Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

A striker to push Weimann on the bench? Don't know why he needs a striker. And if Bowery, who I like, is so much better than Delfouneso, then why is he not more involved in games. Helenius has stepped ahead of him, and if we get another striker, Bowery is even behind Tonev, so that will make him effectively 7tf choice. And it is obvious Lambert is trying out a 442, as you saw against LIverpool. So I actually expect a winger or offensive central midfielder, if anyone comes. Come back Milner!! 

Sorry for my bad English right now. Too tired at work to do anything properly...

Edited by momo

At the risk of repeating myself but...

We play with 3 strikers, one of whom is the main goal scoring threat. Behind them we have Bowery and Helenius, neither of whom are likely to feature much in the 1st team. Then we have Tonev who can cover Gabby or Weimann in the wide spots of a 433.

We are still light up front when playing in our current formation.

Signing a winger seems completely and utterly implausible to me given everything we've seen to date since Lambert arrived.

As for Milner, nobody would be happier than me to see him back here but it isn't going to happen.

Agree with Trent.  In the current formation there is no room for an AM.  As much as I think we need one, I trust PL to make the right decision.  If Benteke gets injured, who comes in?  Bowery is not ready and will more than likely go on loan.  Helenius needs more time. 

I think the "Dortmund Plan" will take a while to properly bear significant fruit, but if during that time we see constant improvement then that's ok by me.

I guess it boils down to how patient fans are.

I think your logic is sound Trent and we will see... though if you ask me Gabby and Wiemann can both do a job up top too and we do also have N'Zogbia (when fit) to cover the wide forward roles.

However didn't Howard Hodgson say that Faulkner had told him it would be a midfielder? He also said someone to make an immediate effect on the first team where as you are saying it will be a 2nd line striker.

I know nothing but it seems a little bit like two ITK's saying different things.

Wouldn't surprise me if we did go for someone in the Robbie Keane mould/deep lying forward as Omar suggested and if we do then to a certain extent we are splitting hairs.

Edited by villaglint

N'Zogbia isn't part of the plans in my view, had he not injured himself I think he would have been with the other outcasts this summer.

I do agree that Gabby and Weimann can play up front but if they are doing that we are still short over cover then outwide. We play with 3 strikers, we haven't sufficient cover for them.

At the risk of repeating myself but...

We play with 3 strikers, one of whom is the main goal scoring threat. Behind them we have Bowery and Helenius, neither of whom are likely to feature much in the 1st team. Then we have Tonev who can cover Gabby or Weimann in the wide spots of a 433.

We are still light up front when playing in our current formation.

Signing a winger seems completely and utterly implausible to me given everything we've seen to date since Lambert arrived.

As for Milner, nobody would be happier than me to see him back here but it isn't going to happen.

Fine, and you might be right. Maybe you are ITK, so you are trying to close the discussion, I don't know. I believe we are after a winger or offensive midfielder. You might have information that suggest otherwise. And if so, I wont speculate in the speculation thread. Why wouldn't a winger be playing in a 433? Examples: Lamela, Bale, Ronaldo, etc.

2. The players who were earning crazy nothing and hardly giving any return have been isolated and are no longer getting away with providing s**t performances every week and still finding themselves in the team the following week.

No quite right,  they are now in a position of earning shitloads and contributing nothing at all

• Like 2

I'm not trying to close discussion or stop people from speculating, people can speculate as much as they want it is the point of the thread.

You said you didn't know why he needs a striker, so I was trying to answer that point and explain why I think he does.

We might sign a winger or midfielder, we will see soon enough.

2. The players who were earning crazy nothing and hardly giving any return have been isolated and are no longer getting away with providing s**t performances every week and still finding themselves in the team the following week.

No quite right,  they are now in a position of earning shitloads and contributing nothing at all

Well if nobody wants them I'd rather they were doing that than turning in woeful performances in our 1st team.

I there that much difference between a right/left sided attacker and a winger?

Edited by Nigel

I had a re-think on the AM, for an AM to work he basically has to be the focal point of the side, he has to play in pockets and you have to get him the ball. Also think it's no coincidence that Chelsea strikers struggle because of the AM's behind them as in strikers like the ball a lot quicker. For me bringing in an AM will reduce the threat Benteke gives to teams.

N'Zogbia isn't part of the plans in my view, had he not injured himself I think he would have been with the other outcasts this summer.

I do agree that Gabby and Weimann can play up front but if they are doing that we are still short over cover then outwide. We play with 3 strikers, we haven't sufficient cover for them.

Yep I agree that N'Zogbia is clearly a player Lambert would like to move on. Big wages for doing nowt etc

However he played him last year and he didn't do too bad. I think if injuries got us to the point where we needed to play Tonev and N'Zogbia wide of a front man he would do it.

What I'm saying is I think of anyone in the bomb squad I think he still has a chance of featuring again.

I had a re-think on the AM, for an AM to work he basically has to be the focal point of the side, he has to play in pockets and you have to get him the ball. Also think it's no coincidence that Chelsea strikers struggle because of the AM's behind them as in strikers like the ball a lot quicker. For me bringing in an AM will reduce the threat Benteke gives to teams.

I had re-think too and I wouldn't be surprised if they player bought will be someone who can play as striker, wide forward and attacking mid to give us flexibility and cover. The obvious problem is that there aren't many those kind of players within our budget who could jump into the team.

We play with 3 strikers, we haven't sufficient cover for them.

We don't play with three strikers, we play with one and we have two wide midfielders/wingers. Gabby + Weimann  play those positions because they have the speed and stamina to get forward and support Benteke yet also get back to help Luna + Lowton.

If Benteke gets injured, the replacement will be Helenius, Gabby or Weimann.

If Gabby or Weimann gets injured, then their place will be taken by Tonev, Bacuna, Delph, Bowery, or Albrighton.

We have plenty of 'battlers' in the middle like Delph, El Ahmedi and Sylla. Westwood is sitting in there, mopping up and spreading the ball. No one who can play just in front of them with the creativity/trickery to unlock good defences. And if anyone thinks N'Zogbia is the answer, they need their head examined.

• Like 1