Christian Benteke

Kwan

If a bid of around 20m is made and he really wants to leave can the club really stand in his way? I'd be annoyed if the funds wernt reinvested.

The thing is we have probably already in effect reinvested half of it.

Yes, he is under contract for the next 3 years.

Of course any fan can be concerned about losing a player especially a very good one but many have stated on here that they have faith in the manager to do well in the transfer market so that faith should then translate into Lambert replacing Benteke with similar quality.

Lambert is currently running at a 1/8 strike rate of buying players of Benteke's quality. 

It will not be easy to replace him, however good Lambert is in the transfer market (The jury's still out for me on that FWIW) - and that is not because I lack faith in Lambert as a manager.

• Like 1

I think people are being naive when they say there's no chance he'd go to Spurs. They're in London, they have a couple of Belgians there already ( Vertongen, Dembele ), he'd be guaranteed first choice centre forward and with a couple of quality additions ( and keeping Bale ) , they have a squad that could not only challenge for top 4 but 1st-3rd. Yes they are not in the champions league this season but with all the recent managerial changes, they could do well next season.

If they are prepared to pay the amount we'd consider for him ( £25m + ) then I think they would be a very attractive option to him, sadly

I think people are being naive when they say there's no chance he'd go to Spurs. They're in London, they have a couple of Belgians there already ( Vertongen, Dembele ), he'd be guaranteed first choice centre forward and with a couple of quality additions ( and keeping Bale ) , they have a squad that could not only challenge for top 4 but 1st-3rd. Yes they are not in the champions league this season but with all the recent managerial changes, they could do well next season.

If they are prepared to pay the amount we'd consider for him ( £25m + ) then I think they would be a very attractive option to him, sadly

Totally agree. 

I agree entirely, other than on the fee as I'm not sure it would be more than £25m unless a couple of clubs are trying to out bid each other.

I think we are getting ourselves too worked up here.

Lets take the worst scenario , and Benteke wants to leave, what can Villa do.Hold him to his 3 year contract, explain to him that unless he toes the line he will be out the 1st team, if he is out the 1st team he might fall down the pecking order for the national team, if he is out the national team he won't play in the WC.

We then explain to him, that we accept he may use Villa as a stepping stone, and in that case, if he gives us one more good season, then he can go with our best wishes, to a club a lot bigger than Spuds.In the mean time, hopefully, Weimann, Okore, abd Sylla plus 2 or 3 more, will step up to the next level, and it means we will be in a lot stronger position.

If i was advising Benteke, or if he was say a Baggies player, then i would say have one more season at your current club, and see how you go, the big teams would'nt buy a player who might be a 1 season wonder.

Of course any fan can be concerned about losing a player especially a very good one but many have stated on here that they have faith in the manager to do well in the transfer market so that faith should then translate into Lambert replacing Benteke with similar quality.

I've answered this, I'm not going to repeat myself as there is no point.

It is a pretty weak argument, you never want to see your best players leave regardless of a managers ability to replace them because you want progression. You want a team to develop. Benteke took a few months to settle, leading to a few premature predictions as I'm sure you recall.

If he goes, even if Lambert replaces him with a player of the same ability it could well take a few months for him to find his feet as opposed to a player who is already adjusted. Not to mention the rest of the team is set up to play to him and accustomed to getting the best of him.

So it really isn't as simple as you are trying to make out for the purposes of trying to discredit those who have belief in the manager but are concerned about Benteke's future.

I'll ignore the attempt at point scoring Trent and refer you to a post of mine on the previous page concerning your above point.

Building a team or to use your reference "progression" is pretty difficult for a club of our standing at the moment. Lambert purchased a diamond in Benteke but whether he leaves this season or next, in all probability he is going to leave and should Lowton or Westwood progress in the same way that Benteke has next season, then they will leave also when a club who can offer Champions League come calling.

I don't think we can build a team here in the way you or i or indeed the whole fan base would want. Our best players are continually going to be cherry picked and we are going to be in a vicious circle of replacing players and then selling them should they prove to be astute purchases.

For the foreseeable future therefore i do not see us building a team with quality players such as Benteke as the economics simply won't allow us to do it.

I agree entirely, other than on the fee as I'm not sure it would be more than £25m unless a couple of clubs are trying to out bid each other.

We've generally got good fees when selling our higher profile players though, £20m for Downing, £17m for Young and effectively £26m for Milner were all above their worth and Benteke is seen as a hotter prospect that any of them. If we do have to sell him, I'm not worried that we won't get a good price for him, it's how much we got to reinvest and how we replace him is the bigger issue.

