Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

Also PL players are overvalued.

Nail on the head here.

I'm excited by the signings. I get the feeling Tonev will have a big impact at some point, and the guys from last year will come out guns blazing. I wouldn't be surprised at giving Arsenal a fair go, they aren't that good. Not even on paper.

Aston Villa Officials in Pescara for Transfer Talks #avfc

pinch of salt required..

If they say Quintero they are VERY late... he joined Porto a while ago xD I don't know who else we could be in for from Pescara....

What football team plays near Pescara..?

Pescara.... :) Got relegated from Serie A season just gone... very young team like ours...

pinch of salt required..

If they say Quintero they are VERY late... he joined Porto a while ago xD I don't know who else we could be in for from Pescara....

What football team plays near Pescara..?

Virtus Laciano.

That's if you already count Pescara....

Edited by juteface

2   DF Damiano Zanon 3   DF Per Krøldrup 4   MF Emmanuel Cascione (captain) 5   DF Marco Capuano 6   DF Luciano Zauri 7   FW Giuseppe Sculli (on loan from Lazio) 8   MF Birkir Bjarnason 9   FW Elvis Abbruscato 10   MF Mervan Çelik 11   MF Francesco Modesto (on loan from Parma) 14   DF Antonio Balzano 15   DF Antonio Bocchetti 18   MF Giuseppe Rizzo (on loan from Reggina) 19   FW Lucas Chiaretti 21   MF Eugênio Rômulo Togni 22   FW Ante Vukušić

Thats their first team, no names ring any bells for me. 

Edited by KjParton

I'm not convinced the solution to the defensive problem is as simple as bringing in an experienced CB or, for that matter, that none of our existing CB's are good enough players, individually.  The problem seems more related to team defending and organization.  Last season and from the few highlights I've seen this season, you look at teams coming at us on the break and it just doesn't look like there's an understanding of who needs to be where to prevent a good scoring opportunity.  We constantly look like we're one alert pass or run away from being sliced open.  Obviously, a lot of that is about the back 4 and their individual reading of the game, but a lot of it is about how they're being coached as a unit and a good part of it is about how the midfielders are integrated into the defensive approach.  A new CB won't solve those issues, and I hope to god the coaching staff are working on them.

Vlaar isn't the world-beater we'd hoped for but he's still a pretty good player and his presence did make a big difference when he came back from injury, I think largely because he provided some leadership and organization.  I thought Baker played quite well on balance.  His own goal was more misfortune than glaring mistake in my view.  The only other big mistake I recall was the reckless challenge for a penalty (Suarez?).  I agree with the poster who thinks Lowton is being a bit overrated on here, particularly defensively, but he's still adequate or better.  Clark and Bennett should not start a game unless we only have 11 fit players.  Haven't seen enough of Luna and Okore to judge but can't fathom that Luna wouldn't be a better option than Bennett.  It would be nice to get another defender or two that are a step up from what we've got, but I don't expect it to happen and it shouldn't be necessary if the coaching staff get their act together.

• Like 3

how about Abdisalam Ibrahim, 22, fits lamberts young potential philosophy... Just noticed he's been released on a free by city, plays as dmc and doesnt look to bad a player just don't think he's been given the time at city to show his worth.. can't imagine wages would be to much and think him and sylla would be a good two.. Any opinions ???

He was a big talent who grew up 10 minutes from me. He was actually very good at a young age and then he was picked up by city. Has been loaned out to Strømsgodset, who is a team that focus a lot on young talents and has a really good policy. Unfortunately, he never became good as some people expected, but he is still highly rated by many. But no, he is not good enough for our team. 

pinch of salt required..

Almost certainly nonsense but to play along the only person I could think of is Marco Capuano - young Italy u21 CB.

Hmm young CB like Okore.

I secretly hoped for an attacking player but would welcome this lad. 

There is also Vladimir Weiss who played for them last season, not sure if he's still there or been sold though, but would be a good addition.

EDIT: Even if true, it's not Weiss, signed for Olympiacos a month ago  :blush: Although what I've heard of Celik and Capuano, they would be good signings also.

Edited by MessiWillSignForVilla

I notice the mirror are reporting stephen Ireland could be hoining shay given on loan at donny.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-transfer-news-stephen-2086709

By Darren Lewis | 24/07/13

Stephen Ireland is poised to follow Shay Given to Doncaster.

Rovers boss Paul Dickov is poised to benefit from a big cash injection which will enable him to land the two Premier League stars from Aston Villa.

Like Given, 26-year-old midfielder Ireland has been frozen out by Paul Lambert at Villa Park and is looking to revive his career in the Championship.

Given has been left out of Lambert’s pre-season plans. The Ireland keeper, 37, has made over 400 appearances in the top flight, but has lost his place at Villa to Brad Guzan. Given has agreed to join Rovers on a season-long loan.

Also PL players are overvalued.

Nail on the head here.

I'm excited by the signings. I get the feeling Tonev will have a big impact at some point, and the guys from last year will come out guns blazing. I wouldn't be surprised at giving Arsenal a fair go, they aren't that good. Not even on paper.

I would very surprised if we gave Arsenal anything close to a 'Fair Go'  - If you can describe arsenal as 'Not that Good' - well ......'Shudder !'