Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

If we are stupid enough to swap Benteke for an older Darren Bent and some cash, I wont bother turning up to any games or purchase any merchandise. I'll spend my money on something more worth while like a pair of Karl Pilkington pump pants!

I don't think Defoe would fit into our wage structure and his sell on value would drop year on year. We've been down this road before and we're struggling to offload players who are happy to sit out their contracts on high wages. I can't see Defoe wanting to take the kind of wage cut we'd probably be offering. Don't see that this has any legs and if Spurs suggested it I'd expect us to, politely, tell them to get stuffed.

I must be the only villa fan that would take Defoe and money ( Hopefully alot otherwise i'd reconsider ) for Benteke.

Can't see it happening anyway so may aswell dismiss it. Defenders please ? Yawn...

Really??? -_- Defoe is dog shit... exactly the same as Bent (Who we are trying to sell)...... We have been burnt in the past with player exchanges so I doubt we will be doing one with such an important deal for the club... If we do sell Benteke, should really go after Bony again!

Defoe is not dog shit and is better than Bent in the that he scores a whole range of goals (bar headers). He was in and out of the team last year and bagged 19 goals so he is clearly not shit. I would have him, but I do not want him.

I'm not a big fan of his to be honest.... Granted I went over the top saying he's shit... But I don't see us wanting him in a swap deal, I doubt Defoe would want to come here and Lambert would have targets in mind for strikers... Bony...?

I agree with everything you have said there, however I have absolutely no idea what 'Bony' means??

He means Wilfried Bony from Vitesse. Unless this was some sort of sarcasm or something I didn`t get.

Defoe is a good player but would really be a step down from benteke. Besides, he is the type we don`t need at all. That doesn`t mean he is a bad striker at all but we would end up with little to no cash, I guess around 12-17 mill + him which would be robbery considering benteke will have a much higher resale value while defoe would be worth basically nothing. And I don`t think he would play for us either, and his wages are too high. If we are trying to make a change at this club, this is going in the wrong direction.

Defoe is well above many strikers in the PL, no argument there.

No sarcasm. I have never heard of the lad.

Alright then, I am just bad at picking up stuff like that on forums. Bony has had a big breakout this season, we were linked with him last summer. Too big of a season actually, similar to benteke which means he will attract attention from higher up clubs than ours.

For our style there isn't a lot worse. He's the opposite of what we have up front. He's precisely what we have on the bench. He's the proverbial inflatable dart board. If they were hell-bent on signing Benteke then it's all cash please because they have no-one up front that I'd take as any kind of squad player. Spurs may be ahead of us at the moment but that's despite their strikeforce, not because of it.

I think its unfair to dismiss Defoe's goals at Tottenham. He has definitely played a part in their success. Not the biggest part. But a part.

Agree with the rest of your post though and I think we are both in the knowledge that whilst Defoe (talent wise) is not beneath us, he certainly is not 'right' for us at the moment.

Edited by Woodytom

Defoe is solid, slight improvement over Bent possibly, does more for the team I guess?

Although I don't like the thought of it. It could happen though.

It's COMPLETELY against Lambert's views and policies though? No chance.

Defoe is solid, slight improvement over Bent possibly, does more for the team I guess?

Although I don't like the thought of it. It could happen though.

It's COMPLETELY against Lambert's views and policies though? No chance.

Let's hope so..!

Defoe? Are people having a laugh? He's 31 in october and past his prime and people think he'd be a good signing? We're just getting rid of our overpaid players who are past their prime and you think it'd be a good idea to get yet another player on high salary? Defoe would've been a good signing 3-6 years ago but not anymore.

• Like 1

When did I say we are too good for Defoe?

You did not. Your initial post implied that however. If I have read that wrong then apologies, but that is how it came across.

My initial point was made after someone talked about a swap for Danny rose.

Whether or not either could make it into our team is not the point, rather that we should not be accepting Spurs fringe/declining players as a makeweight for our best player.  This is a surefire way to mediocrity.

If he has to go it has to be on our terms!

Edited by Nigel

You did not. Your initial post implied that however. If I have read that wrong then apologies, but that is how it came across.

Whether or not either could make it into our team is not the point, rather that we should not be accepting Spurs fringe/declining players as a makeweight for our best player.  This is a surefire way to mediocrity.

My bad then, I read it wrong - apologies.

My bad then, I read it wrong - apologies.

No need to apologise, its the point of the forum! :)

I'd be amazed if Jermaine Defoe signed for us this summer.  Absolutely gobsmacked.  I would not be amazed if Spurts were trying to get rid of him though

If we are stupid enough to swap Benteke for an older Darren Bent and some cash....

That would be stupid! But at least it means Benteke will stay...

Edited by Tayls

I'd be amazed if Jermaine Defoe signed for us this summer.  Absolutely gobsmacked.  I would not be amazed if Spurts were trying to get rid of him though

Someone should tell them that Hughes at Stoke needs strikers... ;)

Not much about Aiden McGeady possible transfer here.

Few days back he gave interview to the Russian press and told that might be going to England. 

He said: I don't exclude that Spartak will sell me this transfer window. They may wish to get cash one year before my contract with the club expires.

Russian media told that Villa, WBA and Sunderland (in that order) shown interest in McGeady.

Russian media estemated possible move for 5 up to 6 million euros.