Isn't it nice

Gompedyret

... to be able to enter a preseason with a bit of confidence and expectancy? Gone is the exhaustive feeling of impending doom that has been all to common the last two or three years.

We have been bruised and battered plenty this season, taken a few really embarrassing and positively hurtful defeats, but the Lambie's youthful team has pulled through, buckled up and come out of it as improved players and a much stronger unit. Lambie & co, despite obvious mistakes and questionable decisions during the season, has shown a canny ability not only to pick up players with great potential, but to unlock this potential as well and in the process laying a very good foundation for a Team worthy of the Villa name.

For me, I feel quite serene (with a suitable sprinkling of giddiness) entering the preseason. Whatever we need, I'm sure Lambert knows and has plans how to acquire it. His very competent right hand man Culverhouse surely has a few aces up his sleeve as well.

Five of the most promising kids going out of contract soon? Still no no contracts signed by Benteke and Weimann? Defense still shit? No worries, it'll be taken care of. And even if it doesn't go as hoped it'll be okay still. Even if Benteke is to be sold this summer (heaven forbid) I won't despair, as I know Lambert & co will get top dollars and a humungous profit from the sale, which then again will go towards buying a new line of un- or half-known jewels to make the team as sparkly and vibrant as Aston Villa deserves.

So far this window we're almost exclusively linked to young, exciting and/or simply great quality players. None of the usual overpaid, second class semi-donkeys that used to go the rounds earlier. What's more, they're saying nice things about the Villa! Even if I understand only half of what he says, players seem to want to play under Lambert. All or most of the undeserving salary hogs and dead meat from the previous three manager's days are to disappear this summer. Attendance at Villa Park is on the up. There's a buzz around the place. Even the OS is getting an overhaul.  For once the future really feels as bright as the slogan implies.

Obviously, everything isn't going to be amazing just like that. There's plenty of work to be done, to put it mildly. We still haven't won anything of importance, nothing major is really done yet to ensure a better next season. The coming season, and even this transfer window, surely is going to have frustrating moments, defeats and downfalls. We're sure to enter periods where we seemingly have gone backwards. But I'm quietly confident that the team Lambie is putting together will be able to cope. Right now it feels good to be a Villa fan. Damn good, in fact. The coming roller coaster trip will be a pleasant one.

Bring on the (silly) season!

• Like 2

It is nice and I agree with all of that.  Serenity is a good way of putting it.  I have complete faith in Lambert and I probably have more faith in Lerner than most too.  I'm OK with whatever happens this summer because I know it's part of a plan and it's the plan of someone who knows what they're doing.  Everything seems positive at the club at the moment and if you add that to the relative instability immediately surrounding us in the PL then I think that'll only add to our good fortune once the season starts.  The only thing I'd disagree with is calling him Lambie :D

• Like 1

I have faith in Lambert in the transfer market. But in respect of organising a defence, the jury is still out for me.

Agree the gerneral point, we have a degree stability that we haven't had for a while - and we will still have that even we loose our star striker(s)

I have faith in Lambert in the transfer market. But in respect of organising a defence, the jury is still out for me.

I think he prefers the score more goals than opposition approach which was working in last 5 months and better than the policy of previous managers. We never win 1-0 :D

I think he prefers the score more goals than opposition approach which was working in last 5 months and better than the policy of previous managers. We never win 1-0 :D

I guess your right. I was brought on Ron Saunders - who worked on the approach that if you weren't conceeded goals you win matches. That worked pretty well  for 8 glorious years - and the football was still great to watch !    (who can forget us sticking 5 past liverpool in 45 minutes !)

If he pulls off Belhanda, I'll drop the Lambie!

I get your point - but bad turn of phrase !

Im more positive than the last few seasons but supporting Villa seems to be a cycle. A few years decent, A few years awful. We are due a few good years but I have little confidence we can maintain it for a prolonged period of time.

Question -

Were people more optimistic when Lerner first joined than they are now?

It really is easy to get carried away with a few decent results. Im a fan of the plan. I think its commendable. But I fear another struggle next season.

Im more positive than the last few seasons but supporting Villa seems to be a cycle. A few years decent, A few years awful. We are due a few good years but I have little confidence we can maintain it for a prolonged period of time.

Question -

It really is easy to get carried away with a few decent results. Im a fan of the plan. I think its commendable. But I fear another struggle next season.

Fully agree with you Woody. Villa fanatacism is very cyclical indeed, certainly during the tenure of my fanship of 38 years. I was very optimistic indeed when Lerner took over - I thought we were going to be the next Chelsea, with it just simply 'being our turn again.' Couple to that, the wonders of MON who was of pretty high stock anyway when he joined us. It felt as though 'this was it.'  

But it hasn't quite worked out that way. A much bigger fish came along and a few bits and pieces around this club and and outside of it happened and we find ourselves back down amongst the bottom feeders of the pond.

The last two or three months have been very positive. I'm not sure if we're going to struggle next season per se. I don't know what to think really about that. I'm happy we are on course, and I feel much happier now than I did two seasons ago, even with all the shat that went on in between. I'm quietly hopeful rather than relaxed and jingoistic.

On Lambie (!!) I depend.

Question -

That's the way it works for pretty much most teams.

What makes you fear another "struggle" next season? I certainly don't think we'll be competing for the top 4 or anything but on the evidence of the end of last season I don't see any reason the next season will be a struggle.

We ended the season on a run of 27 consecutive games without a clean sheet.  That is definitely a cause for concern. 

Question -

That's the way it works for pretty much most teams.

What makes you fear another "struggle" next season? I certainly don't think we'll be competing for the top 4 or anything but on the evidence of the end of last season I don't see any reason the next season will be a struggle.

Aye, as the Rev says. The defence is abysmal.

We might not have our best player from last year - and I don't think all are really acknowledging how important he was. 

The end of season was good, but the whole season points to another struggle. 9/10 your going to have at least one good run in a season (unless your woefully poor like Derby). Ours came at exactly the right moment and I do not underestimate (and I kept saying it at the time) how important it was we weren't actually cut a drift during that awful period when some of the clubs worst defeats were inflicted upon us. We deserved to be well adrift imo, but luckily there were some other equally poor teams that helped us out.

I think people are getting carried away with the run. Bar the Sunderland game, the wins (whilst they were wins) were pretty smash and grab as Stoke and Norwich as well as QPR looked like draws at best for long periods.

If we had spent most of the season mid-table and ended the season with a poor run, finishing 15th with 41 points would you be as optimistic?

Yes you could say we have a bit of momentum as the run came at the end, but 3 months of no football has to pass and as we are well aware, our good runs dont last for prolonged periods.

That's not me saying we will go down - I think we will improve, but I really do think the last couple of months have covered up a very very poor team over 38 games. Very poor. Forward steps are being made but there is an awful awful long way to go and those forward steps are not guaranteed to continue. Especially with the risks we seem intent on making in the transfer market (Though as I have said before - i am not necessarily against that).

Edited by Woodytom

Â