Player Statistics Review 2012-13 season

Con

Sorry for the typos. Touchpad a bit touchy, moves words around when I scroll.

More info.

According to the +/- goal difference stat

Our most attacking team -

home.png
Lowton
home.png
Vlaar
home.png
Lichaj
home.png
Bennett

home.png
Sylla
home.png
Westwood
home.png
N'Zogbia

home.png
Weimann
home.png
Benteke
home.png
Agbonlahor

Our most defensive team -

home.png
Lichaj
home.png
Vlaar
home.png
Baker

home.png
El Ahmadi
home.png
Westwood
home.png
Delph
home.png
N'Zogbia

home.png
Bowery
home.png
Weimann
home.png
Agbonlahor

I'm not sure that's particularly meaningful but those are the highest 9 players in each category.

Fantastic post. Found the Weimann stats particularly interesting. In the gif you posted, is it Weimann overlapping on the left? It seems to make the defender (Skrtel?) hesitate a split second, allowing Benteke in to score.

Even if it is another player, Weimann was making runs like that all season, and I really enjoy watching him. Nowadays the focus is so much on technique, but having that kind of awareness at such a young age is a real gift.

As you can see from the stats, when Gabby came back into the side, we ended up with an incredibly balanced front 3, each with different strengths. This meant we could play long ball football, counter attacks down the wings, Arsenal-style pass and move, and so on.

Westwood clearly had a great season as well. I think Lambert is a good judge of character, and that's really important when you're building a team for the future. Westwood and Lowton in particular seem very mature, but so do Sylla, Bennett, Baker, and Weimann. Delph is growing, and the more self-centred players like Bent, Bannan, possibly N'Zogbia are being phased out of the team.

I'm not a huge fan of Baker as a player (he seems like a good lad) but you make the very fair point that our perceived weakness on set pieces pretty much disappeared after he came in. He is excellent in the air. What I'm concerned about is his lack of pace and clumsiness on the deck, but maybe he will work around these issues, a la John Terry.

All in all, an interesting season. I much prefer watching the team improve over the course of the season, as opposed to the slow grinding halt we watched under MON each year. Lambert will need to buy wisely this summer, and I think the retirement of Petrov and probable sale of Bent, etc. mean we need to buy some experience, preferably in the spine of the team (I don't agree with this idea of getting an experienced left back to challenge Bennett, it wouldn't offer good value).

Has anyone recorded the key stat of how many times Guzan stormed out to shout at his defenders this season? That hair dryer has a future in management.

Fantastic post. Found the Weimann stats particularly interesting. In the gif you posted, is it Weimann overlapping on the left? It seems to make the defender (Skrtel?) hesitate a split second, allowing Benteke in to score.

It's a good example of a good run. I think that's Holman, who is also hard-working and an intelligent runner. Not quite as pacey and talented as the others though.

Even if it is another player, Weimann was making runs like that all season, and I really enjoy watching him. Nowadays the focus is so much on technique, but having that kind of awareness at such a young age is a real gift.

As you can see from the stats, when Gabby came back into the side, we ended up with an incredibly balanced front 3, each with different strengths. This meant we could play long ball football, counter attacks down the wings, Arsenal-style pass and move, and so on.

Yes, it does seem to be a potent combination. Asks defences lots of different questions. They don't know who to be most scared of, when.

Westwood clearly had a great season as well. I think Lambert is a good judge of character, and that's really important when you're building a team for the future. Westwood and Lowton in particular seem very mature, but so do Sylla, Bennett, Baker, and Weimann. Delph is growing, and the more self-centred players like Bent, Bannan, possibly N'Zogbia are being phased out of the team.

I agree that Lambert is a good judge of character. Not sure I agree with the description of Bannan and N'Zogbia as "self-centred".

Bannan worked as hard as his ability allowed. N'Zogbia put in a lot of effort. They are technical players with more creativity than Westwood, Sylla and Delph.

That's not so much character as you can have technical players with strong characters. N'Zogbia works well under-pressure, hasn't his clubs always survived relegation?

I'm not a huge fan of Baker as a player (he seems like a good lad) but you make the very fair point that our perceived weakness on set pieces pretty much disappeared after he came in. He is excellent in the air. What I'm concerned about is his lack of pace and clumsiness on the deck, but maybe he will work around these issues, a la John Terry.

As I said before to quite a bit of mirth, there are two types of centre-back. Playmaking CB and traditional CB. Baker's a traditional CB. Traditional CBs have character, strength, height, strong basic defending skills like tackling and heading. Examples of traditional CB: Vidic, Ivanovic, Mertesacker, Huth. Baker is still building strength so will be bit beefier in a few years, but he will have to be a CB in this mould. Traditional CBs are usually most effectively paired with playmaking CBs - Ferdinand, Cahill, Koscielny - who are more talented footballers but less robust.

