Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

As a direct replacement for Bent, I would be looking at Phillipp Hosiner of FK Vienna. He scored 32 goals in 36 league appearances last season, a pretty good return no matter what league you play in.

The need for a defensive midfielder is still pretty urgent in my view, that being said I would probably go for Lucas Biglia of Anderlecht.

Wilfried Bony of Vittesse Arnhem gives you three players in one, as the out and out striker, as the second striker and finally as an attacking midfielder.

I think all three would be worth a look. 

Herd is alright, except for when he's played as a CB! He was fairly poor there last year.

Thats probably because he is 5 foot 8. He is too short to be a CB.

No he isn't. Minimum of 6 foot. 

He's not, he's 5'8" - he's got a fantastic leap on him but he's of average height.

Saw a rumour (almost certainly BS) that Chelsea are after Luke Shaw.

If that is the case they it would be great if we enquired about Betrand.

No doubt he'd cost a bit of money but would surely still meet the Lambert criteria !

NOOO! overrated.

Eh? Bertrand would be superb. And IIRC we enquired about him last season before he broke into the Chelsea side. So we do have previous...

Wouldn't mind if this was a loan tbh. The system is there to use, better Bertrand than Dawkins??

No one signed today?? Typical for Villa lazy fekkers have had a POETS day!!!

Dawkins isnt a LB.

Saw a rumour (almost certainly BS) that Chelsea are after Luke Shaw.

If that is the case they it would be great if we enquired about Betrand.

No doubt he'd cost a bit of money but would surely still meet the Lambert criteria !

NOOO! overrated.

Eh? Bertrand would be superb. And IIRC we enquired about him last season before he broke into the Chelsea side. So we do have previous...

His rubbish, rather get Cresswell. 

We enquired about him after he broke into the Chelsea (after he played in the CL final) 

So they say you need 2 players for each position to cover injuries and keep people on their toes..

At the moment we have (using 433 how we finished season):

Guzan/Given

Lowton/Herd - Okore/Baker - Vlaar/Clark - Bennett/Stephens

Sylla/Bacuna - Westwood/ Bannan - Delph/Kea

Weimann/Tonev - Benteke/Bent - Gabby/Nzog

Then we also have:

Ireland, Hutton, Bowery, Gardner , Holman and the kids (have I missed anyone?)

So let's assume we are going to either, sell, release or loan:

Given, Hutton, Bannan, Bent, Holman, Nzog, Stephens and Holman.

Therefore we will need

Gk, Lb, Cm, Cf, Lf

So Helenious, Belhandi/Popov, Cresswell could be some joining, leaving us with Gk and Cm also needed... Still lots to do this window but nice to see early moves being made

mikeyp, by looking at your line up analysis, it still doesnt fill me with confidence going into next season, despite 6 signings already and players left with more to leave

im a little confused as to what type of midfielder bacuna is, wiki is saying right winger or centre attacking mid, so maybe it could be him with sylla and westwood?

id sill pick baker over okore, with okore back up to vlaar

still need a LB and of course helenius to replace bent, maybe a new back up keeper to replace given if we manage to shift him

players to still shift imo are...

given

hutton

ireland

bannan

nzogbia

holman

bent

delfouneso

(i personally would also like to add delph and bennett to that list)

mikeyp, by looking at your line up analysis, it still doesnt fill me with confidence going into next season, despite 6 signings already and players left with more to leave

im a little confused as to what type of midfielder bacuna is, wiki is saying right winger or centre attacking mid, so maybe it could be him with sylla and westwood?

id sill pick baker over okore, with okore back up to vlaar

still need a LB and of course helenius to replace bent, maybe a new back up keeper to replace given if we manage to shift him

players to still shift imo are...

given

hutton

ireland

bannan

nzogbia

holman

bent

delfouneso

(i personally would also like to add delph and bennett to that list)

You'd want to shift Delph?

What do you know about Okore to want Baker over him? I've never seen Okore play a full game so am not able to decide if he's better or not than Baker, so what am I missing here?

Delph has a point to prove and be given a run at least 7/10 games, he came good towards the end off the season, prior that he has been injured or just lacked enthusiam. Give him till Jan to get his act together or find a club to send him out on loan to (Cardiff sounds like a good suitor) the lad just needs to control his aggression and making silly tackels from behind.

Delph was an important player for us from February onwards. Bacuna or any other new signing will do well to displace him.

Sylla would be first out to the bench.

Agree shifting him should be last thing on our minds at the moment.

Sylla was the steel we were lacking in the middle of the park. It was no coincidence that the goals against column became less fragile once Sylla was introduced & Vlaar returned to the back 4. I would take Sylla over Delph every single time. That said I would still like our real marquee signing in this window to be a top quality CM.

• Like 1

sylla and westwood should be definite 2 out of 3, the hardest decision is who to play that attacking centre mid role behind tekkers

take sylla out and theres no defensive break up

on another note, are we to assume now that finnbogason is dead in the water now? (not literally obviously)

Sylla first name on the bench? Sylla should be one of the first on the team sheet.

If he's played as a box to box player again, then he should be benched...he isn't technically good enough.

If he's used as a ball winner DM, then he should start. IMO

Sylla first name on the bench? Sylla should be one of the first on the team sheet.

Absolutely on Sylla. I hope we get an improvement on Delph and he moves to the bench. I don't think he suits our game and I'm not a fan but I can totally see why a lot of people like him. 

sylla and westwood should be definite 2 out of 3, the hardest decision is who to play that attacking centre mid role behind tekkers

take sylla out and theres no defensive break up

on another note, are we to assume now that finnbogason is dead in the water now? (not literally obviously)

Was it ever a go'er? 

If he's played as a box to box player again, then he should be benched...he isn't technically good enough.

Sylla is as close to a jimmy milner replacement as were ever likely to get (in the unlikely event we actualy resign milner), syllla just looks so composed when he has the ball and is very adept at breaking up the oppositions play, for what ur cost the guy is an absolute legend in the making.

• Like 2

Sylla is as close to a jimmy milner replacement as were ever likely to get (in the unlikely event we actualy resign milner), syllla just looks so composed when he has the ball and is very adept at breaking up the oppositions play, for what ur cost the guy is an absolute legend in the making.

??? Sylla is nothing like Milner at all!

• Like 2

Comparing him to Milner LMAO. 

For a start Sylla can't shoot for toffee. Ive never seen Tonev or Bacuna play before but I already know they're better box to box midfielders than Sylla. 

Jim

I like Sylla but i see no comparison with Milner.