Saying that, I do get the impression that's he's quite happy at Villa but if a big club comes in then he'd obviously want to consider it

Biskitt's post makes a lot of sense Spurs desperately need a striker and Benteke seems like a really good fit. The only thing I'd ask is whether those quotes about Benteke loving Arsenal were ever authenticated or were they just bollocks. I know most footballers are complete mercenaries but if he really does love the gooners that much surely he wouldn't join Tottenham.

He just retweeted a pic of De Bruyne and Lukaku with the caption "On our way to London".

*Also mentioned Chelsea so might not be an indication of his move to Spurs and De Bruyne appears to be dressed as Beiber which may explain why he retweeted it.

I'll ignore the attempt at point scoring Trent and refer you to a post of mine on the previous page concerning your above point.

Building a team or to use your reference "progression" is pretty difficult for a club of our standing at the moment. Lambert purchased a diamond in Benteke but whether he leaves this season or next, in all probability he is going to leave and should Lowton or Westwood progress in the same way that Benteke has next season, then they will leave also when a club who can offer Champions League come calling.

I don't think we can build a team here in the way you or i or indeed the whole fan base would want. Our best players are continually going to be cherry picked and we are going to be in a vicious circle of replacing players and then selling them should they prove to be astute purchases.

For the foreseeable future therefore i do not see us building a team with quality players such as Benteke as the economics simply won't allow us to do it.

I wasn't trying to point score but your whole 'I thought people had faith in Lambert' was point scoring so don't try that one.

I've answered your question, I don't expect you to agree but it was a perfectly reasonable answer(s).

But just to turn it on its head, given that you don't rate Lambert and thought he should have been sacked and replaced by Redknapp you should be more concerned than anyone. Unless of course you still aren't convinced about Benteke.

Totally agree. 

All the positives you cite for Spurs could be countered by saying he has made some very good mates at Villa (Sylla being one of his big buddies, to name but one), he is first choice forward at Villa, he is part of a top notch strike force at Villa, and, despite the recent  managerial changes, he is currently at a club that could do very well next season (yep, Villa can do very well next season - especially if we keep our attacking three together).

There's a reason Spurs don't sign decent players from Villa and that reason is we are a bigger, more historic and successful club than them.

Lambert is currently running at a 1/8 strike rate of buying players of Benteke's quality. 

It will not be easy to replace him, however good Lambert is in the transfer market (The jury's still out for me on that FWIW) - and that is not because I lack faith in Lambert as a manager.

While i would challenge your strike rate in that Lowton and Westwood have also been excellent purchases i would point to the transfer fee burning a hole in Lambert's pocket should Benteke be sold.

Now having money to spend and then spending that money well are two different things but i would again suggest that if Lambert is as astute in the transfer market as the majority thinks then he should be able to replace Benteke with similar quality.

Now having money to spend and then spending that money well are two different things but i would again suggest that if Lambert is as astute in the transfer market as the majority thinks then he should be able to replace Benteke with similar quality.

It really isn't that simple as I'm sure you know.

If it was then Redknapp who you seemingly have faith in would always manage to sign the same quality of player, only that doesn't happen does it.

Totally agree. 

Spurs wouldn't offer what we want for him and Benteke won't kick up a fuss for a move to Tottenham. I don't see him going there myself. 

If a big club come in for him we might sell but no big club will take the gamble on a one season wonder. He will be here with us for another season. 

Totally agree.

All the positives you cite for Spurs could be countered by saying he has made some very good mates at Villa (Sylla being one of his big buddies, to name but one), he is first choice forward at Villa, he is part of a top notch strike force at Villa, and, despite the recent managerial changes, he is currently at a club that could do very well next season (yep, Villa can do very well next season - especially if we keep our attacking three together).

There's a reason Spurs don't sign decent players from Villa and that reason is we are a bigger, more historic and successful club than them.

I don't think Benteke would care about our history in all honesty, for most footballers it's about the here and now IMO. At the moment, Spurs are a more attractive proposition than us and even if we do have a very successful season this year, do you think we'd finish above them ? I don't.

I genuinely think that he's quite happy here but if they came in with a big enough offer, I don't think he'd hesitate to move there. Our one saving grace could be the fact that we do get top dollar when selling players (like I mentioned above) which might put off some clubs trying to negotiate with us for a player that's only proven himself for one season

Edited by Biskitt

I don't think there are many players in the world with the potential of Benteke who would come to Villa. Hence why he probably will not be here in a years (max) time.

Is Guzan still not counted as Lambert signing? Seeing how he made the decision and had never worked with him before.

Yep, not of the quality of Benteke though.

Â