example. It's precisely because of the Andy Carroll to Liverpool deal that clubs are shying away from overpaying for a young guy who's only had one good season. Nobody wants to buy the next Carroll.

(I am in NO WAY saying that Benteke is "the next Carroll." I'm only pointing out why a club like Spurs would be reluctant to break their transfer record for the second time in a couple of weeks, for a guy who's only had one season in the Premier League. I actually think Benteke would have been a beast for Spurs, so I'm delighted we get to keep him. I'm glad we're not playing against him next season.)

Yeah but Andy Carroll didnt even have 1 season in the premier league under his belt he basically just hit some form for half a season. So yeah dont compare Benteke to him  as at least Benteke done it for a full season bar a couple games at the start of the season

None of us will ever know the full ins & outs of this saga however it was fun speculating & had a happy ending-Its not often a player hands in a transfer request like this and then doesn't move.

I'd like to think that Bentekes agent over estimated Spurs determination to sign him-If the shoe was on the other foot,I think most of us would want Villa to break the bank in one final push for CL qualification.

One thing that I think most will agree on is that Villa did hold all the aces & did exactly what they said they would when the story first broke.I've been a critic of Lerners over the past couple of years but I'm grateful that he backed his manager on this.The sale could make the difference between Lerner chucking a few million into the club or it being self funding this season. 

Firstly I am still really pleased Benteke is still with us for at least another year. Re Spuds pricing of him it seems a bit strange that they didnt even get near the 25 mil mark. If they really wanted him I think that would have been a fair price in todays market- if Andy Caroll is worth 30 mil, etc etc.The guy is 22 and unless he goes all hollywood he is going to get better. It could have been enough for Spuds to go from being a top 6 side to a top 4, and that would have paid for the fee.

I don't know why people keep using this example. It's precisely because of the Andy Carroll to Liverpool deal that clubs are shying away from overpaying for a young guy who's only had one good season. Nobody wants to buy the next Carroll.

(I am in NO WAY saying that Benteke is "the next Carroll." I'm only pointing out why a club like Spurs would be reluctant to break their transfer record for the second time in a couple of weeks, for a guy who's only had one season in the Premier League. I actually think Benteke would have been a beast for Spurs, so I'm delighted we get to keep him. I'm glad we're not playing against him next season.)

Yeah but Andy Carroll didnt even have 1 season in the premier league under his belt he basically just hit some form for half a season. So yeah dont compare Benteke to him  as at least Benteke done it for a full season bar a couple games at the start of the season

The Carroll argument is irrelevant as Liverpool had just received £50million for Torres.If Spurs had received similar for Bale,I'm convinced they would have met our asking price.

Likewise-I doubt we'd ever had bought Bent if Man City hadn't paid so much for Milner.

I didn't say he wasn't within his rights. Though if Spurs (or anyone) want to compete at the very highest level then thats the game you need to be in.

Is it though? They could've bought Benteke a year ago for £5m, or a year before that for £1m

• Like 1

I'm not comparing him. That's why I took the trouble to state very clearly that I wasn't comparing him. Your response actually strengthens my position on this -- Liverpool paid 35m for a guy who had less than a full season in the top flight, and he was a big flop for them. It made Liverpool a laughing stock (that, and other things). Other clubs saw Liverpool get burned and have said, "Oooh. We don't want that to be us. Better not pay any high fees until a guy's at least had a chance to prove himself over two seasons."

(Anyway, I bet it turns out that Carroll himself is "the next Carroll," going to West Ham for 14m when he was out for a third of the season injured. I don't believe he'll be much more than a 9-12 goal a season man for them. Of course typing that out dooms me to someone repeating it somewhere on this forum next May when Carroll's banged in 25.)

• Like 1

The Carroll argument is irrelevant as Liverpool had just received £50million for Torres.If Spurs had received similar for Bale,I'm convinced they would have met our asking price.

Likewise-I doubt we'd ever had bought Bent if Man City hadn't paid so much for Milner.

Yeah thats what I was basically saying.

I didn't say he wasn't within his rights. Though if Spurs (or anyone) want to compete at the very highest level then thats the game you need to be in.

Is it though? They could've bought Benteke a year ago for £5m, or a year before that for £1m

I get that. But they wanted Benteke now. The original post insinuated that NO footballer should be worth over £20m. I simply asked "why".

I rate Andy Carroll 15-20 goals a season. Benteke should be in the 20-25 region.

Well he be injured for half the season so he will have to be hitting a goal every game. good luck with that Andrew

• Like 1

Okay, if he's injured half the time, Carroll's going to find it hard to hit 20. My opinion is based on a full season's worth of appearances. He is a great player and if he stays fit, West Ham have a bargain. Really believe that. Benteke is capable of being even better though.

Okay, if he's injured half the time, Carroll's going to find it hard to hit 20. My opinion is based on a full season's worth of appearances. He is a great player and if he stays fit, West Ham have a bargain. Really believe that. Benteke is capable of being even better though.

Capable doesn't come into it, Benteke is light years ahead of where Carroll will ever be

• Like 1

Carroll scored a superb volley last season. Amazing technique. He is underestimated, big time.

That said, I don't disagree Benteke is better. Out of the two, only Benteke is capable of entering the £50m+ transfer bracket.

what does that have to with anything. I will give it to you that he gets a lot of unneccesary hate because of his transfer price and whatnot, and I do think he is actually decent but benteke is far far better than he is. 

Â