Ole Gunnar Solskjaer in trouble

DeepDish

After winning his second league title in Norway in a row last season, he is now in trouble.

6 points after 10 matches in this season, last in the league with only one win. Has been labeled a gentleman in football, but has had some strange rants about other managers, referees and his own players.

I wanted him to Aston Villa as much as I wanted Lambert (because I was longing for something new), but I have serious doubt that he would been capable of 

1) Finding the quality players we need

2) Turn around a poor period

From what I can gather he lost his best defender to Southampton, lost his best striker to a Chinese club and his main midfielder is not performing. Seems quite unlucky to me.

He can't be a bad manager over night, as the saying goes.

Sometimes circumstances work against managers and it's hard to keep the wider context in perspective when the facts (losses) are indisputable. 

Bad start. But doesn't mean he can't turn it around. Look at us.

:wacko: We've been shit all season, we beat the other shit teams to narowly avoid being one of the 3 shittest teams in the league at the end. I'm not sure we really turned anything round.

:wacko: We've been shit all season, we beat the other shit teams to narowly avoid being one of the 3 shittest teams in the league at the end. I'm not sure we really turned anything round.

We're mid table since the turn of the year.

Remembering how we were all creaming our pants after that video of Ole at his stadium in Norway... :rolleyes: I think we'd be preparing for life in the Championship if he ended up taking the job...nice guy and all, but I'm not sure he has the brass balls needed for top flight management in England. 

• Like 1

:wacko: We've been shit all season, we beat the other shit teams to narowly avoid being one of the 3 shittest teams in the league at the end. I'm not sure we really turned anything round.

I thought we'd been maximum 2 places above relegation.

Just saying imo being 5th bottom rather then 3rd bottom isn't really us turning it around ( or anything to brag about)

:wacko: We've been shit all season, we beat the other shit teams to narowly avoid being one of the 3 shittest teams in the league at the end. I'm not sure we really turned anything round.

Just saying imo being 5th bottom rather then 3rd bottom isn't really us turning it around ( or anything to brag about)

Its nothing to brag about. But if you take the table since January 1st we're 9th or 10th (I forget which, althoguh i think that was before the Chelsea game)

The season as a whole has been poor. But there has clearly been an improvement this calendar year.

It doesnt matter where we finish it is absolutely indisputable that we have turned it around in the second half of the season.

sorry, since the turn of the year we have lost all of our games to top half sides, drew with mid table Fulham, beat the other relegation fodder (apart from today's draw). I don't really call beating teams in the bottom 6 turning it round. Since the start of this year we have been beat by Millwall, Bradford, Southampton and Newcastle. We've picked up points because we've played a number of weak teams.

We're still poor.

Edited by Tamuff_Villa
  • Like 1

He has been unlucky with losing players and defenders being injured. It`s not helping that the players he have relied from the previous years have not been performing. But he did however fail to replace those lost players. He do however promotes young players like Lambert and is gonna change it up now. He has warned players that if they don`t step up in the next game then that might be their last match in the shirt. 

What this means: He is still new to the whole manager scene and I do think he would have some hard time stepping up to a big club like this, which is exactly why he didn`t. He did however take Molde to new heights, he really revamped the team and made them winners which is impressive. Other clubs have tried to do it like that, but failed. At least from the standpoint they originally was in. I do think he has a bright future ahead of him as a manager but I am so glad he is not managing villa. Their is so much more pressure over here, I think it might have been to much for him if he was put in the spotlight here.

sorry, since the turn of the year we have lost all of our games to top half sides, drew with mid table Fulham, beat the other relegation fodder (apart from today's draw). I don't really call beating teams in the bottom 6 turning it round. Since the start of this year we have been beat by Millwall, Bradford, Southampton and Newcastle. We've picked up points because we've played a number of weak teams.

We're still poor.

I thought I was the only one who thought like this. I really don't see this new era that some are claiming - especially with funds for lambert being tighter than we hoped.

We're still poor.

No one's said we aren't still poor.

But you put beating relegation fodder as some sort of negative, well in the first half of the season we were losing to all those teams as well as everyone else. That's improvement.

We have noticeably improved this calendar year. That doesn't mean we are suddenly amazing. But there's quite obviously been an improvement since last year, whilst still leaving us well short of where we want to be.

For example, up to December 31st we'd averaged 0.9 points a game, scored 15 goals and conceded 39 (in 20 games)

Since then we've averaged 1.3 points a game, scored 32 and conceded 30 (in the remaining 18 games)

So no, we're not a great team all of a sudden. But it's pretty indisputable that we've improved in the second half of the season, i.e. this calendar year. That doesn't mean there hasn't still been poor performances, there have.

The season as a whole has been poor. But the second half has been noticeably "less poor" than the first half.

Edited by Stevo985

Narrow defeats to 3 of the Sky 5, big one against united and spuds we didn't play. And it's more important to beat those around you, the so called six pointers, than to beat the big boys. We've been playing better and better in the last 4-5 months. That's progress, even if nothing's perfect. Even if it's far from perfect. But this isn't aboutVilla, is it? It's about a manager we enquired a year ago, probably as a back up choice had Lambert turned us down.

Â