All in all, an interesting season. I much prefer watching the team improve over the course of the season, as opposed to the slow grinding halt we watched under MON each year. Lambert will need to buy wisely this summer, and I think the retirement of Petrov and probable sale of Bent, etc. mean we need to buy some experience, preferably in the spine of the team (I don't agree with this idea of getting an experienced left back to challenge Bennett, it wouldn't offer good value).

Yes, I much prefer this "project" to one under previous managers. MON's approach to team building was terrible, dependent on burning money, which he did to little effect and McCleish... just don't go there. Lambert has a bottom up approach, and seems to be thinking outside the box - bringing latest ideas from the German league and applying to Aston Villa.

A few Comparisons with last season.

HOME

2011/13                                       2012/13

Villa 0-1 Man U                           Villa 2-3 Man U                         Same points: 0

Villa 0-1 Man C                           Villa 0-1 Man C                         Same points: 0 

Villa 2-4 Chelsea                        Villa 1-2 Chelsea                       Same points: 0

Villa 0-2 Liverpool                       Villa 1-2 Liverpool                     Same points: 0

Villa 1-2 Arsenal                         Villa 0-0 Arsenal                         1 point better off

Villa 1-1 Spurs                            Villa 0-4 Spurs                            1 point worse off

Villa 1-1 Everton                         Villa 1-3 Everton                         1 point worse off

Villa 1-0 Fulham                          Villa 1-1 Fulham                         2 points worse off

Villa 3-1 Blackburn                     Villa 1-0 Reading                       Same points: 3

Villa 0-0 Wolves                          Villa 2-1 West Ham                    2 points better off

Villa 1-2 Bolton                           Villa 0-1 Southampton              Same points: 0 

Villa 2-2 QPR                              Villa 3-2 QPR                             2 points better off

Villa 3-2 Norwich                        Villa 1-1 Norwich                        2 points worse off

Villa 1-1 Stoke                            Villa 0-0 Stoke                            Same points: 1

Villa 1-2 WBA                             Villa 1-1 WBA                             1 point better off

Villa 0-2 Swansea                       Villa 2-0 Swansea                      3 points better off

Villa 1-1 Newcastle                     Villa 1-2 Newcastle                    2 points worse off

Villa 2-0 Wigan                            Villa 0-3 Wigan                           3 points worse off

Villa 0-0 Sunderland                    Villa 6-1 Sunderland                  3 points better off (LOL)

Overall 1 point better off at home (ignoring the same points games)

AWAY

Sunderland 2-2 Villa                   Sunderland 0-1 Villa                       2 points better off

Wigan 0-0 Villa                            Wigan 2-2 Villa                              Same points: 1

Newcastle 2-1 Villa                     Newcastle 1-1 Villa                       1 point better off

Swansea 0-0 Villa                       Swansea 2-2 Villa                         Same points: 1

WBA 0-0 Villa                              WBA 2-2 Villa                               Same points: 1

Stoke 0-0 Villa                             Stoke 1-3 Villa                              2 points better off

Norwich 2-0 Villa                         Norwich 1-2 Villa                         3 points better off

QPR 1-1 Villa                               QPR 1-1 Villa                               Same points: 1

Bolton 1-2 Villa                  Southampton 4-1 Villa                             3 points worse off

Wolves 2-3 Villa                  West Ham 1-0 Villa                                3 points worse off

Blackburn 1-1 Villa             Reading 1-2 Villa                                   2 points better off

Fulham 0-0 Villa                  Fulham 1-0 Villa                                    2 points worse off

Everton 2-2 Villa                 Everton 3-3 Villa                                    Same points: 1

Spurs 2-0 Villa                    Spurs 2-0 Villa                                       Same points: 0 

Arsenal 3-0 Villa                 Arsenal 2-1 Villa                                     Same points: 0

Liverpool 1:1 Villa               Liverpool 1-3 Villa                                  2 points better off

Chelsea 1-3 Villa                Chelsea 8-0 Villa                                    3 points worse off

Man C 4-1 Villa                   Man C 5-0 Villa                                      Same points: 0

Man U 4-0 Villa                   Man U 3-0 Villa                                       Same points: 0 

1 point better off away (ignoring same points games)

Got bored and wanted to do this. No h8 pls m8s. If you find any mistakes or holes in my maths and logic please point them out. 

I think its clear to see that with Mcleish the scorelines were low on the whole whereas with Lambert the scorelines were much higher and we were contesting in the games much better.

