Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

Howard Hodgson ‏@HowardHodgson 1h

@mcnamee_john I am guessing at Fischer John but PF mentioned no names and I wasn't about to press him..

Howard Hodgson ‏@HowardHodgson 1h

In answer to questions "who" I wouldn't press the CEO on a name but someone he said "Who would make a difference". #avfc

...thank fook...we're buying a centre half who can tackle and head a ball to play with Okore.

Although I can understand some criticisms of Vlaar, I'd say you've just identified two things that he's actually quite good at.

Kiyotake left out tonight apparently

The entire squad or starting line up?
Came on as a sub with 20mins to go. Nuremberg lost the game 2-0. What is interesting is that they were playing Bayern and didn't player him despite probably being their best player.... Could be tactical or could be other reasons.... Edited by Tayls

Today has just highlighted even more what were lacking

Liverpool shut up shop with 25 mins to go and we couldn't break them down

Agreed, not sure whether it was purely luck or whether Rodgers played a very good hand. Personally I think they purposely set out to get a goal early before literally sitting back for the entire game. 

We're good on the break but we don't really have a player who can open a defence up through the middle. Gabby can run past players easily on his day I know, but we need a player that is able to open up defences with passes from a forward position. Westwood is good at playing balls from deep but we can't always play balls from deep, especially if teams decide to sit back like today, we'll just be kicking balls into a mass of bodies.

I think Lambert & co. know what they are doing anyway and I think they'll bring in a player who can open things up.

• Like 1

I think Rodgers had his tactics and did well enough. He knew the FA had screwed us with so many tough matches in a short amount of time so they'd be fresher and they purposefully wore us down in the first half, got a goal through the one bit of skill Sturridge brought the entire game and then sat back for the second half knowing that they could repel us because we don't have a plan B and haven't had one for the longest time.

We were poor today I thought. Whether that was because we were tired or just because we're not good enough to break down teams at home when they set up shop, I'm not sure. I think that will happen a fair bit at home this season. We're much better as the away side.

Something has to be done because it really is evident that we are still lacking in something. The fact of the matter is, we have lost 2 games in a row including our first home game of the season. Yes, we had a tough start and are one of two teams who has played more times this week than any other team in the Prem but, for some reason, I expected a little more from today.

I hope there are plans to add that extra something because, i really don't think we have enough to have a comfortable campaign.

Something has to be done because it really is evident that we are still lacking in something. The fact of the matter is, we have lost 2 games in a row including our first home game of the season. Yes, we had a tough start and are one of two teams who has played more times this week than any other team in the Prem but, for some reason, I expected a little more from today.

I hope there are plans to add that extra something because, i really don't think we have enough to have a comfortable campaign.

Not that I don't agree that we're lacking something (mainly, an advanced playmaker), but we really did have a tough start. I don't think it's a coincidence that our worst performance was the 3rd game in the week.

I didn't expect too much from today. We are an excellent counter attacking team, which suits us away from home. However, we lack any form of creativity in the middle of the park. We had 17 attempts today but most of them were shit long shots because our players couldn't get through Liverpool's deep defence with Lucas and Gerrard sat on the edge of their area.

Until we add a Kiyotake or Belhanda type player the majority of home games will be more difficult than the away fixtures this season.

• Like 1

Not that I don't agree that we're lacking something (mainly, an advanced playmaker), but we really did have a tough start. I don't think it's a coincidence that our worst performance was the 3rd game in the week.

Yep, could have been the case that some of the players were a little tired. But, never mind, there is an opportunity on Wednesday for some of the other players to have a go, perhaps Helenius can start and Benteke can have a rest. No Prem game now until the 14th September and then we can go again...

• Like 1

Although I'm not usually one for placing too much emphasis on small decisions, it did seem odd that Kiyotake was left out against Bayern.

Either way, with Bent's wages off the books, and rumours that Ireland may be off shortly, this could give us the green light to spend a bit of money on a player who may indeed "make the difference", whoever it is.  I'd be very surprised if we managed to bring in Viktor Fischer, though.

Although I'm not usually one for placing too much emphasis on small decisions, it did seem odd that Kiyotake was left out against Bayern.

Either way, with Bent's wages off the books, and rumours that Ireland may be off shortly, this could give us the green light to spend a bit of money on a player who may indeed "make the difference", whoever it is.  I'd be very surprised if we managed to bring in Viktor Fischer, though.

Any new Ireland news?

If he sat the whole game, then it might cause one to speculate, but he played the last 20 minutes. 

We really should go in with a 12 million bid for Kiyo. Whatever it takes.

We win so many free kicks in and around the box with Benteke and Gabby. We have to have the worst set piece record in the Premier League the last few years. When i saw Delph and Bacuna lining one up.. i just didnt even feel hope.. i just knew nothing would come of it. Westwood's corners are shit. We need a player that can take corners and free kicks.

Delph El Ahmadi and Westwood are too similar to play at home. They are holding players. One of the three has to be a creative player.

Kiyotake would bring 5-10 goals just from set pieces and possibly 5 goals of his own. Cant say the same from our current midfielders.

We have barely spent anything and with Bent and possibly Ireland gone (if the rumours are true) then theres no excuses.

Come on Randy. Back Paul.

Edited by KSV

I'd be surprised and delighted if it were Fischer we're after, but, having said that, I don't think he'd be *quite* ready to start in the PL consistently, and he's really more of a winger/wide forward than a #10. Someone 2-4 years older, more developed as a dedicated central playmaker who could drop straight into the side is where we have to be looking. We have to use the ball more intelligently in the middle of the park. Delph and co get out of the center circle and the only thing we can do is go wide, trying to find Gabby or Andi to get behind the fullbacks, or wait for Benteke to show for the ball, which means he either has to come deep or has to turn his back to goal and look to lay it off, but since our current midfielders almost never follow up with runs in the attacking third, he's also stuck looking for Gabby or Andi or just trying to do everything himself, which, obviously, will only work occasionally.

We don't have anyone to dictate the pace in midfield, we only have one style and were easily shown up yesterday as unable to compete in the middle - hardly surprising given the age and experience. We also need other sticking options. Our core 11 still basically picks itself at the moment, but that may change over the season as it did last.

Edited by thunderball

Still seeing suggestions of Fischer, a lot of people on Twitter are saying Ajax will sell as they have money problems, I've had a look on the Internet and haven't seen any stories on their 'money problems' so I haven't a clue where that has come from, can someone enlighten me? :-)