IMPROVEMENT :3 

• Like 2

HOME

Villa 0-1 Man U                           Villa 2-3 Man U                         Same points: 0

Villa 0-1 Man C                           Villa 0-1 Man C                         Same points: 0 

Villa 2-4 Chelsea                        Villa 1-2 Chelsea                       Same points: 0

Villa 0-2 Liverpool                       Villa 1-2 Liverpool                     Same points: 0

Villa 1-2 Arsenal                         Villa 0-0 Arsenal                         1 point better off

Villa 1-1 Spurs                            Villa 0-4 Spurs                            1 point worse off

Villa 1-1 Everton                         Villa 1-3 Everton                         1 point worse off

Villa 1-0 Fulham                          Villa 1-1 Fulham                         2 points worse off

Villa 3-1 Blackburn                     Villa 1-0 Reading                       Same points: 3

Villa 0-0 Wolves                          Villa 2-1 West Ham                    2 points better off

Villa 1-2 Bolton                           Villa 0-1 Southampton              Same points: 0 

Villa 2-2 QPR                              Villa 3-2 QPR                             2 points better off

Villa 3-2 Norwich                        Villa 1-1 Norwich                        2 points worse off

Villa 1-1 Stoke                            Villa 0-0 Stoke                            Same points: 1

Villa 1-2 WBA                             Villa 1-1 WBA                             1 point better off

Villa 0-2 Swansea                       Villa 2-0 Swansea                      3 points better off

Villa 1-1 Newcastle                     Villa 1-2 Newcastle                    2 points worse off

Villa 2-0 Wigan                            Villa 0-3 Wigan                           3 points worse off

Villa 0-0 Sunderland                    Villa 6-1 Sunderland                  3 points better off (LOL)

AWAY

Sunderland 2-2 Villa                   Sunderland 0-1 Villa                       2 points better off

Wigan 0-0 Villa                            Wigan 2-2 Villa                              Same points: 1

Newcastle 2-1 Villa                     Newcastle 1-1 Villa                       1 point better off

Swansea 0-0 Villa                       Swansea 2-2 Villa                         Same points: 1

WBA 0-0 Villa                              WBA 2-2 Villa                               Same points: 1

Stoke 0-0 Villa                             Stoke 1-3 Villa                              2 points better off

Norwich 2-0 Villa                         Norwich 1-2 Villa                         3 points better off

QPR 1-1 Villa                               QPR 1-1 Villa                               Same points: 1

Bolton 1-2 Villa                  Southampton 4-1 Villa                             3 points worse off

Wolves 2-3 Villa                  West Ham 1-0 Villa                                3 points worse off

Blackburn 1-1 Villa             Reading 1-2 Villa                                   2 points better off

Fulham 0-0 Villa                  Fulham 1-0 Villa                                    2 points worse off

Everton 2-2 Villa                 Everton 3-3 Villa                                    Same points: 1

Spurs 2-0 Villa                    Spurs 2-0 Villa                                       Same points: 0 

Arsenal 3-0 Villa                 Arsenal 2-1 Villa                                     Same points: 0

Liverpool 1:1 Villa               Liverpool 1-3 Villa                                  2 points better off

Chelsea 1-3 Villa                Chelsea 8-0 Villa                                    3 points worse off

Man C 4-1 Villa                   Man C 5-0 Villa                                      Same points: 0

Man U 4-0 Villa                   Man U 3-0 Villa                                       Same points: 0 

Got bored and wanted to do this. No h8 pls m8s. If you find any mistakes or holes in my maths and logic please point them out. 

I think its clear to see that with Mcleish the scorelines were low on the whole whereas with Lambert the scorelines were much higher and we were contesting in the games much better.

You have put that we got 3 points better off from the home Sunderland game but it should only be 2 pal

As I said before to quite a bit of mirth, there are two types of centre-back. Playmaking CB and traditional CB. Baker's a traditional CB. Traditional CBs have character, strength, height, strong basic defending skills like tackling and heading. Examples of traditional CB: Vidic, Ivanovic, Mertesacker, Huth. Baker is still building strength so will be bit beefier in a few years, but he will have to be a CB in this mould. Traditional CBs are usually most effectively paired with playmaking CBs - Ferdinand, Cahill, Koscielny - who are more talented footballers

Well that's not rocket science, but the really good "traditional" CBs nowadays tend to have a bit more pace than they used to. Vidic is quick, Campbell was very quick in his prime, Terry used to have a burst of pace (and started getting dropped when that went). Now of course these guys were among the very best in the world, so maybe I'm expecting too much. Mertesacker seems to get away with it, but he is a fantastic reader of the game. I don't think Baker is. I look forward to him proving me wrong.

As for the self-centred players comment. Bannan has done some silly things off the pitch which you don't do if you're committed to the team. And while Zog has put in a great shift, he is known for being a slightly difficult character and he does tend to go for the highlight reels rather than the easy ball. I'm not criticising him, but I think Lambert has an idea about the kind of people he wants in his squad, and they are committed, down-to-earth characters who pull for the team. I think that's why he likes getting players from the lower leagues and from unfashionable clubs and countries - they're less likely to bring any baggage with them. Playing for Villa is a massive swell of pride for players like Sylla, Bowery, etc. while Given and Zog probably feel they've taken a wrong turn somewhere.

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 1

HOME

AWAY

You have put that we got 3 points better off from the home Sunderland game but it should only be 2 pal

In fact he's right that we were 3 points better off but he's put the wrong score down; we lost 0-1.

Â